Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is just a rough draft, with filler text (mostly default WP stuff). The plan is for it to be my blog on web design related subjects, though maybe I'll end up doing something else with it.
    So I'm going for a bit of a worn grunge look. Right now it has a lot of white space, but I haven't decided if it's actually too much or not. I'm not sure what to do with upper right area. Is it too boring without more going on? Or do you think that the simplicity is nice in this case? IAny feedback is welcome. I need some help to go to the next step with it design wise. Note: also uses CSS3 and HTML5 elements, and I'm only partly done making it compatible with IE, especially earlier versions.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Actually, it feels a bit cramped to me. The majority of the page elements are crammed in one little space. Were, it mine, if I may, I'd go to one sidebar, then expand the content area. Then, move the nav so it was either centered or put it at the top right. Also, at netbook resolution, the background does this:
    Attachment 2493
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Thanks.
    Looks like I need to reposition that image a little bit anyhow. What is a typical resolution for one anyhow? I've never known someone whom had one before, so just curious.
    I've found that the majority of visitors use 1024px wide or up (800 px wide used to be common, but not so anymore). If I do something for smaller devices it will be later on (I often make alternate stylesheets for alternative browsing devices).

I was debating making just two columns instead of three, I'm thinking I may do a few versions now as far as number of columns. Maybe the content area does need more breathing room, area up top maybe has too much though? Nav to the top right might look good, in fact maybe it would fix the top area looking too empty.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Most people do use a resolution at least 1024px wide, and in fact, about half of netbooks are that wide. The problem is, about half of users don't maximize their browsers all the time. What you'll want to do is create a layout that is responsive. It will start as a fluid design, but will use media queries to shift/resize elements as the browser window or device gets smaller. Perhaps you could use this to have 3 columns on a large monitor, but only 2 on a smaller one. The possibilities are pretty broad. In the short run, you could simply make the background for the main content div a separate image, which will keep it from getting jacked up.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Good points, and I've been doing a lot of alternative styles for iphones and the like lately, so maybe I will do one for other smaller resolutions as well. Since it's Wordpress having different numbers of columns is an easy option, and things will probably just shift around some in different resolutions/devices. To a point anyhow, I think that one can go overkill in optimizing things for different possibilities as well, and end up sacrificing some degree of "firmness" or control over the design, if that makes any sense. But I'm not to the point where I'm that devoted to having the design be a certain way just yet anyhow.

Remove Ads