Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is a website designed for my place of employment. I just revamped it and want to know what everyone thinks. I can't make it too flashy because it is a government agency and we need it to be a bit simplistic so anyone who visits can easily navigate and read the content. This is so far the largest site I have worked on, but has been a lot of fun.
    JSWEBZ
    The future of affordable web design.
    www.jswebz.com
    JS-Web Design Facebook page

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Isn't it interesting that it's a govt. agency and the first tab on the menu is a calendar of when they are closed.... Just sayin...

Since it is a govt. agency that is there to help people...

I'd suggest... Don't make users have to hunt down the phone number...

A contact form to just report issues to the web master ???

Yeah, I read that, but people will still submit what they aren't suppose to... Doesn't matter that you cleat explained what the for was to be used for.

I'd put the address and phone number on the top right of every page ( in the header )... Studies ( eye mapping )... Show people are looking there...

I'd also put the address and phone in the footer of every page... Make sure that people can find it easily.

Layout is good, easy to navigate ( although I'd switch the menu items around just a bit )... Everything looks good.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Isn't it interesting that it's a govt. agency and the first tab on the menu is a calendar of when they are closed.... Just sayin...
    I didn't even think about it that way. Good one.:bounce:
    I do agree about the phone and address, I will making that change asap, thank you. You are right about the contact form, I receive quite a few submissions and have to forward on to the right person. The problem with having one contact form is that there are 5-10 different people that would need to receive info from this depending on what the contact was for. ie: report child abuse goes to one group, report welfare fraud goes to another, etc. I've been wondering what to do with that page.

What do mean by switch the menu items around? Switch the order they are in? I think I just might put the calendar for days we are closed last.
    Thank you for giving me some good ideas.
    JSWEBZ
    www.jswebz.com

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I actually have a DB system that all request go into, the contents of the comments are scanned, then the email is sent to the appropriate departments...

I have selection boxes for the different departments, but users don't always select one, or they select the wrong one... So I scan for keywords... I get Bcc on all... ( just to keep an eye on things ), and make appropriate tweaks to the filters...

For one company, I dump them into a "reporting" system, and one person goes through every morning... Assigns them to whomever... When that person addresses the issue... They go into the system and enter something indicating action has been taken...

A system like this will cut down on response time to reported incidents... As people let other things take precedence... Or they forget... With a reminder system in place... We took avg. response times from an email reporting system... @4-5 days response ... To a DB system that they were required to log at least when they took action down to 1-2 days response time...

When people know that their bosses can see that their responses can be viewed... And avg. time tracked... They either fall all over themselves to use the system... Or completely rebel.. But if the people in charge buy into it as a way to spread resources around... Then even those that rebel... Finally go along with it.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I like your thinking. It is written in .net format with vb.net backend so I may just have to work on something like that.
    JSWEBZ
    www.jswebz.com

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    jswebz,

I'd actually like to see a cleaner front.

The first thing people should see is:
    "Welcome to the new online home Jefferson County Department of Job and Family Services"

Our mission is to enhance the quality of life for the residents of Jefferson County, by supporting the delivery of health and human services.

Portal links, 'apply online,' and the hours of operation will be just fine on the sidebar.

Also, this will sound odd, but your site doesn't look 'government-ish'. For a family services gov site, I think you need a cheesy stock photo of a family embracing each other and laughing to complete the look.

Aside from the front, it looks pretty par with government sites... plain design, lots of words, lots of links.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    The overall font seems a bit to small, and you need to get rid of the text drop shadow (Menu, header logo text and body) especially in the menu because it makes it hard to make out the links unless you mouse over them.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    .gov websites tend to have a certain feel to them like https://jobs.utah.gov/ - They are not overtly stylized, but are not completely vanilla. Yours tend to look too stylized for a .gov website. Too much white space at the top part of your home page.

Fireproofgfx likes this.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    it seems a little bland to me, try adding a darker color in there somewhere
    Hey you! Go make something!

Remove Ads