Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi everyone I currently have a website I created using squarespace, this is currently what it looks like http://www.thelenscapphoto.com/ I'm wondering how hard it would be to redesign the site to look similar to either of these http://conantarch.squarespace.com/ http://www.kacyphoto.com/#
    I really like the last one but it may be harder to do because its not built using squarespace, but the first one is.
    I am not talented at this website thing and would love some input as to how I could achieve the look of the first one. I really like the dynamic background but I would like the home page to display different types of pictures, and then when you click on weddings you would be greeted with a paragraph or two about my wedding service and the background would also change to show just the wedding portfolio.

Any ideas, and sorry if this type of post is not wanted here, just kinda going nuts trying to figure it out on my own. If this isn't the place to ask for help can you point me in a good direction?

Thanks Chris

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    First of all, you don't want to do it like the second site. As far as I can see it's completely done in Flash, and that's not at all good for SEO (Search Engine Optimization).

The first one is done in javascript, and will do much better in SEO if you do it properly. After all, what good is a site if nobody can find it? The only problem with is that the photos stretch a lot horizontally when viewed fullscreen on my 1920 X1080 monitor.

To be honest, I like your site the best of the three. I don't like being forced to watch a slideshow I can't control, as is the case with both of your other examples. I like that I can click on a menu and jump around your slideshow, and that the menu in the sidebar remains available without my having to figure out how to get back to it, it follows the "Three Click Rule". I like that the slideshow is constrained and the images don't distort when I go fullscreen.

My only suggestion, really, is to put the login, links, search, and contact us as well as the facebook "like" in the footer, and expand your slideshow into the larger space this will allow you.

One thing, though - check your spelling and grammar very carefully; for example:
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] "Are you looking for a photographer to make you're product stand out from the rest." should be [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]"Are you looking for a photographer to make [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]your[/COLOR] product stand out from the rest[COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]?[/COLOR]"[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]and[/COLOR] "[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]Photographing small children can be a choir, and with..." [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]should be "Photographing small children can be a [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]chore[/COLOR], and with ..."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]There are several others - you need to sound professional and errors like this detract from that image.[/COLOR]
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    I agree with AM and also disagree; Google indexes Flash content. Not sure about Yahoo and Bing. You can optimize a Flash site for SEO using PHP, XML or plain old HTML. It's a lot more work but can be done. The reason Flash is not such a hot idea seems to be the fact that even the manufacturer (Adobe) is leaning towards that direction. They released a beta product named Edge that will eventually replace Flash. It's a combination of HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript. Second, has to be accessibility for the mobile user that does not have Flash player capabilities.

Hey, deep inside I am still a Flash guy. I think the web should be fun, visual and dynamic. A lot of people don't agree, and some of the less creative flash users have given the tool a very bad rap with the less appealing work. Other than that, I still think its a great tool.

BTW AM: I've been using DW CS5.5 lately (along side of Komodo 6) and I have to admit that it's not bad at all. The App developer interface saves me a great deal of time. I couldn't tell you much about the designer interface, I never use it. My tool of Preference WeBuilder 2008 does not support HTML5 and frankly, I am not in going to upgrade.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanExcell, post: 219069
    I agree with AM and also disagree; Google indexes Flash content. Not sure about Yahoo and Bing. You can optimize a Flash site for SEO using PHP, XML or plain old HTML. It's a lot more work but can be done. The reason Flash is not such a hot idea seems to be the fact that even the manufacturer (Adobe) is leaning towards that direction. They released a beta product named Edge that will eventually replace Flash. It's a combination of HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript. Second, has to be accessibility for the mobile user that does not have Flash player capabilities.

Hey, deep inside I am still a Flash guy. I think the web should be fun, visual and dynamic. A lot of people don't agree, and some of the less creative flash users have given the tool a very bad rap with the less appealing work. Other than that, I still think its a great tool.

BTW AM: I've been using DW CS5.5 lately (along side of Komodo 6) and I have to admit that it's not bad at all. The App developer interface saves me a great deal of time. I couldn't tell you much about the designer interface, I never use it. My tool of Preference WeBuilder 2008 does not support HTML5 and frankly, I am not in going to upgrade.
    I don't dislike Flash, in fact I think it's a lot of fun and every year I send out interactive invitations to my Christmas party in Flash! I just think it's an awful lot of trouble to go to for a full site, and compared with a hand-coded site in HTML, CSS, and javascript will take a much longer time to create. For me it comes down to ROI of time and effort.

P.S. I have not yet tried DWW 5.5 - I have the full CS4 Master Suite, and often use DW for coding, I use it to go into design view and highlight something that I need to find in the code - much easier than scrolling forever looking for what I need. I am not against DW per se - I just like changing my sig and I thought it was funny.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    It is funny, actually, but what I am beating myself up over is the fact that once I learned how to hand code my work, I began treating DW like a girl that cheated on me. On several occasions I have taken shots at it myself. I turned to is several days ago when my trusty WBuilder was not up to the task and I sort of like it. I have spent so much time looking for the ideal/"perfect tool" and I had it right here the entire time.

I was not being indirect or anything when I said a lot of people hate Flash. I've been getting crap from college professors, fellow students and fellow designers for years for using Flash. The funny part in all of this seems to be the fact that my business has taken a serious dive ever since I gave it up completely.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanExcell, post: 219104
    It is funny, actually, but what I am beating myself up over is the fact that once I learned how to hand code my work, I began treating DW like a girl that cheated on me. On several occasions I have taken shots at it myself. I turned to is several days ago when my trusty WBuilder was not up to the task and I sort of like it. I have spent so much time looking for the ideal/"perfect tool" and I had it right here the entire time.
    I know how you feel - i had a similar experience - in reverse. My intro to DW was such a disappointment, it took me a while to figure out it could play a very useful role in my work. I still don't like the automatic code it generates - bloated and restrictive, in my opinion - but it's a tool liike any other; used properly the work is good, used poorly, the work is bad. Simple as that.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Wow! my college instructors back in Utah would have had a fit if DW was used for anything. One instructor suggested we use notepad in windows. That is when I purchased HTMLPad, (later on I upgraded to WeBuilder). I feel so bad for you for having to go through that mess.

So, it was actually part of the institution curriculum to teach you SQL through DW? I understand your pain. SQL is easy compared to an actual programming language like Perl. Why would anyone want to use DW for that?
    Harmonic likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanExcell, post: 219115
    Wow! my college instructors back in Utah would have had a fit if DW was used for anything. One instructor suggested we use notepad in windows. That is when I purchased HTMLPad, (later on I upgraded to WeBuilder). I feel so bad for you for having to go through that mess.

So, it was actually part of the institution curriculum to teach you SQL through DW? I understand your pain. SQL is easy compared to an actual programming language like Perl. Why would anyone was to use DW for that?
    Aha, I used to do ALL my programming and coding in notepad! I now use notepad++

To achieve the first site you want I would use this jQuery Plugin and integrate it with a standard slider.

That site in particular seems to be using a jQuery plugin called jbgallery

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonic, post: 219120
    Aha, I used to do ALL my programming and coding in notepad! I now use notepad++

To achieve the first site you want I would use this jQuery Plugin and integrate it with a standard slider.

That site in particular seems to be using a jQuery plugin called jbgallery
    Any one that programs with plain notepad is fearless! Kudos to you, because I refuse, refuse, refuse...

Remove Ads