Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi everyone,

My name is David and I am a university student from Melbourne, Australia. I've recently set up a site at http://www.1000words.net called 'A Picture's Worth'.

However, I am having problems with the fact that visitors using less than 1024x768 resolution (e.g. 800x600) are not able to view the page properly. I have never had problems before because this site's navigation is rather different as I am keen to have the photograph and the accompanying text together all the time. Would anybody have suggestions on how I can improve the site? Is my only option to make a completely different version for 800x600 users?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
    David

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Your sites good, I like it. Nice and simple which is always good. There are a couple of errors i found while going through it though which is your picture of a month thing at the top right. If you click on any of those pictures you go to the weding picture. Whats the point of having the other pictures there if you cant go see them. Either have it go to there page or whater or just dont have them and only have the wedding 1.

About the 800x600, this is very important so i suggest you do something about it which it looks like you are . If you have the time i say make 2 versions of it one for 800x600 or one for 1024x768 and above. If you know javascript I believe you can expand or contract your images and content depending on the users settings. That would also be a great way to do it if you know how or could learn. You could always just make it smaller so it works for every1. You must make it atmost 780 pixels wide for it to work on 800x600. As said before some browsers need 769 max width so you might want to go with that.

Welcome to the boards and it looks good .
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

Member #
    Hi Jason! Thanks for your feedback and the welcome!

The three pictures linking to the same page is not so much an error but temporary pictures that will lead to the 'Feature of the Month' for three months. They're not available seeing the site has been running officially for only a few days. Hence, the three pictures lead to information about 'Feature of the Month'.

Have you got a reference somewhere regarding the javascript and expanding images depending on user settings? That would certainly be the way to go. If you cannot recall, have you got any keywords to suggest, so as to get me started on my search?

I'm glad you like the overall design and thanks very much for your feedback!

Regards,
    David

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Im not sure how to do it exactly but I know alot of other people here do. Go into the Javascript forum and post a thread there asking how to expand and contract your site depending on your resolution and im sure people will get back with you. A few of the people live in the UK and alot of them live in the USA so you might have to wait for some of them to wake up tomarrow as it is almost 4 am where i am right now . Some of us are up late so you might get a reply soon, but im not sure most likley tomarrow as i said.

Good luck with it .
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

Member #
    hey David!

Im also from Australia about 2 hours away from Melbourne.

your site is nicely designed. Its quite dark so i would sugest that you try some lighter colors. Im on 800x600 so navigating through your site can be a bit hard Most ppl still use 800x600...

Fort he javascript thing. I suggest that you make 2 versions of your site. one for 800x600 and one for 1024x768.
    Personally i think that all sites should be optimised for 800x600.

overall, good job.

Member #
    Welcome to the boards david, nice site. I have a few comments:
    1. The first problem I notice is that you have THREE horizontal scroll bars (using Mozilla Firebird, only 2 scrollbars in IE) . More than one horizontal scroll bar gets confusing, and three is way too many, IMO. Instead of using frames, I would recommend you look into SSI (Server Side Includes). SSI would allow you to have the text right on the page, instead of in a frame, and would eliminate the scroll bars. A liquid layout would be far better than a static layout in this case. Here is a link to a short tutorial on SSI using PHP. It's very easy, you dont need to know alot of php to use php include().
    2. I dont like how the slider is invisible on the scroll bar. I like being able to drag the slider so I can move down/across the page faster.
    3. I dont see any reason why this layout couldn't work on an 800x600 resolution. All you need to do is make the text "A Picture's Worth." smaller in width. It's very wide anyway, making it skinnier will look better I think. I'd recommend going with a fixed width, variable length (dependant on content) design.

I like the design, and love the photography. Clear up a few issues, and you'll have a great website.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Nice lookin site. The scrollbar thing annoys me. I also hate that the custom colors for the scrollbars essentially hide the current position in the page. You're removing functionality.

By the way, I love the domain name !

Member #
    Hi everyone!

Thank you very much for your feedback! I am very grateful for it.

Jason, I'll be seeing what I can do with javascript because it seems more feasible for me compared to having two versions of the site. And boy, you were up late!

Hi Buntine! Whereabouts in Vic are you? I understand what you are saying about 800x600 - I regret not thinking about it until I was basically finished. I had no idea that people still used that mode - but my experience is limited since I only based it on the modes of my uni computers and the fact that less than 15% of visitors to the site were using 800x600. The only thing I am trying to find a balance is ensuring the biggest size photo. I'll be working on it although it'll take a while (a 'work on the weekend' sort of thing').

Hi Splufdaddy! Thanks for your feedback! The multiple horizontal bars has been a real pain and it's noticeable on Mozilla and Netscape. I had basically lacked foresight when I designed it because on IE and 1024x768, there is only one horizontal bar (on Netscape, there is two confusing ones). I agree that it is confusing otherwise. I'll certainly be checking out your suggestions regarding SSIs. I wonder whether it will allow me to have scrolls because I would like the photograph constantly visible when visitors read the stories. Optimising it for 800x600 shouldn't be a problem but it's the fact that only 15% of visitors use that mode that is thing that stops me (whereas the other 85% are using 1024x768 or higher). Nonetheless, I don't want to alienate them.

Thanks very much for your input everyone! Unfortunately, there won't be much change in relation to your suggestions in the next few days (because of lack of time). However, I'll post here again once I've had a real go. Thanks again.

Member #
    Does anybody know how I can get rid of the multiple scroll bars that happens when viewing my page using netscape? I still can't quite figure it out.

Member #
    Did you try reducing the height of the iframe? That could be the problem, the iframe is too large for the table cell. It's just a guess, I only took a quick look at your source code.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads