Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    959 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    5.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Well, at long last the site is finally launched. Please have a look and let me know what you think. I know I need content for the third section in the footer. I'm having a hard time coming up with something. I'm also working on the favicon.

Some notes about the design:
    • I used a lot of media queries to keep the design looking good at various browser window sizes, including mobile. The most noticeable changes are in the header, but the entire structure of the page changes. Resize your browser and check it out.
    • The slider on the main page does rely on images, but the content is there in semantic text, including headers, paragraphs and lists, it's just hidden. This allows me to use images and implement various effects, like the text gradient, but still have the search engine benefits of text.
    • The portfolio page is all custom jQuery, which is a first for me. I have a number of sites in work that use custom jQuery, but this is the first to see the light of day.
    • The background in the logo is an image, but the logo text itself is actual text, very carefully positioned.
    chrisHPZ likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    I do like the site. The portfolio click to show divs are brilliant. The only issue i have is its a little too grey for my liking. Other than that Its good work
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I actually like the grey. It adds to the simplicity of the design. Which really works for the site considering that the logo says "Simple is Beautiful".

I found one small issue though. While using Google Chrome, I made the browser window small. The website held up with the exception of the three column footer area. It became slightly distorted.
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Thanks, I'll address that.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Hi there Ron. This really is a nice and simplistic site you have here. I learned a few things as well. Never had a clue that text could be placed over an image, but then I never really thought about that either. Right now in one of my classes I have to do a website on a ficticuous business. Hope you don't mind but I loaded your site into Dw's Live View option and studied the code. For awhile now I've been struggling with percentages and ems and really don't want to give up on it. Be assured that I didn't steal any of your coding but I did learn a few things on just how to use the mentioned sizing properties. Again, very nice work. The purpose of your site is clear, it loads fast and resizes properly even on the monster 25" 1920 x 1080 monitors.
    Ronald Roe likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I like it alot. took a few notes on how you layered out you code. (:
    Ronald Roe likes this.
    "ON TIME, ON TARGET, NEVER QUIT"

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Glad I could be a help to both of you.
    Chris: I doesn't bother me. Since this isn't a client site, there are no real secrets involved. In fact, you can go here and see the static html code out I did before I converted to Wordpress. That'll make it easier to pick out what I wrote vs what WP generated.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Is there any good guides on how to convert it to Wordpress?

Also, i was taking a look at your html and css code. and cant figure out what is the <span> for? i see you use it in html but you dont style it in css? whys that?
    "ON TIME, ON TARGET, NEVER QUIT"

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    It's a nice site. The first thing which pops out at me is this is a portfolio - with advertising slots! That to me is a bit of a no no. I like it though, your navigation bar is particularly nice, and how it changes with lower resolutions is well executed.
    Mark Gannaway Software Developer

Recent Experiments
    - Backpropogation Neural Network language solving (http://ann.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Animated image to ASCII (http://google.ganners.co.uk/)
    - 3D Paper Characters (http://cybergame.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Anagram solving (http://roflol.co.uk/)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by peezybro, post: 223385
    Is there any good guides on how to convert it to Wordpress?

Also, i was taking a look at your html and css code. and cant figure out what is the <span> for? i see you use it in html but you dont style it in css? whys that?
    I don't know of a better tutorial than this one for WP.

I assume you're talking about the <span> tags wrapping the date elements. Those allow me to individually style the date elements. They are styled on lines 163-188 in style.css, using their classes. If you're talking about the <span> in the footer, that is there so I can float the social media icons as one block. It's styled on lines 245-247.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads