Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I am currently in the process of making a new theme for a site run on wordpress. I was making this site previously in drupal but have changed over to wordpress and am making good progress.

I am hoping I can get some feedback on the site as I think right now it looks pretty good. The text is just temporary but I hope to have the placeholder text gone soon enough.

Thanks!
    Greg Froning

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Greg,

First of all, if you're trying to center your content, make a container div and set margin-left and margin-right to auto. Otherwise, people on smaller screens /laptops like me will be annoyed because there is a 400px margin on the left.

This is just a backbone, right? Simple enough. If this is anywhere near your final look that you want though, you should invest in style ideas, because this is extremely vanilla.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I am working on fixing the margin problem right now.

Do you have any suggestions to make it less vanilla?

EDIT: I fixed the margin issues

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    I like how you have started so far; My opinion - the navigation text, make it smaller and create some space between them. You can do this with padding. Instead of having one big long paragraph break it in to two or three and add some headings to each if it's possible. The border around the content area needs to be a lighter shade of gray and 1px. it looks like it's 2px. Add some padding to the images in the bottom (footer) area sto create some space between it and the text.

BTW: why did you abandon Drupal, it has so much more features. As much as I use Wordpress I often wish I would have taken to Drupal instead.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks DanExcell for all the suggestions! You are right about the border being 2px I will reduce it to 1px. I will add in the padding also. So if I make the navigation text smaller should I make the bar smaller too?

I mainly switched from drupal mainly because wordpress just seems to load a little faster on my host. Not sure if I am crazy but my guess is that wordpress is a little more light weight. The site also doesn't need a whole lot going on so I figured wordpress would work fine.

EDIT: I did everything up like you suggested. I do think it looks a bit cleaner now with those few little changes. I am going to try and get a bit more inspiration and see how that works out for me! :coffee:

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Froning, post: 233249
    Thanks DanExcell for all the suggestions! You are right about the border being 2px I will reduce it to 1px. I will add in the padding also. So if I make the navigation text smaller should I make the bar smaller too?

I mainly switched from drupal mainly because wordpress just seems to load a little faster on my host. Not sure if I am crazy but my guess is that wordpress is a little more light weight. The site also doesn't need a whole lot going on so I figured wordpress would work fine.

EDIT: I did everything up like you suggested. I do think it looks a bit cleaner now with those few little changes. I am going to try and get a bit more inspiration and see how that works out for me! :coffee:
    That makes a lot of sense considering how robust Drupal is. Well try this approach and see how it works for you.argo.jpg
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So to create the division on the nav bar do I need each menu item to be in a div or can I do that in a ul?

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Greg,

Danexcel has a great pic up -- just a sliver of pixels in your menu can add a lot of style!

I believe it's a UL there. LI float left. Display block, I think. Border-right:1px. Something like that.

Anyway, to answer your question about website style, well, its just like style in life: it comes natural or you have to learn it. You should do 2 things:

1. Be more aware of details the next time you visit sites. When you visit a site that looks nice, take notes and ask yourself why it looks cool. I personally bookmark sites that look cool. I also put some together on a page. You can see them at :

http://ronswebsite.com/concepts

2. Visit your competition. Just see what styles they do. Maybe even copy 1 thing from each.This is also important because potential clients will probably visit your competition's sites as well.

-r

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Okay thanks for the suggestions. I dressed up the site with the border separating the menu items. I am going to work on the text and everything now. Do you think the font is okay? I liked how it looked but I am just making sure it isn't just me. It is hard for me to tell how colors look together sometimes. (When colors are next to each other I have a hard time telling them apart.)

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Froning, post: 233297
    Okay thanks for the suggestions. I dressed up the site with the border separating the menu items. I am going to work on the text and everything now. Do you think the font is okay? I liked how it looked but I am just making sure it isn't just me. It is hard for me to tell how colors look together sometimes. (When colors are next to each other I have a hard time telling them apart.)
    you can add a width on each li of a 100px or use padding left and right to make it look wider. Right now you have the right idea, you just need to refine it.
    create an unordered list and add style to it. Keep in mind that simplicity is the key to an effective and aesthetically pleasing design.

<ul>
    <li><a href="#" title="Home">Home</a></li>
    <li><a href="#" title="Services">Services</a></li>
    <li><a href="#" title="Contact">Contact</a></li>
    </ul>

==============For Wordpress, Just add the tag below==============

<ul>
    <?php wp_nav_menu(); ?>
    </ul>

===================Above is the HTML - Below is the CSS==================

#menu ul
    {
    float: left;
    list-style-type: none;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    }

#menu li
    {
    display: block;
    background-color: transparent;
    width: 100px;
    margin:0;
    padding: 0px 0px;
    border-right: 1px #cdcdcd solid;
    text-align: center;
    float: left;
    }

#menu li a
    {
    font-family: Verdana, Arial;
    display: block;
    font-size: 11px;
    color: #f5f5f5;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 10px 0px 10px 0px;
    text-decoration: none;
    background-color: transparent;
    text-align: center;
    }

#menu a:hover
    {
    color:#0072bc;
    }

#menu .current-menu-item a
    {
    color:#0072bc;
    }

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads