Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi please check out my website.

Thanks
    Adam

Member #
    There are a few things I think you should look at with this site..

Your main header above the navigation, and the slider right below the navigation are very distracting. Especially that light gray bar that seems to be some kind of countdown before the next panel in your slider appears. I find my eye keeps following the gray bar while I'm trying to read your pages content.

The slider works fine - but the text probably shouldn't appear behind your left and right arrow buttons. "see our latest work"

The header image with your company name - for me - clashes with that 'paint splash' effect you have going on there.

Your example portfolio should be displayed on the screen and not something the visitor has to download.

On your contact page - you should have a full html form available for visitors to use rather than a simple mailTo: link..

Images - your images are too large - between the header and your slider the page is over 500KB to load.

You should do some research and investigate other design companies sites to compare. I find the 'The Web Designers idea book' by McNeil from HOW BOOKS to be a really useful guide to good design. Since you're trying to put yourself out there as designer for hire - your web site has to make a good impression. good luck.

Hope that helps.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I understand your point but I feel at the moment I like the way the site is and I feel your points are not major problems

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1234, post: 233051
    I understand your point but I feel at the moment I like the way the site is and I feel your points are not major problems
    First I would like to point out that as you have sent this site into the websites ratings and reviews section his points are very relevant. Site critisim is key to progression and development. If you don't like critism then Graphics/webdesign is not for you, choose another career. Also please read the Forum Rules before posting again.

Now for the review.

I do agree with shoffmans comments on the site.

General Layout:
    1. Personally, from a graphic design point of view, you could of done a bit better to stand out. You have far too much blue on the site. It needs to be toned down and have different colors in there. Don't go mad with color redesign because any more than 3 or 4 colors will cause the styles to clash and then the site becomes far too busy.
    2. The site layout is.... adequate. It does not really promote your aspirations of where you want this company to go. I suggest adding a call to action button saying "Our Portfolio" or such.
    3. Your header does need to be toned down a bit and less in your face, regardless if you are a new graphic design company or not.
    4. Space your site out a bit. Add interesting things to it. some vector work in the background? You need to promote that you are good at what you are doing rather than a newbie in the industry.

Code (very important one from a webdesigners point of view):
    • Im sorry to say but your coding skills are terrible at the moment. Your navigation form is all over the place, it needs to be,
      HTML Code:
       <ul>
       <li><a href="#">Page name</a></li>
       </ul>
      use w3c schools to learn more about coding practices.
    • Never use tables in your site... no matter what you think, most things can be done with DIV's and Classes

Home:
    1. Having the text "we are a brand new company with new ideas" is a very bad thing to do in the web industry. It gives the client the impression that you are inexperienced with design and development and will thus cause them to click the back button.
    2. Your slideshow is far too fast. Slow it down a little bit. Even if it is a second or so. Its currently giving the potential client of being rushed which believe me they DO NOT like that.
    3. Its /createnortheast not \createnortheast. That will lose you clients if they wanted to view your twitter feed by typing it in the address bar.

About:
    1. Personally I think you should add things in colums like... "The Team" and if there is 3 of you in the team have a vector/graphic image and then some blurb about that person and put them next to each other and use javascript to impress your clients like a fade to roll off type thing. At the end of the day you want to impress your client so they will use your services.
    2. You dont need the slideshow on every page of the site. The index page will do.

Services:
    1. You dont need 5 pages for the services page a simple 1 page will do saying something like...."Bespoke Websites from 100" "Print from 20" "Site Maintenance from 40pm" and in little text below them say something like "for a list of our prices please contact us and we will be happy to provide a pdf of these services". If you do something like that, put the from sections in div columns and style them to attract the customer. Have the links to your contact form with the specific service highlighted in a dropdown. It will help potentials to just name, contact, submit. Job done.
    2. Dont give exact prices... this can cause a problem for you in the future if you want to make amendments. Instead use the term From *pricehere* that way you have a big scope for marking up your designs etc.

