Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2783 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    1.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.5 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi guys,

I just relaunched my portfolio site. For the most part, it should be okay, but there may be some odd goofiness since I just put it up.

There also will be an addon at some point in the future (a blog of sorts), so this is part of the reason for the redesign.

Anyway, leave your thoughts as usual. I may adjust a couple of things this weekend, but I actually think it turned out kind of sort of maybe okay for the most part.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    For now, the only thing I dont like is that the bottom scrolly part is a little cramped on my resolution. The header takes up top half of the screen. You might want to spread out the phone number and the contact form link horizontally.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by George Dolidze, post: 224855
    For now, the only thing I dont like is that the bottom scrolly part is a little cramped on my resolution. The header takes up top half of the screen. You might want to spread out the phone number and the contact form link horizontally.
    I think your header is way to big. Its cool that it doesn't move but its takes up too much of my screen. Every time I look at it I fell like I want to move it out of the way like a window lol. Oh and when I open it it loads painfully slow. The first time my internet crashed. I don't know if its because of your site.. maybe just a coincidence.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Also, when it starts loading the only text I can see is the navigation at a standard font but when the rest of the page finishes loading the font an size change.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ok, Adam, put on your thick skin... I'm gonna tear it apart a little.

1. Portfolio Scroller in the header.... doesn't make sense there, really, from a branding standpoint. Is the site called "view my portfolio"? That's what stands out the strongest as a "logo" of sorts.

2. When I click a link on the scroller, I get a .net error. Lots of the site, actually. I understand it's in development. Just make sure when it's done, they're all gone.

3. When rolling over the arrows, I get a 1999 single-speed scroll effect, with no accelimation. Forget about having any control over how fast I move... it feels clunky and old and isn't usable.

4. Now let's talk about those borders on the scroller. Whoah contrast! How about turning down white to a medium brown tone? Will still be noticeable, and will not hurt the eyes. Better yet, go with thicker solid borders to match the content of the site. You're not doing a double border anywhere else.

5. Hate the font you used for your name/logo. Maybe if it was 2-3x bigger, it would "feel" playful.

6. Why, with Google Web Fonts, are you using Cufon for the text in your header and menu?? Cufon is dead! Didn't you get the memo?

7. And why is the header area so tall? You could easily lay out the contact info horizontally and make better use of that space.

8. The fixed header is WAY too tall. On my widescreen laptop, it consumes more than 1/2 the height of the browser. That's very bad. I can't visualize an entire page of content at a time, and I have to scroll twice as much... A fixed header shouldn't be more than 50-60px. Yours is about 400px.

9. The actual content isn't really designed well. It's very text heavy. No iconography. No typography to indicate importance. Again, it feels like 1999.

10. The colors, textures, and fonts chosen are all really nice. But they're not combined together into a harmonious package. Everything feels "incomplete" (missing a buff, and then some polish, if you will). Start with some of the broad-stroke changes I suggest (e.g. fixing the header disaster), and then go through and start adding formatting to the "incomplete" bits. I know that content design is the annoying part, but it's what makes a website great.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I f**king hate the three of you.

Steven: I'm not using Google Fonts until they actually come up with some way to anti-alias fonts properly, and if they have it, I haven't seen it yet. Until then, I'm sticking with Cufon. I have no problem switching if/when that happens, though.

I have absolutely no idea what accelimation means (never heard the word before). Either tell me or show me what you're talking about.

Not sure which borders you mean. Be more specific.

The font...you never like any fonts, so that's staying.

It was tall because when I tried to put the contact mail button to the right, I couldn't get it to look right. I'll mess with it again on the weekend, though. It's going to stay fairly tall for a reason, though. If anything, I may unfix it and recap the menu on the footer. It's 324 pixels, not 400. I did try to keep laptops in mind, though.

And where exactly would I put icons (more importantly, what) in the layout? I'm going to rewrite some of the pages anyway, but I'm intentionally trying to keep the use of icons to a minimum 1) because I can't draw them worth a crap, 2) because the free ones almost never fit with what I'm trying to do and 3) because that's not what I'm going for. I'm also not just going to stick them in unless they work.

If I'm going to do anything, I'll stick pictures into the pages (not the articles because they're going to get moved in the long run) to illustrate various things, and I was thinking about that anyway. Just to be clear, this is not the end point, but a starting point.

The scroller is where it is intentionally for now. I'm not going to get into the reason (mostly because I don't expect it to make a lot of sense to anyone in the web community but me at the moment), but I have one.

Andrew: the site was in a debug mode, which may have been the reason why you saw what you saw. Try it now. it's also why there were .NET errors.
    George Dolidze likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 224868

Steven: I'm not using Google Fonts until they actually come up with some way to anti-alias fonts properly, and if they have it, I haven't seen it yet. Until then, I'm sticking with Cufon. I have no problem switching if/when that happens, though.

I have absolutely no idea what accelimation means (never heard the word before). Either tell me or show me what you're talking about.

Not sure which borders you mean. Be more specific.

The font...you never like any fonts, so that's staying.

It was tall because when I tried to put the contact mail button to the right, I couldn't get it to look right. I'll mess with it again on the weekend, though. It's going to stay fairly tall for a reason, though. If anything, I may unfix it and recap the menu on the footer. It's 324 pixels, not 400. I did try to keep laptops in mind, though.

And where exactly would I put icons (more importantly, what) in the layout? I'm going to rewrite some of the pages anyway, but I'm intentionally trying to keep the use of icons to a minimum 1) because I can't draw them worth a crap, 2) because the free ones almost never fit with what I'm trying to do and 3) because that's not what I'm going for. I'm also not just going to stick them in unless they work.

If I'm going to do anything, I'll stick pictures into the pages (not the articles because they're going to get moved in the long run) to illustrate various things, and I was thinking about that anyway. Just to be clear, this is not the end point, but a starting point.

The scroller is where it is intentionally for now. I'm not going to get into the reason (mostly because I don't expect it to make a lot of sense to anyone in the web community but me at the moment), but I have one.

Andrew: the site was in a debug mode, which may have been the reason why you saw what you saw. Try it now. it's also why there were .NET errors.
    It loads a little better and I haven't seen any .net errors yet.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yup.

I guess I should probably have waited before I went to the gym. heh

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 224868
    Mission accomplished
    AlphaMare likes this.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, you bastards, I figured out how to get the contact email link on the same line. It looked like a bag of *** the first time I did it, but it's okay now.

I'm still leaving the header fixed for now, and I'm still leaving the portfolio at the top. The exact height of the header is 266 pixels, and I'm okay with that for the time being. I'm going to see what happens with this.

I think I know what's making the home page load slower than I would like, and it should be fixable tomorrow. I'm going to have to mess with it to make it happen, though.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads