Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on my site, positive or negative. My site is a review site for movies, games, music, and television. One main aspect is to allow users to write high quality reviews which will have to meet our standards before being published.

I am not sure about the colour scheme. It does not look very professional but the audience the site is aimed at might like it. The flash video is still very basic and will be upgraded soon. Other areas to be added are a search bar to search the site, comment boxes to comment on reviews, and user accounts. But that won't be for a while. I am still adding content and when much more is added the main page layout will change, e.g. have more pictures and titles instead of having introductions.

Any criticism would be appreciated, good or bad (I have a feeling it will more likely be bad). Thanks.
    Im pretty new to web design but I am learning fast. I will help if I can.
    Check out my sites http://www.mediareviewzone.com http://www.iamrobsmith.com

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Another thing, if any of you looked at the site, is did the flash item appear correctly? Most times with me the flash item does not show the first time I view the page but if I go back to the page it works correctly. It might just be a problem with my browser because it only happens with Internet Explorer.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    first of all. Nice site layout. I do like that. I see what you are saying with the color scheme. Something just isn't quite right is it :/ maybe use more colors than the red? It might add to it. also look at www.colourlovers.com as its brilliant for color schemes.

I dont like the grey, it doesnt go well with the site. Try a darker color. maybe #3d3d3d, or #999999, that might look better.

Add a box-shadow: to your container divs to make the site stand off the page.

For the Flash slideshow. I suggest not using flash, Flash should only really be used for streaming video etc rather than static image slideshows (not totally sure why they made it in the first place as mac osx doesnt support it...) Nowerdays you can create a complete slideshow skinned exactly how you want with only css3 You can find something like that HERE, also THIS is a good place to start for css3

Also your footer links need to have a different color on hover. It doesnt look right being just a slightly different grade red.

Other than that. Nice site man
    John Mc Grath and TheGAME1264 like this.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'll second the colourlovers.com mention, if only because I was thinking about it before I saw m3n0tu18's reply. Failing that, maybe you can draw some inspiration from tribute.ca (they are sort of a competitor).

As far as your site goes, I don't think the layout is your biggest concern at this point. The biggest problem I see with your site is simply "it's been done."

You're reviewing movies. Been done. A LOT.
    You're reviewing video games. Been done. A LOT. Every guy over the age of 13 that doesn't have a significant other of some sort reviews video games.

I don't see a thing on the surface that sets your site apart from other review sites. What's different about it? What would I see here that I don't see anywhere else?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I understand that the internet is flooded with review sites. What I am hoping will make mine stand out a bit is letting the users write reviews that need to be up to a certain standard that will be included on the site. I just need to get the users first
    There are loads of review sites but there are also loads of people who write reviews so maybe I might get lucky.
    For the Flash slideshow. I suggest not using flash, Flash should only really be used for streaming video etc rather than static image slideshows (not totally sure why they made it in the first place as mac osx doesnt support it...) Nowerdays you can create a complete slideshow skinned exactly how you want with only css3 You can find something like that HERE, also THIS is a good place to start for css3
    Thanks for that information, I am trying to implement it now. I have it working on explorer but its all messed up on firefox and chrome. Im still looking into it. Thanks for all your input. It does help. I will check out that colour scheme site now.

Got the slideshow working fine by itself on all browsers but when I add it to my site the unordered list element get confussed with the unordered list in the navigation. They both have different classes. If you try it you will see that if you go back on the slideshow first it will work but if you go forward one of the list items dissapears from the navigation. I think it is a problem with my css but I can't see it.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 223693
    I'll second the colourlovers.com mention, if only because I was thinking about it before I saw m3n0tu18's reply. Failing that, maybe you can draw some inspiration from tribute.ca (they are sort of a competitor).

As far as your site goes, I don't think the layout is your biggest concern at this point. The biggest problem I see with your site is simply "it's been done."

You're reviewing movies. Been done. A LOT.
    You're reviewing video games. Been done. A LOT. Every guy over the age of 13 that doesn't have a significant other of some sort reviews video games.

I don't see a thing on the surface that sets your site apart from other review sites. What's different about it? What would I see here that I don't see anywhere else?
    :O HES BACK!!!!!!!!!!!! THE GAME IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

View my company Website

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Took your advise and changed the colour scheme and I got rid of the flash clip too. Its a bit easier on the eye now. Can't get the slideshow to work proper yet. I used the example that m3n0tu18 linked to with a lot of modification. It works fine by itself but not with my navigation bar. I think the problem has to do with the slideshow using the z index to work and it messes up the navigation unordered list. If it goes backwards its fine but when it goes forwards the z index goes below 0 and makes the elements in the navigation bar disapear. Its probably a problem with my css or in the java script. I will get it eventually. I think I am happy with the look of the site now (still a lot of additions to go in). Thanks for your input, it did help.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mc Grath, post: 223840
    Took your advise and changed the colour scheme and I got rid of the flash clip too. Its a bit easier on the eye now. Can't get the slideshow to work proper yet. I used the example that m3n0tu18 linked to with a lot of modification. It works fine by itself but not with my navigation bar. I think the problem has to do with the slideshow using the z index to work and it messes up the navigation unordered list. If it goes backwards its fine but when it goes forwards the z index goes below 0 and makes the elements in the navigation bar disapear. Its probably a problem with my css or in the java script. I will get it eventually. I think I am happy with the look of the site now (still a lot of additions to go in). Thanks for your input, it did help.
    Just had a relook at the site. That is 100% better, the contrast of the black, red, blue etc really work well. Good one

With your drop down nav. Ive noticed the sub container font color is black, try changing this to white and it should stand out alot more.

Also at the bottom right of the footer. Add a padding of 10px to the far right container, Having the text directly on the border doesnt work well im afraid.

So much better tho man. Keep it up

View my company Website

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm confused. Where's the red? I only see a greyish-blue happening. Or am I missing something obvious?

At any rate, I think this is better as well, but the headers are lacking in contrast (the white on light grey is hard to read). If you could work more blue into the header color, that'd be awesome as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads