Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I built my first site from ground up and had some trouble with it. The site was bascially idle for 7-8 months and I didn't do much with it. I built the site just as project to have some fun with. It's basically a big QR code that has spaces available for other people to post their QR code within it. I think I did it the hard way by using a html image map. Each square is clickable and the individual then submits there info and QR code. I then have to manually upload the new image into the image map and change the links. It's all a very manual process.

I've since moved it to wordpress, but now I'm second guessing that move. Anyways, how can I remedy fact that the site is not very easy to manage and the process of uploading data that someone submitted is very time consuming for me.
    Can you please have a look and suggest how I could improve it would be great. I am thinking about removing the profile page for each submitted QR code and just use a fancy tooltip.

Member #
    What about giving each square a unique id. So you might define the 4th square in the 3rd row as id="s_3_4". Then serve up one tiny little jpeg for each spot. You could do "if s_3_4.jpg exists, display it, else display default square". When a user clicks any square, you use its id to know where to automatically upload the new image to. And if you're worried about people uploading things that aren't QR codes, then you could make yourself an admin button that says "yes" or "no" to each image before it gets inserted.

Member #
    I see where you are going with that. Would I use this with the html area map that I already have or would I need to rethink that?

Member #
    I'm actually not sure what an HTML area map is. DOH! Sorry!

Member #
    Maybe I didn't call it by the correct name. Maybe you know what an image map is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_map
    Using your suggestion, how do I server up the images so that they are displayed in the correct position?

Member #
    That's so awesome. I honestly didn't know that that existed. I'm merely a back-end guy.

Using my suggestion, you could do it with a million divs. Your way may very well be better.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    An image map uses a single image so there is no need to worry about positioning of multiple images.

It was popular early on as a design feature that allowed designers to say post a single image that had many areas that ( as you defined ) would be clickable links.

This is rarely used now, if you use CSS, you can define each block as a link and position it using CSS.

I've only run into one instance in the last 3 years where an image map was the most feasible option.

Member #
    So I would need to create a single CSS file for each block - which equates to over 250 CSS files.

Member #
    Is this how http://www.waterforward.org/ created it page?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbfanatpsu, post: 228577
    So I would need to create a single CSS file for each block - which equates to over 250 CSS files.
    NO! You simply need to have one selector (is that what those things are called?) for each block. They can all go in the same file.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads