Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Just finished this site and am trying to get some feed back and also a back link to Furniture City website I created. I was told to sign up for forums to help increase SEO.

Can I put out a general question to my fellow web designs for the best methods to improve SEO.
    My Five methods:
    1. Meta Tags...
    2. Domain name that has keywords in the title.
    3. Blog Post linking back to new website.
    4. Forum posts with back links
    5. Youtube

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    search "improve SEO" on this website. or better yet, search google. SEO is complicated, but I think coding and quality backlinks account for about ~45% of SEO.

this thread needs to be moved...

-R

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm going to leave it in this case, because there are some lessons to be learned here.

Dragonfly Designs: if you want to increase your SEO, you need to sign up as a regular subscriber to the Weekly World News website and leave comments on every story about the Bat Child.

Sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it? Why would a story on the Bat Child have any positive impact on search engine ranking? It shouldn't, and it doesn't. But I told you so, and by that logic it has to be true. Lesson Number 1: when it comes to SEO, most of what you will be told is absolutely ridiculous and couldn't possibly be true. Just don't expect it to be this obvious on the surface.

Lesson Number 2: Google has, as of a couple of weeks ago, announced an update (someone named it "Penguin") that openly targets what they consider to be spammy links and links gathered for "SEO purposes"...and with good reason. When you think about it, there's no logical reason why an "SEO backlink" should carry any benefit.

The "SEO backlink logic" is based on the 1999 revelation of Google PageRank, which states that links are used to help determine where and how a page should be ranked. Now, SEOs being who and what they are (i.e a bunch of entitled idiots) took that message and turned it into "we need as many inbound links to our site from all over Hell's half acre because SEO is links and links are SEO". First of all, the logic ignores both quality of an inbound link (since the spirit of the PageRank revelation is that a link was intended to represent an endorsement of the content of a page and/or site) AND the quality of outbound links, which is also a factor and arguably more important given that this is a factor within the website owner's control. But it's there.

Forums are part of this logic...since it's easy to create a signature and post spam, and since a lot of forums allow for it by accident or design, it's a "cheap backlink". They can be useful to promote oneself, but if you're looking for SEO benefit...don't. You're chasing your tail.

Lesson Number 3: Look at the nature of the link you're getting before you get it. In this case, i can guarantee you that the link to your site, from a strictly SEO point of view, is worth absolutely nothing. Wanna see how? Open up this thread in a different browser, one that you haven't logged into WDF using, and try and find your backlink.

WDF has been reworked so that links only show up to logged-in users.

Lesson Number 4: what's your hook? Your site's off to an okay start. Product displays relatively cleanly. It's not cluttered. But why would anyone come to Furniture City of Orange, California to buy bean bag chairs or futons or bunk beds? What makes this store unique?

A unique selling proposition is worth a lot.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Since I can't seem to finish off my comment, I'll finish it here...I'll leave the rest of the comments up to others.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I would fix your html first and foremost W3c Validator is showing your home page has 38 errors. It looks like you should have use Div Classes instead of Div Id's in some of the errors. If your site codes are not up to par neither will your SEO.

"An "id" is a unique identifier. Each time this attribute is used in a document it must have a different value. If you are using this attribute as a hook for style sheets it may be more appropriate to use classes (which group elements) than id (which are used to identify exactly one element)"

I would recommend running your site on WooRank because they do a thorough review of your site and you can make changes accordingly.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Hate to say it but a badly coded website that still loads will not negatively affect your SEO at all. Google doesn't care and why would they if a website provides a great answer but has some HTML errors do you think they will penalize that website? no. Matt Cutts has openly admitted this.
    I run a local SEO & Web Designer. Business Web Designs

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I have always heard that it did affect a website SEO ranking.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I'm not saying that you shouldn't care about html/css errors but as long as browsers can self correct those error and the display of the website/useability isn't affect it will not affect your rankings.

Had a little dig for you and found the video.

http://glendaledesigns.com/news/103.html This isn't the original video but it still supports my claim.

Also I have tested this and it supports what I have found.

Not that you should listen to everything matt cutts tells you. =)

hope this helps.
    I run a local SEO & Web Designer. Business Web Designs

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx, post: 235190
    I have always heard that it did affect a website SEO ranking.
    When I saw you mentioning how validated code makes it easier for search engines to crawl weeks ago, I immediately went and started doing "proper" code: putting "" around things, using lower case tags and adding / to my <br>s (I had about 130 errors on my website front page alone).

Well, I guess it doesn't make a difference, SEO-wise... but I'm still glad I put the time in to conform.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It actually does have an impact in some cases, but not in a direct manner, and to be honest I'm not even sure that Google is aware of it.

Valid, clean code = less time for a user agent to interpret exactly what's going on = quicker page load time = a Google ranking factor (albeit a slight one).
    Valid, clean code also generally means reduction in file size (since clean code = less code)...see above.
    Valid, clean code = increased likelihood that a user will enjoy your site and share it with others, which can indirectly contribute to search engine positioning as well.

I've actually improved a site's traffic threefold by doing nothing more than cleaning up the HTML/CSS on it a couple of times.

The stupid thing, though, is that because it's not really discussed or common knowledge, it's assumed that there is no benefit. There's always a benefit to good code, and it goes beyond search engines.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads