Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3
    Member #
    29176

    Current Rating

    Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

    Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

    Website Speed:
    2.0 out of 5

    Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

    Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

    Rate This Site


    Advertisement (login to hide this!)


    You must be logged in to view this site

    hey, ive been designing websites for a long time now and ive just begun coding. ive done about 4 so far this is my fitfth so just wondering how i going.

    thanks alot

  2.  

  3. #2
    WDF Staff AlphaMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    4,570
    Member #
    20277
    Liked
    878 times
    Is this just a prototype? There seems to be nothing there except the home page.

    Anyway, I like the way the images colourize when you mouseover them - that's good Photoshop work -but I'd get rid of the big black "+" sign - it is distracting and seems to serve no useful purpose.

    I also like the description of your software toolbox - it lets people know what you skills are. I'd advise you to use something other than DW to write your code in (try Notepad ++)- but if you do continue to use it - use the code view, don't use the design view - it will create terribly bloated code and in any case, it does not accurately represent the layout.

    And let me say right here - kudos to you for digging in and learning to code. You're doing very well for a beginner, and even if your primary interest ends up being designing the sites as PSDs, the developers will love working with you because you will have a grasp on what can and cannot be done, a trait which too may designers do not possess!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib


    http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

    If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3
    Member #
    29176
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 218697
    Is this just a prototype? There seems to be nothing there except the home page.

    Anyway, I like the way the images colourize when you mouseover them - that's good Photoshop work -but I'd get rid of the big black "+" sign - it is distracting and seems to serve no useful purpose.

    I also like the description of your software toolbox - it lets people know what you skills are. I'd advise you to use something other than DW to write your code in (try Notepad ++)- but if you do continue to use it - use the code view, don't use the design view - it will create terribly bloated code and in any case, it does not accurately represent the layout.

    And let me say right here - kudos to you for digging in and learning to code. You're doing very well for a beginner, and even if your primary interest ends up being designing the sites as PSDs, the developers will love working with you because you will have a grasp on what can and cannot be done, a trait which too may designers do not possess!
    thanks for the comment, if you use the nav at the top you can see all the other pages. the + sign is there because im going to add in light box so when you click it opens in a new screen i just havent had time to yet. i actually dont use dreamweaver i use aptana studios to code. thanks very much for the comment


  5. #4
    WDF Staff AlphaMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    4,570
    Member #
    20277
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuseweb, post: 218699
    thanks for the comment, if you use the nav at the top you can see all the other pages. the + sign is there because im going to add in light box so when you click it opens in a new screen i just havent had time to yet. i actually dont use dreamweaver i use aptana studios to code. thanks very much for the comment

    Well, if you could make the + sign smaller then...
    Glad to hear you don't use DW.
    I was using the top nav - kept getting an error message about too many requests and/or timeout. But it seems to be working now.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib


    http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

    If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3
    Member #
    29176
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 218702
    Well, if you could make the + sign smaller then...
    Glad to hear you don't use DW.
    I was using the top nav - kept getting an error message about too many requests and/or timeout. But it seems to be working now.
    ok sounds good thanks, and yea im only using a free hosting site so its slow lol

  7. #6
    Senior Member Webzarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Carolina Coast
    Posts
    3,322
    Member #
    27709
    Liked
    770 times
    If you have to tell someone how to navigate your site, there is a problem.

  8. #7
    WDF Staff AlphaMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    4,570
    Member #
    20277
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 218704
    If you have to tell someone how to navigate your site, there is a problem.
    No - the nav is well-placed and intuitive. It just wasn't working when I tried it. The problem seems to have been fixed now.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib


    http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

    If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

  9. #8
    WDF Staff George Dolidze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    2,487
    Member #
    27540
    Liked
    416 times
    A bit more color would suit the site well. I very much like the layout. The grammar in your skill set section is iffy.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign



    You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Ganners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    415
    Member #
    27007
    Liked
    92 times
    The problem I have is when I click on #MAIN, Chrome puts an awesome orange border around it. Put this in your css:

    [SIZE=11px][COLOR=rgb(68, 68, 68)]*:focus {outline: none;}[/COLOR][/SIZE]

    and it should stop this on all elements. I like the design. Your favicon doesn't match the site, I'd create an image for your google search button. I like your skill set box, but I'd HTML it, makes it more readable and editable for you, and makes it load faster (though it looks pretty quick) 71kb is a reasonable file size for an image.

    I like it though, looks like it's going in a good direction.
    Mark Gannaway Software Developer

    Recent Experiments
    - Backpropogation Neural Network language solving (http://ann.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Animated image to ASCII (http://google.ganners.co.uk/)
    - 3D Paper Characters (http://cybergame.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Anagram solving (http://roflol.co.uk/)


Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com