Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all, :help:

Not sure if this is the best way to share a PSD file for review please let me know if I can make it easier to see.

This is the general idea for a site for a local surf board repair man. (who happens to be my old man). The brief was for a relatively simple clean site with ties to surfing.

Im just looking for any input that will help save a bit of time later on. The idea is to create a slide show in the box with the image and drop down menues using JQuery.

I think the main problem im running into is how to display this much data? IE all the prices there. (this will be the most data heavy page)

Thanks in advanve

Test1.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    the design concept looks quite nice.

I would change a few things though;

1. Make the headings in table stand out from the rest of text that is there

2. Have a footer with links and copyright info. (put it in another container)

Other than that I think iit looks alright
    jesse Willson likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks Fahim,

I will get onto that and re-post when I actually have something to show haha

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't see a simpler way to do what you're doing. You've got a lot of comparative data (weird...fifth time I've used the word "comparative" today, and second in the last five minutes). You need a grid for it.

As far as the slider, I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but you may want to check out Slides. It's a pretty easy plugin to work with.

The dropdown menus can be created using the slideDown and slideUp functions.
    jesse Willson likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 226564
    As far as the slider, I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but you may want to check out Slides. It's a pretty easy plugin to work with.
    Sweet thanks man! That looks almost exactly like what I had imagined. Guess you just saved me about 3 hours of google time! haha

Thinking that I could simplify it down to 3 different tables and then link through to each, or evan use slide to move them across. So it would look more like this
    Screen shot 2011-12-09 at 7.01.55 PM.png
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's another option. You can use the slides plugin to transfer between sections as well if you like.

It's a good plugin, but it's a tiny tiny bit finicky, so don't try to get the slider working with everything immediately. Take your time and do it a chunk at a time.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 226569
    That's another option. You can use the slides plugin to transfer between sections as well if you like.
    When you say different sections do you mean what would normal be individual pages?

Cool thanks for the heads up man. To be honest im out of my depth Im still new to CSS and have never used and java/Jquery so I will take it very slow.

Thanks again for the help! Very much appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The second option certainly looks more presentable.

I would also consider, since you plan to use drop-down menus, swapping the order of your rotating image section and your menus, so that the image section isn't obscured by the drop-downs.

I'd be tempted to widen the footer section so it is either as wide as the main body and has the same shadow effect, or at a width of 100% extending to the bottom of the page.

There are plenty of javascript resources out there with free sample code which is easy to implement. With reasonable HTML knowledge and the trusty Ctrl+Z you'll soon work out what altering certain parameters will impact upon! Here's one I've come across, although as I'm no Javascript pro so I can't vouch for the quality of the code.

There's a great book to ease you in to HTML5 and CSS - Build Your Site The Right Way, which I have used. It starts very basic but will give you a great footing - I got halfway through the worked example and then went off on my own and am now fairly confident. For pure CSS I'd recommend The CSS Anthology, although for a beginner I'd go for the former because you are learning in the context of building a site, rather than being provided with specific examples.

Remove Ads