Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello all,

Last summer, I designed a site for the Jackson Lab at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, commonly known as where DNA was discovered by Watson and Crick. My skills have improved since, and only recently was I able to insert the content into the site.

Please note a few things. The target demographic for the site is that consisting of post-doctorate researchers/ science faculty whose institutions operate at resolutions of at least 1024 x 768 and have broadband internet connections across the board.

Despite this, the site (except for the homepage) fits in windows under 800 x 600 resolution, and all images have been optimized for download speed (the nav buttons however, need to be further optimized).

I won't have the time to make changes as I have other projects waiting, but I just wanted some feedback on what is arguably my most "big name" url to date.

Visit: http://jacksonlab.cshl.edu

Thanks.
    -Upton

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Very Nice. I am going to give it a 4 though because there is horizontal scrolling at 800x600, which I can't stand.

Good work, and welcome
    JR

Member #
    Nice lookin site, I like the photography. If I wasn't on dial-up for this week, I'd give you a 5, but it took a little while to load for me, so I give it a 4 too.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Very nice, the only thing I might change is the flare on the main page... it's just too attention-grabbing in all that saturated green
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Because the site uses a Dreamweaver template system, I may be able to shave some more pixels off the content well so that there's no scrolling in 800 x 600 resolution. Spluf-- sorry it was slow to load for you; but you can only compress such (relatively) large photographs before the quality suffers too much. Brak-- believe it or not, that's exactly the way the image came out from my Sony DSC F707-- no retouching was needed.
    -Upton

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Originally posted by JR
    Very Nice. I am going to give it a 4 though because there is horizontal scrolling at 800x600, which I can't stand.

Good work, and welcome
    Ditto, it's spectacular except for that one problem. I'm a sucker for good photos in a website
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    great photography! it can be hard to make photography look good in a website but you have pulled it off.

some suggestions:
    - preload your mouseovers
    - it gets a tad boring after you get past the header on the content pages. Mayby you could run an image down th side of the page just to liven it up a bit.

good job

Member #
    Hello,

Thanks again for all the constructive thoughts-- those who are not really into design either hate a site or hit the other extreme: oohing and aahing with little else to say.

Except for header in the Projects section, I personally took and processed all of the photos, so I'm glad you like them.

Buntine-- as far as I know, everything that should be preloaded is. Could you take a look at the code and give a shout if that's not the case?
    -Upton

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Beautiful design.
    • The photography is not only bright and bold, but pertinent to the topic of your site.
    • Not only that, but the banner image cleverly fits the width of the page with a liquid layout that has the feeling of a fixed-width layout.
    • The graphics are subtle, yet striking at the same time.
    • The content is legible and well laid out.
    • You use fonts, bolding, and italics well.
    • The navigation is easily discernable. Your sub-navigation is reiterated in the content.
    • And it even fits into 800 x 600 nicely !!

I can't think of one negative thing to say about this site. I think we all should look at this as an example of what to strive for in our own designs.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Actually, i found a couple negatives (minor though).

1) You're caching your rollovers, but they're still loading slowly (sometimes not at all). I think you should look into your JS a bit and see what problems you're having.

2) on the splash page, your links are too low-contrast, and tend to disappear into the photo montage.

Despite these minor things, I gave you a 5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads