Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey guys, I started a freelance article writing team called Writers With Hats recently. The site allows clients to purchase content through a PayPal checkout and submit their order details. I am satisfied with the design for the most part, but I can use some pointers. From the clients point of view, if you found this site would you trust it enough to buy articles from?

I would also like to know what the effects of installing a separate WP to WritersWithHats.com/Blog (or blog.writerswithhats.com, I'm not sure which would be better SEO-wise) to maintain a blog. I can't really use the current WP installation for blogging because the theme is very ecommerce-centric and every post looks like a product page (I can get pages to look normal, but not posts). So would a separate installation be a hit to my performance or SEO optimization?

Thanks guys.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Neat concept... site is good...

the only problem is the use of the pay pal... and although you give them the proper instructions... people don't follow them generally... so you're going to run into problems there... not only that but most business entities... don't like using pay pal.....

I would highly suggest you spend the money and efforts on setting up payment portal with ssl enabled on your site... this will give anyone considering purchasing your articlies... a sense of professionalism.. about your site...

as for the blog... it goes both ways... if you go with blog.yoursite.com... it will typically be indexed individually and seo will be on it's own.... if you do yoursite.com/blog/ ... it's typically indexed as part of the home site....

I'm thinking ( personal opinion )... it would be better overall if you incorporate it as part of the site... so those search engines have less chance of confusion... ( i'm assuming the blog is going to be linking back to articles...etc... on the home site )... and some SE's will treat you better than if running a separate site that "links back home"....

1 more thing... ( again personal opinion ).... to help with your seo... internal linking should be extensive... I'd suggest you put your internal links into the footer section... as well as creating and maintaining a sitemap... the search tool is fine... but search engines can't enter text... so a good comprehensive site map... will help search engines index all the pertinent pages more efficiently

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 213480
    Neat concept... site is good...

the only problem is the use of the pay pal... and although you give them the proper instructions... people don't follow them generally... so you're going to run into problems there... not only that but most business entities... don't like using pay pal.....

I would highly suggest you spend the money and efforts on setting up payment portal with ssl enabled on your site... this will give anyone considering purchasing your articlies... a sense of professionalism.. about your site...

as for the blog... it goes both ways... if you go with blog.yoursite.com... it will typically be indexed individually and seo will be on it's own.... if you do yoursite.com/blog/ ... it's typically indexed as part of the home site....

I'm thinking ( personal opinion )... it would be better overall if you incorporate it as part of the site... so those search engines have less chance of confusion... ( i'm assuming the blog is going to be linking back to articles...etc... on the home site )... and some SE's will treat you better than if running a separate site that "links back home"....

1 more thing... ( again personal opinion ).... to help with your seo... internal linking should be extensive... I'd suggest you put your internal links into the footer section... as well as creating and maintaining a sitemap... the search tool is fine... but search engines can't enter text... so a good comprehensive site map... will help search engines index all the pertinent pages more efficiently

Thanks so much for the feedback, this was extremely helpful. I know PayPal is a drag, but I was working with a shoestring budget when I built the site so I bit the bullet.

Does anyone have recommendations as far as getting an SSL enabled checkout option? Would I have to purchase SSL from my host or domain registrar? Any recommended providers?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You can get an ssl certificate from pretty much any registrar or hosting provider... But if you purchase from YOUR hosting provider... It's usually a seemless integration.

If your hosting provider doesn't offer a purchase and install... ( one price )... I'd go with one of the major ( thawed or verisign ) as they will provide support in getting it installed..

Check with your hosting provider before doing anything as if they don't support it... No sense in getting it just yet...

Member #
    I use Hostgator, I'm positive that they support it. I'm just wondering about which ecommerce checkout solution to use besides paypal.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I'm sure you can find some specifically geared toward your needs... Or look for a software distribution type portal... That you can setup of auto download... After payment has be verified... If that is what you are looking for...

It would be well worth the money spent... For a paid solution .. From the support and integration aspect... Freeware stuff tends to be less secure... An potentially targets for those that just want your customer information...

I personally don't recommend any ... I build my own... And the few I did try were real pains integrating... But I'm sure they have changed in the years since I've tried any of them...

Would be interested in hearing what you decide on... And how well or bad it works out for you...

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)]The website you created looks very clean cut and professional. It doesn't make this business look like a mindless scam like many writing businesses online, which is a very good thing.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)]I do suggest that you put some type of introduction paragraph on the front page. I went on to the page knowing what it was about because of what you posted here, but if I went on your page without seeing your post, I would be confused and would probably leave. I know that there is a "About us" page, but not everyone looks at those. Many online customers decide fairly fast weather they want to stay on a web page, or leave.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)]By having that introduction, they won't have to have to search the website to find out what the website and business is all about and will be more likely to stay.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)]This is a great idea and with few online writers that can write quality work. I have bookmarked the website. I'm new to the web design field and many clients often have no idea how to write a good introduction or other parts of their content. This will be a very good online resource for many designers and their clients.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I'd have to agree that a blurb below the packages might be helpful to some...

Also just noticed... The 3 blurbs for the packages are the same except for the numbers ???

Should probably write something a little different for each package... Sine you are focusing on writing...

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Hi - is the site actually live? I can't get any of the pages beyond the home page to load.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 213610
    I'd have to agree that a blurb below the packages might be helpful to some...

Also just noticed... The 3 blurbs for the packages are the same except for the numbers ???

Should probably write something a little different for each package... Sine you are focusing on writing...
    A blurb below those three packages would indeed be good, but the problem lies in that the entire white space there is a "post" area, if I had 6 posts it would fill that area up. I'm not sure how to implement plain text into that area.

And I do plan on going back and rewriting all of the package descriptions, there's just so much that needs to be managed and done that things like that just slip off the to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 213629
    Hi - is the site actually live? I can't get any of the pages beyond the home page to load.
    Really? I knew it had code optimization problems but that shouldn't happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads