Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I have recently done some more updating to the site. The text and some of the images are not final but I was hoping to get your opinion on how it looks. I updated the background and fixed a few other small problems with the site.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Hey Greg,

It needs a lot of work. It has a 90's look and feel to it. I would recommend looking up "Inspirational Web design" to give you some ideas to make it more modern looking. The font size is to small and you need more padding around the sides.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Can you give any tips on what makes it look 90's? I am trying to create a professional feel to the site.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    First off let me start off by saying you are on the right track, You are using similar colors which help make the overall site blend together. The logo is good and works well with the menu.

As far as what made it feel out dated, I think the gradient background with the abrupt gradient fade towards the top of the page coupled with the Residential and Commercial clip-art or vector art which are really simple, made it look out dated. You need to get rid of the simple images and replace them with something more current. I thought I was looking at an air conditioner when I saw the commercial image. What I mean about a current image, lets use the house and the TV as comparison, the TV looks modern and it has depth, where the house and commercial images do not so it just seems out dated.

For the BG, I would recommend a subtle gradient not an extreme one. What you changed it to with the strips makes me think circus, candy, and popcorn lol.

RNB
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The new background is a MAJOR improvement. It looks more like a modern website now.

My advice:
    - More padding inside the nav links and on your content areas.
    - Change those white border lines to like a dark gray to make them look inset. Too much contrast as it is.
    - Stylize your tagline. Play with letter-spacing. Modern taglines tend to have the letters spaced out.
    - Consistency: Don't flip between hard corners and rounded corners. Pick one or the other. I think the rounded works better, so just change the navigation bar.

All I got.

Member #
    Background, text paddings are bad

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    You posted on these forums about 2-3 months back. You're reposting, but I don't really see any fundamental changes to your idea of website design. I think your site looks bland overall.

Anyway, you're a computer tech guy, not a website guy, so I suggest you just load up Wordpress, pick a theme that's nice, and get it out there already. No sense tinkering with all this web stuff if you're not a designer.

-R

Remove Ads