Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I have been working on all the content for this for about a month and a half from conception to creation. I have designed user interface and web designs since 2005. This website is all about what I offer, what I've done, and how I can help my clients.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Warm regards,
    -Tim

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Hi - I really like your site. I particularly like the subtle colour changes in the top block on each page. It's a great idea to offer your stuff for download - and offering some of it as freebies is wonderful!

The only thing I would change is that I'd like to see the off-site links (to the sites in your portfolio, for example) open in a new tab, so I didn't have to use my "back button so much.

I think you are very lucky to be so talented and so accomplished at your age - keep up the good work.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Hey Tim,

Been a while since you've posted here! Always really loved your interfaces... wondering why you don't tweak the website with some of that style? Even something simple like radiused corners would add some flare. Right now, it's just too flat and boxy (imo) to display the highly dimensional, organic designs. The contrast is so significant it makes it look like you're blogging about someone else's work rather than presenting your own.

Member #
    wow now thats a very well thought out and put together portfolio!

I particularly like the following:

Very cool stand out logo
    Clean font and colours
    The button to return to the top that appears and disappears ( I would love to know how you did this)
    The moving block quotes

Good work!!
    | Todd Fraser
    | http://www.toddfraser.co.uk
    | toddfraserdesign.wordpress.com

Member #
    @Alpha - I use standard linking codes, a href tags. Try using a browser with tabs.

@smoseley - Thanks for your input, although I feel inclined to state that I actually focus a lot on cleaner designs as well. I am more renowned for my highly detailed works, but I like to demonstrate my abilities as a well rounded graphic designer as well.

@Fraze - I appreciate the kind words. The scroll to top script is a jQuery script. Google "jQuery scroll to top" or something along those lines, there are a bunch of them out there. The moving block quotes are actually jQuery as well.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I do use a browser with tabs - but the links on your site open in the current tab, rather than a new one. The only way I can get them to open in a new tab is to right-click and choose it from the menu. I'm just saying that it would be nice to bypass that and have them open automatically in the new tab.

The code I use to open in a new tab is

Code:
    <a href="http://www.someurl.com" target="_blank">
    Unfortunately the target attribute has been deprecated for a while now by the W3C, and this does affect the validation, although I believe it is still allowed in the transitional DTD.

I have been looking for a better way to do this for a while now but have no better answer.

I do know that the links from these forums automatically open in a new tab, maybe there is another method to do that, that the moderators would like to share?

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    I used to use this method, it works in all major browsers, it's valid, and if the user doesn't have javascript there is a fallback to the default way of functioning:

Code:
    <a href="http://site.com/" onclick="return ! window.open(this.href);">Site.com</a>
    This works in transitional html and strict xhtml.

The reason I chose not to use this is because the regular way of doing it works fine. You can also scroll-click (if you mouse has a scroller on it) to open up new tabs, I do this because it is faster than right click and then choosing "Open in new tab."

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Thanks - that's very helpful.
    I don't seem to have enough hours in my days to learn everything I want to!

Cheers,

Member #
    Made a bunch of updates, redid the home page too: Tim Silva | New Media Designer

Remove Ads