Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi everyone,

I'd like to get a review on my first site for my portfolio. The site is for my father, so it was free for him.

Thanks!

*note the CSS errors are due to me using CSS3, and a google font, so they are not errors.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm guessing you're Gary Carpenter, Jr., based on what I'm reading.

I dig your dad's idea. It's like a headhunter agency meets a positive change group. I really dig it.

The major issue that I have with the site is that it's not really communicated that way right away. Initially, I thought it was a straight headhunter agency and brought nothing different to the table. I'm glad to say upon further review of the site that I was dead wrong on that, but initially this is what other people will say.

What I would suggest is tweaking the tagline or adding a slogan on the right side indicating something along the lines of "employment and career coaching skills for people with disabilities" or...tweak as needed. But have it right on the top where people can see it and know what the site's about right away.

The other thing I would suggest, and this is probably going to be next to impossible at this point, is to use a color other than orange. Red would work better in this case as an example, because a light red would provide sufficient contrast against the dark background (or you could stroke it in white), and a medium or dark red would provide sufficient contrast against the white. Since you're dealing with the disabled and since vision disorders and blindness are a subset of that, this is something you might want to consider.

One minor code thing: h1 tags. Use one on every page to indicate what it's about. This is good for both SEO and design purposes (a header indicates what the page is about right away). Make it unique for each page, but use it. Very well coded from what I saw other than that.

And one last suggestion...if you've got the contact form, don't publish an email address openly. Here's why, and it's one of the rare times Wikipedia actually explains something properly. I'd also recommend using an email address of the form @rightfitcareers.org to add a bit of professionalism and subtle promotion (the website's domain is at the back end of the email.)

Anyway, good luck to your dad. He's got a really good idea there. I'm going to do something to help try and get some more reviews for you in a second.
    Gary Carpenter likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There. Stickied.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Hey, I appreciate the tips and sticky, thank you! Yeah, I'm Gary Carpenter too.

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Very nice:

Being a veteran myself I must say, your father is a remarkable man.

I found one thing only, in the "Services" Page, many sentences do not have a period at the end.
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No probs, Gary.

Come on folks, let's help this brother out.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    All,
    This isn't the first place he's posted this. On another forum, I've seen his design go through several stages. He is definitely learning as he goes along, and learning well.

Gary,
    My only issue is the social media logos. I like the mouseover effect, but I think the initial state may be a bit dark. Your design has come a long way. Hell of a job.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Thanks Ron...appreciate it

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 211345
    All,
    This isn't the first place he's posted this. On another forum, I've seen his design go through several stages. He is definitely learning as he goes along, and learning well.
    That's cool, man. It's good to see someone take this game seriously, learn, study, and be appreciative of others' efforts to help in kind.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Well done site!
    The only thing I found a bit odd was that the links at the bottom, only two pages were respresented: Home and Contact. ???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads