Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all,

My name is Jesse.I live in New Zealand (yes all the way down there!)

Im a part time freelance photographer and full time student. I have ABSOLUTELY no web experience or training. I have managed to hash together a website for my photography business jwphotographnz.com.

Please feel free to give constructive criticism of it! I would much rather you tell me something sux. That way I can fix it and have a more presentable site!

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Hey Jesse, welcome mate! Hope you like it in this forum.

Looked at your site and its good looking

I'm impressed for no web design experience you built the site with div's and classes good one!

Feel free to give us a shout if your having site building issues etc, I also deal with the Joomla CMS if you ever need pointers.

Loving your animal photos by the way, awesome!

Marc
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Haha thanks man appreciate it!
    m3n0tu18 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hi Jesse,

Since it actually appears that you're looking for a review vs. just link dropping, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and move it to the review section. I can't update the URL in the review section myself, even though I am a mod, but I will alert the lead developer to it as soon as I'm done with my review.

For a photographer using Dr*amw*av*r and building a website for the first time, I think you've done about as good a job as can be expected. The code itself isn't the completely atrocious mess DW usually makes of things, and the greyscale layout allows the user to focus on the thing you do best (i.e. the photography).

Having said all of that, you've still got some work to do.

1) Using Flash for your image gallery. I know why you did it...you wanted faders and stuff. At some point, you'll want to look into jQuery. jQuery is a Javascript framework that does most, if not all, of the stuff Flash can with a much lighter framework and in a manner that a lot more people can view it with.

2) The captions for your image gallery. The font should be bigger (it's too small and hard to read) and sometimes a photo says "No caption". EIther put a caption for the photo or just leave it blank. "No caption" looks pretty bad, though.

3) Your <h1> tag...you're right that you should have one, but embedding Flash in an h1 tag is a bit of a waste. What you should do is use it for something textual, like this:
    Code:
    <h1>Jesse Willson, New Zealand's Most Awesomest Photographer EVAR</h1>
    The reason you'll want to do this is twofold: it provides a document structure if used with subheads (h2, h3, and so on) and there are certain search engine benefits, in that a well-written h1 tag along with a title tag can accurately describe a page and allow for a greater chance that search engines will send you referral traffic for various keywords and phrases (e.g. New Zealand photographer, although I probably wouldn't target that phrase specifically.

4) Using the white hyperlinks on the light background is kind of hard to read. Go with the cornflower blue you use on the footer hyperlinks, maybe. Or a dark grey.

That should be enough to get you started for now.
    jesse Willson likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    You are off to a good start, TheGame 1264 pretty much covered everything I wanted to touch up on.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wow,
    Thanks guys, I had no clue when I signed up that I would be getting comments let alone constructive criticism this fast! It is very much appreciated!

To be honest I did most of this in design mode and know little code. In saying that I think I can fix all of the things you have touched on, except the jQuery. I have been using lightroom to create the gallery's and then just dropping them into a div. Im sure thats dodge as! haha

Thanks again!

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Thanks guys, I had no clue when I signed up that I would be getting comments let alone constructive criticism this fast!
    That is what I thought when I joined. That is also why I recommend this forum to ALL web designers
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Remove Ads