Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member Kris Jolls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    17
    Member #
    29536
    Liked
    3 times

    Current Rating

    Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

    Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

    Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

    Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

    Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

    Rate This Site


    Advertisement (login to hide this!)


    You must be logged in to view this site

    Please check out my very first mock-up of a fake site. I am taking an HTML class with no instruction in design so this is my first go at a site I just made up for my phone. Please comment and give any advice as I would appreciate it and go easy on me it's my first I didn't put a lot of thought into the logo but maybe I'll work on that some more. After the design is finished I will also code it and place it back up for further review. Mahalo.droidx.jpg

  2.  

  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    71
    Member #
    28914
    Liked
    1 times
    Yea...just taking a class, huh? It is great. Beginner class, or what? does it work on all screens and browsers?

  4. #3
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,483
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Looks like it'd be a pretty cool site once it's done. For a project/something to screw around with while the teacher gives you an A+ because (s)he was expecting something along the lines of My Trailer Park, it's pretty nice-looking. Hard to say for sure because it'll really depend on how you code the thing, but it's a good start.

    I don't get the red swirly thing on the left, though. Is that just abstract art for the sake of abstract art, or does it serve a purpose or mean something? Looks cool, but I don't get it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    Member #
    30012
    Liked
    2 times
    Definitely looks great for a first mock-up. I think the color scheme is a little off, and the glows are a little too extreme. Light glows do just fine

    footer too dark too. lighten it up
    Kris Jolls likes this.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    71
    Member #
    28914
    Liked
    1 times
    Good points were made, but theGAME said the most important part...the coding. I suggest going to cites like w3 and actual designers sites to ensure your code looks the same. Especially with the CSS!!! Teachers will get iffy when you have redundancies. Why spend 10 minutes doing something, when you could have spent 5. Small scale...it is fine, but it shows you do not have an understanding for actual design which will prove difficult on big jobs. They will be real picky AS THEY SHOULD BE. Your classes, ID's, and CSS should be your main concern. Check deep into classes (most web people honestly don't understand classes). They are important and have the same principal as in programming *foreshadowing

  7. #6
    Junior Member Kris Jolls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    17
    Member #
    29536
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by naynay447, post: 225147
    Yea...just taking a class, huh? It is great. Beginner class, or what? does it work on all screens and browsers?
    The class I am taking is in HTML/Xhtml and pays little attention to teaching design. Layout but not really design. I gave my self the task of making three fake site then free one to a friend before I actually take on clients. I will code the entire site and then re post it for further advice. I am completely new and this is my first time even trying to do a mock up. Thanks.

  8. #7
    Junior Member Kris Jolls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    17
    Member #
    29536
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 225160
    Looks like it'd be a pretty cool site once it's done. For a project/something to screw around with while the teacher gives you an A+ because (s)he was expecting something along the lines of My Trailer Park, it's pretty nice-looking. Hard to say for sure because it'll really depend on how you code the thing, but it's a good start.

    I don't get the red swirly thing on the left, though. Is that just abstract art for the sake of abstract art, or does it serve a purpose or mean something? Looks cool, but I don't get it.
    Thanks theGame. Yeah I'm taking a class online and so no teacher to impress and the class has no instruction in design and so the teacher will never even see this lol. I plan on coding it to the best of my ability.

    The red thing is like an abstract of the droid logo. I was messing with an animated gif to make it blur in and out but I just left it alone. Kinda used it to take up space on the billboard. Going to intergrate it on the sub pages which i'll post soon.

  9. #8
    Junior Member Kris Jolls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    17
    Member #
    29536
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by naynay447, post: 225184
    Good points were made, but theGAME said the most important part...the coding. I suggest going to cites like w3 and actual designers sites to ensure your code looks the same. Especially with the CSS!!! Teachers will get iffy when you have redundancies. Why spend 10 minutes doing something, when you could have spent 5. Small scale...it is fine, but it shows you do not have an understanding for actual design which will prove difficult on big jobs. They will be real picky AS THEY SHOULD BE. Your classes, ID's, and CSS should be your main concern. Check deep into classes (most web people honestly don't understand classes). They are important and have the same principal as in programming *foreshadowing
    Thanks naynay. I plan on using everything I learned including CSS. My goal is to make it cross browser compatible because imo today that should be a must. Like I said before unfortunately I don't have a teacher to review this or the code when I am done so I put it up on this site to get some help and it is all very much appreciated. Thanks. I did just receive a six month extension on my online class, maybe I will send it to my instructor after coding anyway.

  10. #9
    Junior Member Kris Jolls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    17
    Member #
    29536
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Winbot, post: 225171
    Definitely looks great for a first mock-up. I think the color scheme is a little off, and the glows are a little too extreme. Light glows do just fine

    footer too dark too. lighten it up
    I'll lighten up the glows and the footer. Yeah I need to go back and dial in the colors thanks.
    Winbot likes this.

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    Member #
    30012
    Liked
    2 times
    Dont get me wrong, I like the colors, I guess it's just the shading in some of them. Top nav could use a different font too maybe? or maybe just smaller text, not too sure theres a few things you can change very slightly to get a different look.
    Kris Jolls likes this.


Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:23 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com