Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    10
    Member #
    32114
    Liked
    1 times

    Current Rating

    Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

    Accessibility:
    2.0 out of 5

    Website Speed:
    2.5 out of 5

    Compatibility:
    1.5 out of 5

    Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

    Rate This Site


    Advertisement (login to hide this!)


    You must be logged in to view this site

    Hi please i encourage you all to tear up the site with all kinds of criticism, I can handle it. I am new at this. I got started when I was first became a first time mother and needed something to keep my mind sharp and so the seed of web building was planted.

    I started out with Joomla using dreamweaver, then moved into php, mysql to get those pesky forms to work and now deep into wordpress.

    I dont plan to make a large business out of it, but rather I see my self getting local businesses to at least get their brand online even if it's just a simple one.

    I like doing it because technology is always finding ways to make everything so much interesting and I like to learn all the cool things I am going to find the next time I visit a forum. So thanks for feedback.:wavespin:
    Ray Perez likes this.

  2.  

  3. #2
    WDF Staff smoseley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    9,729
    Member #
    819
    Liked
    205 times
    No major criticism, just lots of minutia. All in all, it looks very professional and nicely designed. Great work!

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    10
    Member #
    32114
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley, post: 238135
    No major criticism, just lots of minutia. All in all, it looks very professional and nicely designed. Great work!
    thank you for the 'minutia'

  5. #4
    Senior Member RDesignista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Coconut Tree City
    Posts
    822
    Member #
    30921
    Liked
    123 times
    Etheline,

    No real critique here. My main one would be that it looks like a template, but that's just because I do web design. One thing though: you need to change that first picture on the slideshow - IMO, that guy has a really creep smile. Also, in the Tri-Ox slide, it takes a full cycle for each line of words to appear.

    -R

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    10
    Member #
    32114
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 238146
    Etheline,

    No real critique here. My main one would be that it looks like a template, but that's just because I do web design. One thing though: you need to change that first picture on the slideshow - IMO, that guy has a really creep smile. Also, in the Tri-Ox slide, it takes a full cycle for each line of words to appear.

    -R
    Appreciate the feedback. Yeah, I used a template from tf and modified to suit the client.

    Might I ask how one does web design? I get confused sometimes with the terms: web designer, web developer, ux mx designer. I guess I am getting at what does it take before I can say to others I do web design or such?

  7. #6
    Senior Member RDesignista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Coconut Tree City
    Posts
    822
    Member #
    30921
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Etheline Cimatu, post: 238147
    Appreciate the feedback. Yeah, I used a template from tf and modified to suit the client.

    Might I ask how one does web design? I get confused sometimes with the terms: web designer, web developer, ux mx designer. I guess I am getting at what does it take before I can say to others I do web design or such?
    I'm not an expert with terms, but let me try to answer your question...

    You and I are both web designers. We make websites. I code them from scratch and you're using Joomla! (is that right?), but we both have the same result. I would say the most important trait of a web designer is having an artistic eye. The title "web designer" does not hold much value because anyone using a website builder can make a website and call themselves a "web designer." Therefore, it's important to have a portfolio of good-looking stuff so people know you're not a bad web designer.

    Web developers are guys that have knowledge of supplementary languages to websites like PHP, Jquery, ASP, etc. The languages they use are very similar to computer programming languages. Their jobs are more associated with creating functionality/plugins/tools rather than design/art. Furthermore, there is no replacement for actual knowledge of their languages (unlike HTML), so they are much better paid and in demand than web designers.

    UX/UI stands for user experience and user interface. They create cool-looking stuff that add interactivity and responsiveness for websites. They also focus on creating user-friendly interfaces for complex web stuff (think CMS). That's the best way I can describe them. They have a good mix of design and developing skills. Check out this site for an example of UX.

    -R

  8. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    10
    Member #
    32114
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 238149
    I'm not an expert with terms, but let me try to answer your question...

    You and I are both web designers. We make websites. I code them from scratch and you're using Joomla! (is that right?), but we both have the same result. I would say the most important trait of a web designer is having an artistic eye. The title "web designer" does not hold much value because anyone using a website builder can make a website and call themselves a "web designer." Therefore, it's important to have a portfolio of good-looking stuff so people know you're not a bad web designer.

    Web developers are guys that have knowledge of supplementary languages to websites like PHP, Jquery, ASP, etc. The languages they use are very similar to computer programming languages. Their jobs are more associated with creating functionality/plugins/tools rather than design/art. Furthermore, there is no replacement for actual knowledge of their languages (unlike HTML), so they are much better paid and in demand than web designers.

    UX/UI, I'm not sure on this, but they are associate with creating cool-looking stuff that add interactivity and responsiveness for websites. That's the best way I can describe them. They have a good mix of design and developing skills. Check out this site for an example of UI.

    -R
    Thank you of the response. It'd be an honor to see some of your work, you sound like you've got this whole web design down. I'd like to get some pointers if you don't mind.

    :happy:

  9. #8
    Senior Member RDesignista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Coconut Tree City
    Posts
    822
    Member #
    30921
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Etheline Cimatu, post: 238150
    Thank you of the response. It'd be an honor to see some of your work, you sound like you've got this whole web design down. I'd like to get some pointers if you don't mind.

    :happy:
    I've only been a web designer for 3+ months, so I'm actually a newbie :smug:. However, I have been learning a lot from reading web design articles in my spare time and from asking questions in these forums. I'm also forced to learn a little of everything since I'm working on a wide variety of projects right now (landing page, online store, my 1st Wordpress-based site, and a site with responsive design). It's much more efficient to specialize, but it's good experience nevertheless. When I redesign my site and actually add a portfolio, I'll make sure to send you a link!

    Lastly, I recommend that you look at as many websites as possible. There are so many website lists out there (for example "50 Beautiful Restaurant websites"). Bookmark sites that look awesome. Ask yourself why they look awesome or stand out from other websites. Try to take away several ideas from each awesome website (colors, typography, or a cool jquery thing) and save it for a future design. Like I said before, anyone can be a web designer, so analyzing well-designed sites is essential to learning how to be a good designer.

    -R

  10. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    10
    Member #
    32114
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 238159
    I've only been a web designer for 3+ months, so I'm actually a newbie :smug:. However, I have been learning a lot from reading web design articles in my spare time and from asking questions in these forums. I'm also forced to learn a little of everything since I'm working on a wide variety of projects right now (landing page, online store, my 1st Wordpress-based site, and a site with responsive design). It's much more efficient to specialize, but it's good experience nevertheless. When I redesign my site and actually add a portfolio, I'll make sure to send you a link!

    Lastly, I recommend that you look at as many websites as possible. There are so many website lists out there (for example "50 Beautiful Restaurant websites"). Bookmark sites that look awesome. Ask yourself why they look awesome or stand out from other websites. Try to take away several ideas from each awesome website (colors, typography, or a cool jquery thing) and save it for a future design. Like I said before, anyone can be a web designer, so analyzing well-designed sites is essential to learning how to be a good designer.

    -R
    Much appreciated. Thank you. I'll be sure to check those tips out.

  11. #10
    WDF Staff smoseley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    9,729
    Member #
    819
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Etheline Cimatu, post: 238136
    thank you for the 'minutia'
    I didn't post the minutia.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/minutia?s=t


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:54 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com