Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello all,

my site is my first project. It is a sports betting website which offers betting tips from ex professional sportsmen, sports journalists and betting industry employees. It is a hobby for me and, as it is my first ever project, I am aware that it is of a basic nature. But it has taken off really well and draws a decent audience from a range of countries.

I would appreciate your expert advice and tips, or just friendly feedback.
    Have a great day.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hmm where do I start..

Before I even get into the website's design, I noticed that your site does not have a favicon and that the title of the web page does not contain capitals. Simple things like these all add to the overall professionalism of your site.

Your overall design is simple, which is usually good for a website. However in your case, it appears to be too simple in my opinion. You could try adding another column on some pages that contain a lot of content to break it up and make it more readable, without the user having to scroll down heaps. Your menu is positioned on the left, whereas the banner is on the right. You could try positioning the banner on the left with the menu so that the viewers eyes are not going back and forth constantly.

Many of your images appear to be broken as well, which should be fixed immediately. There are probably heaps of other things I could pick on, but those seem to be the main ones.

However as you say, this is your first web project, and you have done a good job. You have all the foundations set within your design (such as content areas and the menu). All that is lacking is those cosmetic changes. Just keep buffing it and it should look great. The content is fantastic.

Member #
    Many thanks for your feedback. I will fix the obvious straight away, and take the other tips on board.
    The only images I have on my site are banner ads for bookmakers - perhaps that is what is broken due to where you are viewing them? I can't see anything myself.
    Thanks again for taking the time to look at the site and post a reply.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times

For your first web design project, you are doing a decent job, but if you have some problems.

Truthfully, It looks like a get-rich-quick, ad spamming website. That, of course is a problem. BUT, I can give you some tips to eliminate that issue.

Color Scheme:
    Your color scheme seems to be all over the place. Your header is mostly black, your navigation is blue with a weird looking gradient, your content area is white, and your footer has the same blue gradient. You need to find a color scheme that matches and looks a little more professional. I recommend picking two main colors, and then a sub-color. Any more colors than that can get messy.

Here are some amazing websites that I use all the time to find the color scheme I want:

1. http://0to255.com/ (On this website, you can pick a color, and then find every shade of it from white, to black.)

2. http://www.colourlovers.com/ (On this website, you can search palettes. Simply type in the hex code of the main color of your website, and it will find color schemes that have the color you want in it. You can also search palettes by topic. So you could type in "betting" or "sports" to find a good color scheme for your website.)

Header
    The background is a black with some text and an image that doesn't blend in that well. That is expected from a beginner, but if you want this website taken seriously, I recommend working on the header to make it more professional looking. After you pick your color scheme, select a main background for the header. Then use CSS to style your text so it looks better. Last, edit the image to make it blend in more. If you really insist in having a dark color as the background, DON'T USE BLACK, instead, use a dark grey (It looks a lot better).

Navigation:
    After picking your color scheme and creating your header, you need to work on your navigation bar. Try to find a color that matches your color scheme (This is a good place for your sub-color as mentioned above). If you want to use a gradient, MAKE IT SUBTLE. To much of a change in color in such a small space usually doesn't look good. I can't really say any more about the navigation.

Content:
    With your content area, I recommend using some CSS you spice it up a bit. Right now, It looks a little bland. You can start with your headings. Make them stick out, but DON'T make them excessively large. Try adding a border-bottom to separate them from the rest of your content. Your text looks decent, but the links look very random. You want your links to stick out a little, but not that much and not randomly.

ADVERTISEMENTS:
    There is nothing wrong with having advertisements on your website, but right now, The main page is too crowed with those advertisements. It's distracting from the content. Yes, you do want people to notice your ads, but you DON'T want the ads taking over your website pages. Use CSS styling to organize them and make them look presentable and not distracting.

Footer:
    Everything that you need to do to the footer has already been stated in the "navigation" section of this post.

Those are all of the tips I could think of. You have a good project, you just have to upgrade it. If you plan on gaining revenue off if this website, follow those steps and add in a little of your own style of design, and you will be 100x more successful.
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Remove Ads