Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is a website I'm doing and it is targeting CEOs and employers to try and help their employees by providing more financial needs as well as employees looking to educate themselves on finances. I wanted to incorporate some of the pictures I found on iStockPhotos because of the name of the website.

The links would be on the bottom, and when a person mouses over the links, the links would pop up from the bottom, showing more optional links. I wanted to know if there was a better, more professional yet creative way, to have the website?

I have a picture of the mockup so far attached. Any input is fantastic because I'm completely stuck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    simple is good. if you over do it, it will take away from the content. don't forget to add some social tool for marketing and seo reasons

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Why on earth would you put the links on the bottom?

I am not trying to be unduly negative here, but you really need to rethink your layout.

Is the size of the image the actual size of the site (in pixels)? If so, you are going to have scrolling problems. Not everyone has their browser open to maximum size - and for those who don't, the navigation could easily fall below the fold and get lost. There is a reason that most nav is either in the top or at the left of the site. Browsers use the upper left corner as their starting point, and so keeping the nav near there ensures that it will not get lost.

If you want to add Pizzazz to your site, there are better ways to do it than turning it upside down. Use some really good layout (see the 960 Grid) and some great graphics and most of all, make sure every bit of content is relevant and to the point.

Good luck,
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    I wanted to know if there was a better, more professional yet creative way, to have the website?
    Get your hands on the content. Take photos of clients to support testimonials. Build the layout to support the content types which will appear with.

In other words design an interface, don't decorate one. Have content drive design decisions, don't use gimmicks to distract from a disastrous lack of content strategy.

"Getting Real" design tip: Just say no to Lorem Ipsum; all greeking content does is to demote yourself to providing pretty but pointless content irrelevant design.

Right now what you have is a splash page that is trying not to be a splash page. And a confusing stock photo you think is a creative sight gag.

Content driven design, with visuals focusing on customers and the Experts which Determine whether a Site Visitor should find the site a credible source of advice would be shockingly creative, having rarely been attempted.

A compulsive craving for Pizzaz! is the leading symptom of a serious substance deficiency and lack of user relevance. Denial being a confirming symptom.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    altho i agree with you DC, i just picked up a management gig with a guy that paid a company with a site not to dif from this guys.... to do his email campaign. very generic images can work(sad but true).

p.s. why you gota hate on the lorem ipsum lol.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Hi Abbster22,

A nice clean and simple design you've got there. You could do with something in the top-right as its looking a little unfinished from that respect.

Have you thought how the bottom navigation will play out once coded? On a long page it'll make it very hard to navigate around the site. I would consider moving it to the header.

------------

On this Lorum Ipsum nonsense:

I really cant understand what the heck the issue with 'Lipsum' is. Its dummy text - its never seen live and is there to provide 'fill' until content is added. Its not always practical to add 'real' content when designing as it'll likely either change or not be available at an early stage.

'Haters' of Lorium Ipsum provide an extremely weak argument against it. Saying it isn't valuable information is pretty stupid - its purpose is not to be valuable. It's to be purposeful. It fulfils the purpose of providing a 'fill' for an otherwise blank text box.

Having said that, at the end of the day its each to his own. But don't dictate to people that they must not use Lorium Ipsum as its simply not your call.

Rant over.
    --------

(DC - From his quote, I think the OP was referring to design, not content)

Member #
    @DC

Felt like I just had to pitch in on this one.
    You have obviously never worked in the Web Design / Development field for the average customer. Yeah in some instances this may stand true and the contents of the blog may be correct. But 9 times out of 10 this is in no way practical.
    If we ('we' being the company i work for) had always insisted on content before we make / design a site then the company would have gone bust ages ago.
    Your argument against it (and the blog posts) is a lame one. The majority of customers that Web Design companies get are not massive rich companies who can devote time and effort to writing the content on the first instance, they do it as and when they can and as a result we can be waiting (despite constant reminding that we need the content) up to 4 weeks for it.
    The whole point of Lorem is to provide a visual element so a user can see what a design looks like with text in it, if we gave a customer a mockup of a design which was empty they'd turn around and ask for a copy with dummy / example text in.
    Designing and building websites for the average customer, which I would have thought counts for around 8 out of every 10 web design companies, without dummy content is just impossible.

This (and that blog post) is one thing that really grates on me in the web industry. All the big blogs and posts think they know everything yet most of what they say only applies for the big companies like themselves and is of no use to smaller agencies which make up a larger proportion of the web industry.
    Mike Barlow
    WDF Co-Owner

Need help? PM Me!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i can see the bottom nav working because you end your read at the bottom of the page, in this case removing the need to scroll all the way to the top before getting the next page. but in fairness they may only read a portion and look but not see the links and leave the site. maybe fixed positioning at the bottom of the screen instead of the bottom of the page. just a thought.

Remove Ads