Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: IS (94KB too large for one page with images?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 25.00%
  • No

3 75.00%
  • It's Okay

0 0%
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Passion4Sport is a website I am currently working on. I have just finished a design that the webmaster likes.

I have one problem. The images that are going to be used, on every page, come to a total of (94.8KB, or thereabouts). Is this too high??

I have attached a zip file (deleted) of the site so that You can have a look and see whether there are any images that can be changed or what have you.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

The poll Question is (please can a mod edit it?) Is 94KB too large for a page with images
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Lookin pretty green, there, laddie !!!! It's like leprechaun football on St. Paddy's day.

Seriously, though, I'm not sure what you were going for here. I don't think it embraces the "feel" of football. It looks like a typical corner-radius layout in green.

I think the green concept is pretty cool. What might be cool, though, is to make your nav look like yard markers, and have the text in the same font that they use for the 10, 20, 30, etc. Also, might be cool to have a big scoreboard for your banner.

I guess what I'm saying is "what does this site have to do with football?" Not the content, but the design. Your design should embrace its content and reflect it. And come on... FOOTBALL, man !!! Can't get much cooler than that !!!

Member #
    So what do you think about the filesize problems??
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    I agree with transio that this is not a "football layout". As far as the site's size goes, you dont want it to be much bigger than it is. Designers have their own theories on file size, and I think most will probably say yours is a little large. A while ago I visited some popular sites (cnn.com, boston.com, msn.com) and I used IE's Save as Webpage feature. I found that most of their sites were around 100kb. However, they reuse the same images thoughout the site, so subsequent pages load faster.

I did this cause the site I was doing was about 75kb in size, and I wanted to see how that compared. Hope this helps.

Member #
    at first sight it looks good.
    But for a website, its not very useable. It looks more like a painting than a website.

I think that 94kb is ok but could get quite annoying for someone who is lumbered on dialup.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    One of the sites I'm doing right now I'm having the same dillemma to a point... I think mine is about 40k, and I thought that was too large =x However I came to the resolution that 95% of my filesize was reused on every page.. so I decided it was okay. I would normally say 94k is high.. but if it's a football site (recreatoinal) who cares? I'd say go for design/cool stuff over filesize for those types of sites. A good portion of people are using broadband now anyway...
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Yea i agree with every1 else, it does not represent football very well. And the filesze should be fine as Brak said most people who are gonna view it will most likley have broadband.
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

Remove Ads