Portfolio:
    1. Have this section in a tabbed section (see my frixel portfolio and you will see what I mean) That way you can have your graphics design, webdesign and logos seperate and they wont clash confusing potentials.
    2. Giving a price for site designs is an extremely bad idea. If you have a client that you thought you made a good deal with.. say a 1000 and then you uploaded their site to your portfolio with the price the client could look back at your site to get your contact number in the future and see that you charged them 1000 but another client 200 for the same job... they will not be happy. I suggest remove this.
    3. As shoffman said... Having example work linking to a download is a very bad thing to do... not only are you giving people your work designs for free (as you havnt watermarked them) you can also give a potential client the impression that you are just trying to spread virus's. Put them within a tabbed section if you want to promote those.

1. I see this often and I HATE IT. Put your contact section in a contact form rather than having a direct link to your email address on the site... no only does this lose you clients it will also cause you to potentially get spam. Not a good thing. At least with a contact form with a "Click here to make sure you are human" tickbox on the site you wont get spammers or spambots, and regarless what you might think if a client wants you to work for them, they WILL take the time to fill out the form.
    2. With your contact number I suggest you putting 0044 (0) *Number* here as you can then broaden your horizons with other countries. People from other countries will contact you more if you have the country code.

Others:
    • I suggest having a link somewhere with a terms and conditions. This way if people want to read them they can see what your T&C's are and decide whether you are the company for them. This does not apply as much to freelance webdesigners as it is just 1 person and can hand over T&C's on client site request, but companies with more than 1 person in it would be advisable.

Good Points:
    1. Your site fits within a 1024x768 screen. Good work. Not many graphics designers worry about this but it shows more professionalism if you fit the needs of most people.
    2. I like the content text style. Maybe make it a subtler color than black say #3d3d3d or #1a1a1a

Yes it may seem as though its a rant, but without something like this your company will never progress.
    Hope this helps and look forward to seeing your site revisions in the future.
    -m3
    shoffman3572 and AlphaMare like this.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    "Create North East is a web and graphic design company based in the North East" - North East of where?

I always like to try to do business locally when I can - if I don't know where a company is located, then I will often opt to find one that does say where it is. Saying where you are located should not but you off from a more global clientele, but will probably open more local doors for you as well.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 233061
    "Create North East is a web and graphic design company based in the North East" - North East of where?

I always like to try to do business locally when I can - if I don't know where a company is located, then I will often opt to find one that does say where it is. Saying where you are located should not but you off from a more global clientele, but will probably open more local doors for you as well.
    Of the UK. I missed that too.. but thats probably because Im from the UK too and knew what he was talking about lol.

View my company Website

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m3n0tu18, post: 233062
    Of the UK. I missed that too.. but thats probably because Im from the UK too and knew what he was talking about lol.
    Yeah, I had kind of figured that out, but the first rule of web design user experience is "Don't make them think!"
    m3n0tu18 and Webzarus like this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You all are so nice. I think this arrogance is almost unworthy of review.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the feedback, I am very interested for what people have to say and I am making some changes. When you talk about coding being terrible it was a general mistake in which I had not picked up on. Some of your feedback was very helpful and without this I can not pick up on such problems, but as in every case there will be things which I do not agree on but there is a lot I do agree on you with. I personally like the services page but it's nice to have feedback on it and I will look into that in the future and I have not given exact prices I have said starting from. But once again thanks for the feedback.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1234, post: 233075
    Thanks for the feedback, I am very interested for what people have to say and I am making some changes. When you talk about coding being terrible it was a general mistake in which I had not picked up on. Some of your feedback was very helpful and without this I can not pick up on such problems, but as in every case there will be things which I do not agree on but there is a lot I do agree on you with. I personally like the services page but it's nice to have feedback on it and I will look into that in the future and I have not given exact prices I have said starting from. But once again thanks for the feedback.
    Its not just that you missed the ul's stylings in the code you also missed things like correct tabbing throughout the code. Its used for organisation. All your code is lineal at the moment.

It really sounds from my point of view that you are someone who does not take critism at all well, but like I said previously without it you wont improve. Remember its not the case of what you agree with or don't agree with, its what your clients think at the end of the day, and from around 5 to 6 years experience I know that they will click the back button and go somewhere else.

Don't think that my review on the site is to get at you. Its not. I review quiet a few peoples sites and if I feel that they could do a better job I would say. It is a here to help forum after all Adam.

check out sites like:

www.noupe.com - Has brilliant tutorials and links to how a site should be.
    www.colourlovers.com - Fantastic palleting site for colors.
    AlphaMare likes this.

View my company Website

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads