Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to get some input and ideas on how to freshen up my site.

Respectful comments are very welcome, and any creative suggestions are much appreciated.

Please just bear in mind that I am NOT a graphic designer, and put this site together a while ago as a test-bed for an idea that I had, which has started to show some promise. So now, I think it's time to get serious with the way it looks....

Thanks !

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Before you read ANYTHING just remember this is my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt

First of all I do not really think a fixed background is necessary here
    also the logo looks to, savage and rough for a a site about books
    the tags at the bottom should be organized in rows or something as randomness just turns me away
    take the link icon off the title of the books so that we may see them
    and change the style of the links in the header
    Make it so that when you hover over links they get an under line like this (css)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    a
    {
    text-decoration:none;
    }

a:hover
    {
    text-decoration:underline;
    }

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think the over-all website looks great! and has a purpose (which many of my sites lack)
    Keep Going! This is an awesome Idea! Have Fun!

-Matt
    Hey you! Go make something!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Noteleklabs, post: 238285
    Before you read ANYTHING just remember this is my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt

First of all I do not really think a fixed background is necessary here
    also the logo looks to, savage and rough for a a site about books
    the tags at the bottom should be organized in rows or something as randomness just turns me away
    take the link icon off the title of the books so that we may see them
    and change the style of the links in the header
    Make it so that when you hover over links they get an under line like this (css)
    a
    {
    text-decoration:none;
    }

a:hover
    {
    text-decoration:underline;
    }

I think the over-all website looks great! and has a purpose (which many of my sites lack)
    Keep Going! This is an awesome Idea! Have Fun!

-Matt
    Thanks Matt.

I can't figure out a way to tak off those "links" on the book covers - as I'm not a programmer and the bookshelf is actually a plugin, so I'm not sure where to start.

Same thing for the categories - they are all in a div, and so no matter what I have tried to either justify or put them into a nice, orderly look, just hasn't worked (trust me, I tried )

If you don't my mind my asking - what do you think of the color choices etc.... ?

RNB
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The logo to me is peculiar. It doesn't fit with the reader/writer theme at all, in my honest opinion. I too think the fixed background needs to go. Why'd you choose fixed positioning? I mean, it kind of creates a cool effect with the logo showing through the transparency, but it's very atypical. Speaking of the logo, it needs to direct the user back to homepage. I like the book shelf, but I think there needs to be more copy on the front page; good for search crawlers and would help inform readers about the site's objectives. A brief summary of what you have on your "About Us" page will suffice. Since this is a site for readers/writers, I was expecting more of a calm/warm/comfy vibe -- I don't see that here at all. The effects you chose scream "grunge," as opposed to "book worm." My advice to you would be to look at some of your competitors and co-opt their style to a degree.

Member #
    Ok, thanks for the input. When I have some time, I'll start messing with color palettes and all that, asI know it definitely needs a re-vamp.

Thanks !

Remove Ads