Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi

Looks like a real nice board glad i stumbled upon it : )

I recently decided to redo my business site and decided that i wanted to do something with a stark design feel while still keeping it simple and easy to use. I have been reading alot about typography lately and decided to stick with mainly type for the design. I thought i would try to rail against the idea of having stuff on the site just to have it, i mean do you need to be able to search the web from my site or check the weather etc.

any comments would be appreciated (and remember be nice im an orphan ; )

www.infernoproductions.ca

thnks
    deck2k

Member #
    Welcome to the boards deck. Here are my thoughts on your site:
    1. I don't like the splash screen you have, it looks like the top of the image got cut off. Also, splash screens are useless, they are another step users must take to get to your site.
    2. There is alot of white empty space in your design. There is no banner image, just a logo in the left corner.
    3. Some mouseovers for your nav would be nice. The site could use some graphical work, it seems kind of plain right now.
    4. I'd change the Copyright notice's font. It looks out of place right now.

That's just my two cents, take it for what it's worth. Welcome to the boards!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Everything Spluf said and i dont like how tiny your info protion is. theres only a few lines before a scrollbar :/. It looks fine when the conent doesnt need to scroll but otherwse i dont like seeing a scrollbar for something so tiny. Maybe you could make the table 100% because your content doesnt scroll much so it wouldnt get to much bigger.
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

Member #
    Major OVerhaul..Take a gander

Hi Guys : )

Well ive been taking all your comments and suggestions and mixing with my own critiques and i have changed spacing, font, sizing, added some color to balance the white space. I think it works much better now.

Any comments would be appreciated ---- especially nice ones ; )

www.infernoproductions.ca

Member #
    I merged the post above with your original thread: you posted a new iteration of the same site, so it's easier to keep all of the critiques of your site in one thread.

The site looks better, but I wouldn't call this a major overhaul. The gray arrow was the only major addition I noticed.

Member #
    um well i would consider it major...i changed in a big way the spacing between the logo and the content box (made them closer), i changed the fonts and sizing, made the iframe and content box (between grey bars) and also i added images to the about, home, and contact page.

oh well it was major to me.

And one thing just so you understand where this design comes from..im sick of sites that stack on content just simply to do it...this site is made to basically act as a portfolio and information site for my company. I wanted to rail against the over-content i see on most sites. THe splash page for a site selling hosting or applications or giving technical support is probably not always good but for this kind of site it works good because its an indentifier. My site isnt to trap the user and sell ads, dazzle them with flash buttons etc. so i think it works well in this manner.

Member #
    i quite like the site.. i dont like frames but considering you dont have much info to display i suppose its the best approach.

you've kept it very simple which is something lot of designers cant do as they get carried away with the jazzy little things which lure people in.

You are quite a talented artist aswell! i checked out your portfolio, good work!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The site is a great building block, it looks like it needs a load of more work though. You've got a good looking porfolio that's begging to be shown off. Those little thumbnails don't do your work justice. Make them a little bigger, and put them in a bigger area....that frame is too small.

I know that you said that "My site isnt to trap the user and sell ads, dazzle them with flash buttons etc.", but if you want to get business you'll incorporate those things into your site. A great deal of sites that involve design use flashy details like that to keep the visitor there. I know you're not trying to sell ads, or trap people in your site, but at least you should be trying to get them to stay longer than 30-60 seconds. You've got a great start...keep going.

BTW...you a Kamloops Blazers fan? I used to watch them when I lived in Spokane, Washington...I'm a huge Chiefs fan.

Member #
    Not a huge hockey fan but ive been to a few games..now if we had a basketball team it would be nice

The thumbnails are just links to full size pics of the work.

I agree with what your saying but im not sure i need ppl to stay there for a long time..if a client needs design work they will check your services and then your portfolio, i dont think i will get random visitors to my site its supposed to be mainly for ppl to check my work and our services (so for example a client or someone i have spoken too can check the portfolio and the services before deciding wether they want to employ my services.

I really was intentionally trying to build a stark site instead of one with all the bells and whistles (but i can design those as well) : )

thnks guys again!

Member #
    I didn't read what everyone else wrote but here is what i think.
    1.) I like the logo
    2.) The splash page is worthless get rid of it
    3.) very plain needs some color to it or something.
    4.) Change font on the copyright.
    5.) Maybe some rollovers or something
    http://www.macorastudios.com

Remove Ads