Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is the first site I've built in a good 1 1/2 years maybe 2 years.

If you've read my introduction post you'll know I'm building this site as a favour to my HGV/LGV training provider for all the help he's given me.

Any comments welcomed

Thanks
    LR

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Not bad for someone who's been out of the game a while and was originally taught in a school, bro. It's clean, it's simple, and it gets the point across. So I'm down with it overall.

A few things:

1) You're in England. And because you're in England, that means you fall under the jurisdiction of the British government and their nebulous and really confusing Equality Act (formerly British Disability Discrimination Act). It's actually pretty straightforward as it pertains to websites when you analyze it more closely, but it's explained really awkwardly.

Oversimplified short version:

a) Alt attributes on all images (unless they're backgrounds, in which case you can't). You need those. While you're at it, define widths and heights for your images too so that you can assign placeholders and your page doesn't do all sorts of weird stretchy stuff while it loads.
    b) High contrast so that people with contrast issues can see. You got that covered nicely.
    c) Proper use of tags for headings/subheadings. This is where h2 would come into play. You can have one H1 heading...well, theoretically, you can have multiple headings. But from both an SEO and more importantly a user point of view you're generally better off having a clear h1 tag per page and then several subheadings (h2, h3, etc.) as appropriate.
    d) Accesskeys if you can. These are keys that people can use to navigate your site instead of a mouse.

For example, if I did this:

<a href="#" accesskey="0">Home</a>

A user could then hit alt-0 and go to the Home link in the menu. Pretty cool, huh? I usually use numeric accesskeys for major navigation. I try to avoid letters because different browsers interpret letters differently.

There are more aspects to accessibility, but these would be the big ones you'd personally have to worry about. If you want to learn more, check out www.webcredible.co.uk . They've got some good information that way.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    A user could then hit alt-0 and go to the Home link in the menu. Pretty cool, huh? I usually use numeric accesskeys for major navigation. I try to avoid letters because different browsers interpret letters differently.
    How would people know to do that? I just found out right now!
    Pertaining to the site: I really like the nice, clean layout. The colors in the header are well-chosen and look good.
    One thing: I don't think you need the awesome image slideshow on all your pages. Just use it as sort of an intro on your home page, and drop it in the rest of the pages. It takes up a lot of space, and it takes up loading time. You are better off adding small images throughout your 'LGV Courses' and 'Contact' page (even though the contact page doesn't exist yet, apparently...). Like the site though, good job.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Regarding the intro images they are intended to be removed and smaller ones used.

I've yet to get to the yard and get pictures of the lorries

Thanks for the hints so far people, much appreciated

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by George Dolidze, post: 210206
    How would people know to do that? I just found out right now!
    This is one of the great joys and curses of the web, kid. If you ask the right questions, you'll find out stuff just like this. The problem is in knowing the right questions to ask.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Pretty good, I would advise that you change "Call us on" to "Call us at". And perhaps a different menu on top that looked a bit more clean. Other than that great job for someone who hasn't done it in a while.

Remove Ads