Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Take a look...

Banned
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.3 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.8 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

While "another" social networking site, I have tried to keep the interface on this very simple with very low and unobtrusive ads and simple menus.

Still has all of the tools of major sites like status updates that can be viewed on the activity stream (easily filtered for your activity or friends), blogs, wiki style pages, event calendar, private messaging, etc.

Check it out. Would love feedback, both good and bad!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Comments on design:

1. Nice clean layout - I really like the way the login area slides down. You might consider making the text there a bit brighter, easier to read, and check the alignment.

2. Check your spelling on "Intuitive photo albums"

3. Your images that link in to the various areas of the site, wile they are representative of the subject matter, are not very cohesive - they are unbalanced. You might want to look for images that are all the same weight, and within the same colour scheme or theme. For example - a little guy painting, a little guy doing a puzzle, some little guys holding hands, etc.

4. The fonts, layout, and whitespace are very pleasing to they eye. Really stays well within your theme of "Uncluttered" space for sharing and exchange.

5. While I do not usually like any ads at all on a site, yours are well-placed and don't get in the way.

Comments on usability, etc:

1. It's very slow to load - try using relative rather than absolute links in your HTML head- something like
    instead of

2. I'd like to be able to explore just a bit further before making up my mind whether to register or not. As it stands now I would leave the site because I don't want to give registration info before knowing more about what is being offered. Some examples of what is being offered would be good.

3. The FAQ, while it is good to have it in your footer, should be more prominently displayed as well elsewhere on the page, especially if that is all the info I can get to before registering.

4. The security part in you privacy policy is awfully vague
    We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you access your personal information.
    Perhaps you could be a bit more specific without giving too much away?

5. the Terms of Use is very good

Overall I really like the concept and the design. I got very tired of the other S.N. sites very fast, I have no interest in nor time for virtual farms or bizarre quizzes sent to me by bored teens who know my kids, and you can poke me at your peril! This would be exactly the kind of place I would join, I think - I just would like to be able to explore a bit more before committing.

Cheers,
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Banned
    Member #
    Well I really, really thank you for the review. Very generous to spend the time for a thoughtful review vs. the usual "cool site."

Spelling. Wow. Pet peeve here but obviously spend so much time on this I overlooked the obvious. Thanks. (if notepad only had spell check!)

Thanks for the input on the relative vs. absolute references. I'm not sure why I used absolute... seems like early-on there was a reason, but.... I am going to fix (already fixed the spelling!).

I will take your advice on the FAQ's. Thanks. This is yet another item that really helps to have outside opinion on as its easy to get lost in the project. The privacy was on my list of things to do... briefly put some broad info together and have been intending on detailing.

Your overall comments on SN sites is exactly the user I am targeting. I have worked hard on making the communication aspects easy, useful, and competitive with the "big boys", but keeping the interface clean and simple. I have included a somewhat fun and quirky "Gifts" feature, but there are no games, farms, polls, etc., and one of my goals is to keep it that way.

By the way, the only registration info I ask is your display name, email (verified for account) and password.

Still, I would be glad to create a demo account if you would be interested. (can you tell that I really like your input?)

Anyways, thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I'm glad you liked my input - I try to be honest and have clear reasons why I make the suggestions I do. I'd also like to point out that I have had great help from people here on these forums, so passing on some thoughtful commentary seems only fair.

You don't have to go to the trouble of making a dummy account for me - maybe just put this info
    the only registration info I ask is your display name, email (verified for account) and password.
    somewhere on the first page so those of us who a a bit registration-shy can make an easier decision.

Is the site live, now, for registration?

And what font did you use in your logo? I really, REALLY, like it.

Cheers,

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Banned
    Member #
    Yes, the site is live. If you do try an account out, please give e any feedback you might have on the registration process, i.e. message and instructions clarity, etc.

Yeah, I like to point out that Google and forums built my site. Whenever I had a code or layout question I just couldn't figure out, I turned to one of these two sources. (I am far from a programmer!).

Good point on the registration... I am VERY hesitant to give much information on unknown sites. I am going to work on something along the lines of "registration is easy... all you need is..." info on the landing.

The font for the logo is century gothic. I wanted something that appeared clean and maybe a bit more "business like."

Take care.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    OK - I signed up and I have to say I love the red notification bars. (I'd like to know how you do that - I am going to be starting an e-mail sign-up on my site soon and would really like to do something like that for it.)

I'll browse around over the next while and let you know what I think.

And Century Gothic, eh? I knew I liked it for a reason - I use that on my site.

Cheers,

Quick note: I just had a quick look around the blogs - what's with the Ampicillin Online advert blog? It raises the question of how the content will be monitored.

Banned
    Member #
    I get quite a few spam sign-ups, usually something to do with prescription drugs(?).

Most are blatant spam, they simply sign up with a weird descriptive screen names and no info posted. A few, like the one you noted, do post information on a page or blog.

Depending on their other content, I usually give a user a chance to remove the post that is in violation of TOS. I had this marked for account deletion and have went ahead and deleted.

I do try and monitor, but I only monitor info that is posted as "public" or if it has been reported by another user.

The notification bars are internal in the core of the PHP of the platform I am using. I'll be glad to share any code, plug-ins, etc. with you. This whole site is based on open-source code.

Member #
    Website Review

Without Registering it looks pretty good. It looks very SIMPLE. I would love to see how you bring out the functionality after the registering. Perhaps I'll register and take a deeper look. On the main page I do find it has a lot of white space but I guess this is the simple look you are going for. Well Done.

Member #
    Very good looking website!

Your website, speaking in terms of its appearance and content is very attractive and you should be expecting massive traffic if your advertising the right way, so good luck from here..:knockedout:

Banned
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrie Websites View Post
    Without Registering it looks pretty good. It looks very SIMPLE. I would love to see how you bring out the functionality after the registering. Perhaps I'll register and take a deeper look. On the main page I do find it has a lot of white space but I guess this is the simple look you are going for. Well Done.
    Thanks. I did put info on the landing page detailing the items needed for registration (display name, email, password) for the "register shy."

I am working on a mobile version currently as well as adding some fields to the profile for a fuller, more complete, profile "home."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads