Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi there. I have just started redesigning my site(well..its been about 2 weeks) and I would love to get a review and a comparison to my old site.

Old site
    New site

I'm looking for comments on the;

design
    functionality
    ease of use(ie how easy it is to navigate around my site and how easy it is to find the info you need)
    and SEO

p.s, my graphics designer is on holiday, so I'm going to have to wait for him to come back(another 3 weeks!) so the banners on the slider on the home page has been placed with placeholder images.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    anyone?

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I looked at both of your designs.

I personally, I like the old design better from the way it looks and the way it is organized. I think you should keep it. You really just need to update it a little.

Here are some of the things I thought would improve the design:

NAVIGATION: The navigation in the new design seems more appealing and efficient then the navigation in the old design. Try using that in the Old design's navigation. Experiment with colors to see if you can find a similar effect that looks good.

ONLINE FORMS: Online contact forms are very important when creating this type of website. Add a "Contact Us" form to the old design just like you did in the new design.

PORTFOLIO: In your new design, you used a sliding effect when hovering over your past projects on the portfolio page. I suggest using the same effect on the old design.

REQUEST A QUOTE: On the new design, you have a large and very noticeable "Request a Quote" button, but on your old design, you have a very small, unnoticeable button. Try changing the small button to a larger and more noticeable button.

Overall, you really don't have to change your current design. It looks like a more professional website. Just simply tweek what I mentioned above, and you will be all set.
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    I love the graphics, but I think the font is too small

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I think on the new site the slideshow takes away the focus from the message of the site, which is to get people to purchase your services.

Design, as it pertains to websites is to present the service or product (call to action) in such a way that the visitor to has some sort of directed reaction . They will subscribe, purchase, read more... whatever the reaction is will be dictated by their response to the design as much as the content.

One of the rules I go by, is to have your call to action "above the fold" - that is - readily visible so the visitor doesn't have to scroll to see it. This is a good example.

If you're going to stick with the huge slideshow, make each image original and relevant to the work you do, with text describing the various services depicted, and make them clickable, so they can lead the visitor to the parts of the site they are interested in (design, SEO, hosting, etc.). Here is an example of that.

I like the red on the homepage, bit the diagonal is not right - if you're going to go with a diagonal, make it a bit more acute - right now it just looks crooked. The red on the portfolio page is somewhat distracting from the actual portfolio pieces - you want people to focus on your work, not the header and footer.

The headers are OK, but rest of the text is much too small, and too pale a shade of grey. And you don't need two "Contact Me" headers on the contact page.

All in all, the new site shows that you are widening your vision and willing to experiment with less conservative styling, and you're enjoying playing more with jQuery - Just don't lose sight of the fact that while it is your site, it is aimed at your prospective clients.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I prefer the old site. The font is easier to read and the site feels cleaner overall. The new site just feels cluttered and the font face doesn't look as crisp or professional.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I think everything Blackhawk said nails it. 100% Agreed.
    Blackhawk095 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Prefer old site, new one I had to slant by head to realize my eyes wasn't playing tricks me.

Remove Ads