Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi

I've recently finished the design and coding for http://www.xmlmania.com and http://www.xmlmania.com/development/

I am quite happy with the design here is some screenshots from my system running Windows XP, Firebird (latest, and it also looks identical in IE 6.0):

and:

Comments are welcome.

Here comes the favour i ask:

When I use RedHat 9.0 the page appears slightly different (mainly the top menu) while using the same browser, so if anyone could send a screeny showing the website in another browser, preferably on Linux* and Mac .

Thanks in advance...

- Martin

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The source looks pretty solid. Perfectly spaced.. you have all your /'s, and you're using tables. Not bad.

Unfortunately, technical perfection won't give your site style or flare. If you're unhappy with the way your site looks, the reason is because it's pretty plain.

You could definitely benefit from adding some effects. Even a little bit of typesetting will help you out a lot. The content is quite cluttered as it is.

And for got's sake, man, add some images !! You trying to be Jakob Nielsen or what?

Member #
    ROFL, i'm a 56k user so i design to my standards i guess... that explains the lack of images. You say the content is cluttered? How do you mean? What advide have you got to make it "un-cluttered"?

BTW looked at your source... nice indented code also

Thanks - Martin

Member #
    Hey man check what i've done. I've made each news item more readable. This is what I presumed you meant?

Member #
    Bump, Any linux users care to have a look?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Thread bumping isn't allowed here. Read the rules again.

Regarding the content, it looks much better with the header formatting. My complaint was about the "typesetting". Your headers and content were clumped together without any visual dividers. Header tags (<h1> etc) have formatting applied to them by default, making pages legible.

Something else you might consider is splitting your content into columns using tables. It requres a lot of work, but would make your text a lot more legible, and will increase the aesthetics of your site a bit too.

As for looks in general, you don't need graphics to make your site look nice... you just need to put some thought into layout and think of everything as a graphic element (even text and links). They have color, shape, and density, and contribute to the end product. Look at my June competition entry to see more of my thoughts on redesigning low-bandwidth sites: http://www.webdesignforums.net/thread7192.html

Member #
    mayby you could round off the loading time integer in the bottom left corner.

...in 0.00062596797943115 seconds is what i got..

I like the way you have set out your site. A XML web site doesnt really need to be cutting edge and highly graphical so i think you've done well.

great job!

Member #
    LOL yeah maybe a little bit too accurate :P, sorry for the bumping but thanks for the advice!

- Martin

Member #
    Hey I realised what you meant by calling me "Jakob Nielsen"... insulting... my page isn't that bland is it?

Sorry about that

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    You dont need to double post you could have just edited your last post.
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads