Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Our Site

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Looking to develop our site further. We haven't used a framework or theme to make this site. I coded it all in PHP, CSS and some Javascript, from scratch. I'm now much better at coding and will be cleaning it up a whole lot (I have a long ie.css file which I don't think is ever a good sign). We will be tweaking the design too. Would love some feedback in order to prioritise and plan some improvements.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Wow i'm finding it hard to find things to fix. Its pretty good right now.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    I like it, it looks very nice!

Few things I notice are on your four column boxes on the home page, I think the box titles need a bit more top and bottom padding, also their bottom border is wider than their container box.

I think your "Research" "Concepts" "Build" "Launch" looks very nice, however the text that comes up isn't very obvious and looks a little out of place. Maybe it would be better to contain this information?

Finally, your main navigation text. It looks very nice, and it probably looks better small, however it's a little hard to read. If you could maximise this text as much as possible then that would help with usability.

The next comes with the fact that this will scale down to a mobile resolution but there are some problems. Again with the text next to "Research" "Concepts" "Build" "Launch", it needs to be wider here.

But really, lovely site, great attention to detail. Lots of nice mouse over stuff etc.
    Dean Wilson likes this.
    Mark Gannaway Software Developer

Recent Experiments
    - Backpropogation Neural Network language solving (http://ann.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Animated image to ASCII (http://google.ganners.co.uk/)
    - 3D Paper Characters (http://cybergame.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Anagram solving (http://roflol.co.uk/)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    the site is far from being perfect and love the simple lay out design great job and keep it up
    Your cool Web Design and Web Development resources

Member #
    Overall, love it. The one thing I dislike is the group of four circles in the middle of the home page above the words research, concept, etc.

To me, your overall theme is very rustic/retro and these images don't fit at all because they're super "smooth". I don't have any recommendations for what to put there instead, though .

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I really love the look. The only recommendation I could make is to have a way to have the hover images already proloaded. You could do this either from javascript or the more simple route of having the hover image in the same file as the non-hover image, and move the position by using css.
    Dean Wilson likes this.

Member #
    Yes, Kayo thank you for that. They were supposed to be preloading with JS but that's clearly not working!
    Patrick - We had a different slider - smoother, but, because of its shape it had to be .png file and it was taking way too long to load. Maybe its the slider style that doesn't really go with the rest of the site (especially the circles beneath it) and maybe if this was more in line with the style of those circles then it would solve that issue?
    Thanks for feedback. Get's difficult to assess your own site when you've been looking at it for so long.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayo, post: 228589
    I really love the look. The only recommendation I could make is to have a way to have the hover images already proloaded. You could do this either from javascript or the more simple route of having the hover image in the same file as the non-hover image, and move the position by using css.
    Got it working (again) with jQuery. Thanks for pointing it out.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Wilson, post: 228698
    Got it working (again) with jQuery. Thanks for pointing it out.
    It works great in Firefox, but I don't see the hover image anymore on Google Chrome.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayo, post: 228717
    It works great in Firefox, but I don't see the hover image anymore on Google Chrome.
    Yeah i had that too in chrome but I hit ctrl f5 and then it was fine. Hopefully that works for you too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads