Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I recently finished this website up and just wanted to hear some feedback on my design. The client wanted a very simple and easy to navigate site. It three different revisions to get to this current design. Client did not want anything real fancy. Client is always right!
    JSWEBZ
    The future of affordable web design.
    www.jswebz.com
    JS-Web Design Facebook page

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jswebz, post: 234371
    I recently finished this website up and just wanted to hear some feedback on my design. The client wanted a very simple and easy to navigate site. It three different revisions to get to this current design. Client did not want anything real fancy. Client is always right!
    Well, that client would not let you tell her how to train your dog - you pay her for her experience and expertise. You could explain to her that the reverse applies - you are the designer and know your business, and she would be well advised to take your advice.

That said, this is a very "old-school" looking site.
    I have several points that may improve the look and useability of the site:
    1.) fade the background image, and use fewer pawprints - it is extremely distracting as it is.
    2.) Make the navigation text bigger. At first I thought it was a one-page site, had to really look to find the nav. This is also partially due to the background, as stated above.
    3.) The dogtag idea for the address is cute, and suits the site, but again, the text is too small to read easily.
    4.) Fix the thumbnails in the gallery (in fact all the images on the site) so they are not stretched and distorted.
    5.) There should be some way to scroll through the larger photos in the gallery without having to close one and open the next each time. (http://visuallightbox.com/index.html - check the demo HERE)
    6.) Take the hit counter off or make it invisible. This is very old-looking, and most people don't trust them anymore, since they can so easily be faked.
    7.) Reconsider the colour scheme. The primary red, blue, and yellow are more suited to a daycare site than a dog-training facility.

Your own site is so nice - clean and crisp, even with the ads - you should be able to offer her something better, that would look more professional.

She is a trainer and also shows dogs to championships - the site should reflect that professionalism. Remind her that while she does own the site, it is really aimed at her potential clients, and so the design should keep in mind the impression it will make on them.

Find some sites (like these perhaps; HERE, HERE, and HERE) that you can show her, to reinforce your point in a positive way.
    jswebz and KevinM1 like this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thank you for the input. I agree with you 100%. I have to meet with her in a month to update her other site, so I will take some examples and try to convince her to give me creative freedom.
    JSWEBZ
    www.jswebz.com

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Oh my goodness. Alphamare is "the sh*t." I don't think I have anything more to add than what he already mentioned.

But I will reiterate some things.

The site does look old school, as in, it looks like a design acceptable 10 years ago. You will not see things like distracting patterned backgrounds and visible traffic counters on any contemporary designs. As time has gone on, I've noticed web design standards have risen greatly and so you should have that standard in mind before you even submit a first draft.

I also want to mention is that the photos page looks off.You should use never skew pictures because it just looks unprofessional. Instead, use a photo editor (I use photoscape because it shows your selection size) to clip a picture to make a thumbnail. The thumbnail won't show everything, but that's what will make the people click on the thumbnil in the first place.

Are you getting paid for this or is this a favor? If you're looking to build a career, I suggest giving her another round of revisions.

PS You are so lucky to be working on a dog site!

-R

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    One more thing:

I'm big on artistic ideas, so I want to say that you should find a free-to-use-commercially picture of a dog with a tag on flickr.com, then erase out his tag info and put the address of the dog college in. Would look a lot cooler than just a tag alone.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    [SIZE=11px]RDesignista[/SIZE], yes I am getting paid. This was actually the fourth version. The client turned down the first three that where designed to today's standards. I do not care much for this design, it was very similar to the original, as she requested, but believe it or not the original was alot worse. I may not like it but the money was good. I have been designing for about 10 years now, so i am not a beginner. I started out designing election and campaign sites for local politicians, and just recently began designing websites for businesses.
    JSWEBZ
    www.jswebz.com

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    She likes old school websites? Wow... well if she's happy and you get paid, why not? You can lead a horse to water...

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Wouldn't mind seeing pics of the turned down versions.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 234408
    Oh my goodness. Alphamare is "the sh*t." I don't think I have anything more to add than what she already mentioned.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jswebz, post: 234404
    Thank you for the input. I agree with you 100%. I have to meet with her in a month to update her other site, so I will take some examples and try to convince her to give me creative freedom.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads