Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

:banghead:
    Just joined the forum, and hopefully I can get some inspiration from you guys. I've just started out trying to build a website and create my first blog, but to be honest, I may have a touch of green behind the old earholes!
    I'm so new at all this, I got told off nicely by the mod!
    As you will notice, I'm currently using a free website template to get my eye in before I take the plunge, so any feedback would be amazing!

Thanks for your help!

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    The site looks.. empty. There's absolutely nothing in the header, and lot's of text in the main section. text isn't so bad when it's styled right, but this one is not. I would suggest putting book titles above the section, left justified and bigger. You don't need to use ellipses (...) in the navigation.
    Most of the site is empty though. I don't know if the "On ebay.." picture is a placeholder, or actual content, and I hope it's not actual content.
    The Blog looks really nice, but the main container is way too narrow.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Alright then, well from top to bottom, it looks like you're going to have a black and red theme going on. So on your navigation bar, you're current site colour should be red. You should have a footer, and that footer could be similar to the header in theme; so 100% width, red top border and black-grey gradient.

Very obviously you need a logo too, it's probably the biggest killer of your site at the moment.

I'm not a fan of Lucida Sans, If you want something different maybe try "Franklin Gothic Book" or just stick to Arial. All of your text seems to be in <strong> tags, this makes them bold! You should really change this to <p> tags.

I can see where you're coming from with your image on the top of each page. I'd say if you want to keep that, make it a lot thinner height wise and don't have the page name written on it. Just use the "Welcome to thispage" thing, but put it in <h2> tags and maybe use a cool font of google web fonts for it, or cufon.
    Mark Gannaway Software Developer

Recent Experiments
    - Backpropogation Neural Network language solving (http://ann.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Animated image to ASCII (http://google.ganners.co.uk/)
    - 3D Paper Characters (http://cybergame.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Anagram solving (http://roflol.co.uk/)

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Is that "Belky" pointing a gun in that avatar picture?
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Hey guys...
    Thanks for the feedback - I know things are wanting somewhat - I've only been playing with it for a couple of days.
    The site i'm using is a tad basic and the headers and margins are daft to say the least! :cry: I'm updating every day (just completed the first book page) and your feedback is vital to me, so would be delighted if you could keep a look out and see if there are any bits and bobs you would change and why.
    Most of the points you raised about fonts and sizing, I cannot really do anything about at the mo, I have another website that will eventually be my main domain, so because the one i'm playing on is fast to input items, you will have to forgive my layout. Hopefully it's all about the content (when it's done!)
    Thanks again folks.. :coffee:

[Edit: link removed. AlphaMare.]

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DanExcell, post: 218449
    Is that "Belky" pointing a gun in that avatar picture?
    It's Bickle (Taxi Driver)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by On The Ramp, post: 218463
    Hey guys...
    Thanks for the feedback - I know things are wanting somewhat - I've only been playing with it for a couple of days.
    The site i'm using is a tad basic and the headers and margins are daft to say the least! :cry: I'm updating every day (just completed the first book page) and your feedback is vital to me, so would be delighted if you could keep a look out and see if there are any bits and bobs you would change and why.
    Most of the points you raised about fonts and sizing, I cannot really do anything about at the mo, I have another website that will eventually be my main domain, so because the one i'm playing on is fast to input items, you will have to forgive my layout. Hopefully it's all about the content (when it's done!)
    Thanks again folks..:coffee:
    [Edit: link removed. AlphaMare.]
    [COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)]Link dropping to promote your own site or business is frowned upon in these forums.[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)][/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)]May I suggest that, as a new member, it behooves you to[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)][/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)][COLOR=rgb(32, 117, 183)]read the rules[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)][/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)]before you post again, just so you know how these forums work.[/COLOR]
    You may post your URL in the Ratings and Reviews forum, and after you have 25 posts, you can add a link to your signature.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 218465
    [COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)]Link dropping to promote your own site or business is frowned upon in these forums.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)]May I suggest that, as a new member, it behooves you to[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)][/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)][COLOR=rgb(32, 117, 183)]read the rules[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)][/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)]before you post again, just so you know how these forums work.[/COLOR]
    You may post your URL in the Ratings and Reviews forum, and after you have 25 posts, you can add a link to your signature.
    Y have the forum in the first place then....
    I'm not promoting, I came here for help, but I take on board what you say...
    Ps
    What does 'behooves' mean..? :help:

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by On The Ramp, post: 218495
    Y have the forum in the first place then....
    I'm not promoting, I came here for help, but I take on board what you say...
    We are here to help - but we have certain rules that must be followed in order to preserve the integrity of what can be found here. So the reason for the forum is not to make links for people - in fact it is a nofollow forum, so the links are fairly useless for SEO purposes.

The reason for the forum is to have a place where people can come to share experience and knowledge, to help each other, and to learn from one another.

I know I am not alone in saying that I have learned more in a year on these forums than I would have in 5 years working by myself. I get to see hundreds of questions that I might never have thought to ask, and read the answers to them - in some cases working out the problem myself to post the answer - and every time I learn a little bit more.

If you are here to learn and share - welcome. If you are here to try to create backlinks for your site, I'm afraid your efforts will prove futile.

Quote Originally Posted by On The Ramp, post: 218495
    What does 'behooves' mean..? :help:
    OK - sorry, showing my age there - behooves means it's your responsibility to do whatever it is that is referred to - dictionary definition here
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by On The Ramp, post: 218464
    It's Bickle (Taxi Driver)
    Young DeNiro? Maybe, tried to watch taxi driver, not feeling it (had no idea Jodie Foster was that old).
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads