Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Education Site

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Would greatly appreciate any feedback. I think the content is pretty complete but may want to improve the design. It tries to appeal to children and adults, including K-8, as well as parents and teachers. Seems to have evolved into a bit of hodgepodge - is it time to redesign?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    why would you put ads on a kids educational site?

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    OK - I don't mean to be harsh - the concept is a good one and this site could be a really useful tool for kids, teachers and parents alike. But as it stands this is a very busy and confusing design. There is just too much going on - I can't tell what I'm supposed to do here or where I'm going. I didn't realize that the flashcards were links for a awfully long time - until I read down the left column far enough to get to the "How to use this page" link - most folks would have left the site by then.

In my opinion, for a good start you need to
    ~ simplify the layout, add clear, concise descriptions of the page elements and their functions for your visitors ("Click on the flashcards to play!").
    ~ get rid of the busy background - it's cute but very distracting. The use of prmary colours is good, but simplify so that the kids can focus better.
    ~ keep the links in the left column the same on each page - consistent navigation is one basic key to user-friendliness.
    ~ And please - I know, I say this a lot - get the styling off the page and into an external stylesheet. I see you have one (flashcard.css) - why have inline styling as well?

Your "about this site" page could be a starting point for a simpler and more coherent design.

As far as the ads go, if they're there to pay for your hosting or something, to keep the site going, then I guess they're there to stay. At least try to make sure they are targeted to age- and topic-appropriate ads. Since apparently you are using Google for the ads, you can filter the ads that appear.

I hope this helps,
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Thank you AlphaMare. I did the simplest of your recommendations and put a basic instruction at the top of the homepage. It seems to have had an immediate impact as visit duration increased substantially and percent of 0-30s visits decreased noticeably the day after making the change. Look forward to watching the site's stats for the rest of the month to see if something that simple can really have such an impact. Your other recommendations make a lot of sense - I need to seriously contemplate a redesign of the entire scheme. Thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I'm flattered that you took my advice - and delighted that the results are so readily and immediately visible!

I've had lots of really good advice from many different sources on my journey from housewife to web designer, and I'm always happy if what I have learned can help someone else.

Keep us posted on further improvements as they happen - it will be fascinating to see the site evolve.

Cheers,
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads