Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    45 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.7 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.7 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.7 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is a website I've been working on for my school Engineering/Technology Department and our TSA program. I would like professional web designers to look at the site, rate it, and then give me any tips/suggestions you may have for the website.
    I need some ideas for a better looking footer. If you have any ideas, post them.

I have most of the website created, but I only want the MAIN PAGE TO BE RATED. Once I finish the website, I'll post it and have the whole website rated.

I'm a 15 year old beginner website designer with no professional training. I'm learning through W3schools and books, so don't expect anything "Amazing".

THE LEFT NAV AND THE SCROLL BOX SCRIPTS ARE NOT MINE. I'M USING SCRIPTS I FOUND ONLINE TO GET A FEEL FOR THE DESIGN. I WILL CREATE MY OWN AFTER I STUDY jQuery FOR A WHILE.
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    By the way, I don't have any videos uploaded yet. So the "Videos" area will only have the container for the videos.
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Links on the left not working and one redirects to your hosting company default error page. (i guess thtas the part not yet done)
    Is there any reasons you choosed those colors? that orange over the grey...
    My site? oh here--->www.host4go.com

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I've made many of the pages that go on the left nav, but I don't want to post those yet.

My schools colors are orange, blue, and white. I tried to use that color scheme, but it looked really bad. So I chose to focus on the orange and white, and take out the blue. Too much orange would hurt people's eyes, so I decided to use that in some of the graphics and the left nav. The area where most of the content goes is white, so I chose a dark grey as the background to the whole page. It looked good so I kept it.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    What if I'm not a professional
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I just want experienced web designers to rate the website, and give me any tips they may have.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd actually go back to the blue over the grey, if it's a dark enough shade of blue. It'll go better with the orange. At the very least, mix more of it in.

This is especially true when you use white text on an orange background. Contrast dictates that orange goes best with a darker color, not a lighter one (even though it can be aesthetically more pleasing, it's still harder to read.) Besides, you can't break the Beach Boys rule:

You can counter that with a light/pastel blue for the lighter grey menus.

You've got a HUGE hole right here.

http://www.my-testing-area.netne.net/

Directory browsing is a bigtime no-no. So rename your Engineering_Tech_Index.php either index.php or default.php (note the lower case here).

I might recap the top menu in the footer, or the key elements that you want people to visit.

Other than that...don't have a lot of thoughts.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    yeah.. you shouldn't have caps in your filenames. That twas my teacher's pet peeve, and he was right about it.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    This website is for my school. It's just on this server so I can test it live. I'll change the file names once I'm ready to post it on the schools server. I'll also add the blue and see how it looks.

Also, please rate my site at the top so I can see what you think in specific areas.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi blackhawk,

Very impressed given your age and no proper training.

Just the home page then...

Personally, I love grey and orange together. What I think makes the grey look slightly out of place is the use of the lighter grey in the nav on the left. I would try a few different combinations there. I would also soften the orange in the nav on the left so that it's more in line with the orange line above, I think that may help the harshness of the two together.

I would probably experiment with reducing the width of the text and placing an image to the right. Maybe you could fit your scrolling news into to the right of the text, which would move the videos up to a more prominent position.

Good luck with the project.
    Blackhawk095 and m3n0tu18 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads