Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: Is the main content area too small?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    1.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    1.5 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

[Quick summary: I'm looking for feedback on the size of the main content area, and ideas on how to reformat the art page.]

I'm a baby web designer just barely learning how to walk here.

This is the website that I made for myself (mostly a portfolio-type thing). I tried to get away from the glossy web 2.0 stuff that everyone's been sniffin. I really wanted to do something different for my own site, like get away from the typical "this is a website" things.

It has a banner, sort of. It has links, or a navigation, but all of this is all part of the drawing.

I also wanted to get away from multiple pages. I figured out how to mimic page-changing by hiding and showing divs in javascript. It's nice to have everything loaded at once and not have to load a new page for each section.

So the entire site is just on one page.

I'm using lightbox for the picture viewer, i'm sure most of you recognize it.

Here are some of the issues I'm having:
    - I've been told the section in the middle with the text is too small. Though I wanted it to be this way, cause I wanted the focus to be on the links along the side of the main content, I just want more opinions on the size of the center content area.

- I'd like to use anchors but because of the way I have the hidden/visible divs, the link to an anchor will not bump the page down to that section of the div. Anchors aren't a must, but if not, any ideas on how to improve the art page would be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Wow, you've really achieved something different here. The content area is pretty tiny, in fact, the width of your whole site is rather small (800px of which you're using like 700px) You could happily bring this up to around 1000px these days. It's just a really small content space, you can only fit 1 image at a time in there. You'd want at least 2 side by side.

I can't help but think, it would be super cool of the electricity was animated up top around the Cephai.

If your content was bigger, you wouldn't need anchors anyway, I'd only really use them for masses of text such as documentation or terms and conditions, or a single page scrolling site.
    Mark Gannaway Software Developer

Recent Experiments
    - Backpropogation Neural Network language solving (http://ann.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Animated image to ASCII (http://google.ganners.co.uk/)
    - 3D Paper Characters (http://cybergame.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Anagram solving (http://roflol.co.uk/)

Member #
    thanks! yeah the content in the middle is only 300 px across...lols. i actually did have two thumbnails of each piece side by side at 100x100 px but i wanted to change it so that i could put a description under each one and whatnot.

it's good to hear from someone else that the content is way too small.

the good thing is it's rather easy for me to edit the drawing in the background. just repositioning the divs around it after that.

my gf suggested making some animated gifs for the glowing lights or buzzin electricity, so that's two people that have that idea ! that must mean i need to do it.

again, thanks for your input!

Remove Ads