Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This website is no longer a portfolio. Quite frankly, I've decided to give up on trying to make a living as a graphic design, and just start up a web design blog as a hobby.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Hello Justin,

Where do I start... The whole site is a mess to quite honest and I mean that as gentle as possible seen as how I am not the best designer myself.

Logo
    You need a logo. You state on your Bio that you have used PS & Illy and have a eye for design but your logo doesn't convey that. As it stand right now, the Circle with the N in is very low quality making it look jagged around what should be a smooth sphere. The circle color doesn't match anything else on the site, color wise.

Overall Color Scheme
    Your overall color scheme does not match. You need to work with colors that complement one another and work together. As it stands right now, the Gray and black gradient with tan footer coupled with the header colors and the purple in the logo don't work together in harmony.... Again it is a mess.

Usually I will start a website by designing a logo then I apply that logo to a business card and then if I or the client is happy with how the logo and business card looks I will then start designing the website working off of the colors of the logo. Here http://mrpicky.net/ is my last website where I did just that.

I could go on but I feel bad. I don't want to crush your dreams. I can say that we were all here at one point or another. My first websites were looked exactly like this. Hopefully you will follow my advice with designing a nice logo first and then re/build your site around it. I was fortunate, my graphics and "eye for art" was good, it was was my design that needed to grow. With your portfolio how it is now everything needs to grow.

Good luck.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Let me link some great tools that will help you:

graphical elements:

reference guides:
    • http://www.w3schools.com/ Ultimate guide for everything from HTML to Jquery, great for those moments like, "oh crud whats the code for ... again" moments.
    • https://code.google.com/p/html5shiv/ not really a reference but a nice shortcut when coding in HTML5 helps with browser support
    • http://validator.w3.org/ USE THIS!!! its is very very very very important to validate before posting in any forum about a website issue. Like 99% of problems are simple mistypes and validators normally pick these up
    • http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ same thing but for CSS, VERY IMPORTANT!!
    • a note : there are validators for other languages but i don't use them yet so google php validator or whatever to find your validator..

Jquery Slider:

OK thats all I can think of for now. I have these book marked since I use them so much. I hope this helps.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Hey Justin, I see that you have updated your page. Now with a WP theme which I am not to big on (I would rather design from scratch, graphics and coding) but it is a start in sort of the right direction.

I do want to highlight a site that Gellegbs recommended and that is Color Picker which would be great to to find colors that work well together http://colorschemedesigner.com/ which is what plagued your first attempt and where your second attempt comes up short. The cool thing about this site is you can select colors in the color wheel and then select the Page example on the bottom right under the preview and it will show you how your site would look with the chosen colors. Cool trick.

What is your logo suppose to be?? Again it is jaggedlike it was done in Paint. What program are you using? The over all font needs to be changed as well. Just need to get you over this hump lol.

Below are some logo I have designed that might help you understand a logo can be simple, clean and effective. The top 3 logos where all done in 10 mins for people here on this forum. The two below were paying clients. You can see more of my work at http://fireproofgfx.deviantart.com/gallery/ I hope this helps.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Allow me to explain my logo.

The blue circle is suppose to be the ocean. The green is suppose to be the island of Newfoundland and the letters nd is Newfoundlanddesigner.com. The program I used was inkscape. As for this colorscheme website well. I chose a blue background design to match the logo...even though the background is brighter. But as you can see, on the blog, I used dark text on a white background because it's easier on the eyes. So what colorscheme would you recommend? Also, what font would you recommend?

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Allow me to explain my logo.

The blue circle is suppose to be the ocean. The green is suppose to be the island of Newfoundland and the letters nd is Newfoundlanddesigner.com. The program I used was inkscape. As for this colorscheme website well. I chose a blue background design to match the logo...even though the background is brighter. But as you can see, on the blog, I used dark text on a white background because it's easier on the eyes. So what colorscheme would you recommend? Also, what font would you recommend?
    if you're gonna use blue, please go for a more dull, toned down blue, or cyan. Bright blue is hard on the eyes.

Maybe like this?
    Hey you! Go make something!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I was thinking a darker shade of blue actually.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    GIMP is a nice free alternative to photoshop, and there are a ton of tuts online for it.

As a designer I think you will know after some time if you are the artistic type (can make kick *** graphics) or the more coding oriented type, as I learn i am discovering about myself I am ok with graphics so I know that some projects I will have to buy graphics and perhaps I am leaning towards the coding end (it is to be seen). Either way, explore your options. Do not limit yourself by slapping on a Wordpress theme and saying "this is it"! Continually seek out tutorials, keep a list of sites you admire and look for inspiration constantly, find out how they do it, etc.

I find web design a fun continuant process of learning, inspiration and trying new things, constantly progressing.

Perhaps I got a little too off on a tangent there but I think the idea I gave will help you with how to go about making your site. I can't tell you "this looks good, do that" because I am not you. But if you go and seek out yourself what you admire then at least you have an ideal for a website you want to achieve. And from what I see your site is like a blank canvas ready for the artist to place the first brush stroke.
    Fireproofgfx and shovenose like this.

Senior Member Web Outsourcing Gateway's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    compare to other web design blogs that I always visit, the design of your blog is kinda boring. But content wise, I like all the articles you posted in your blog, which I think is the most important.
    Justinfh2 likes this.
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs. Visit and connect us now for your Web Development and Design requirements.

P.S. If my post/reply is informative, helpful, or in any way entertaining, could you at least click the "Like" link just below this signature? That would be the best way to say thanks. And don't worry, I probably already clicked the "Like" link of your post if it helped me in any way. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Good lord man, please spend more time reading on art principles. Stuff like color schemes and white space are essential to making a website up-to-par in style. It's hard to see the benefit of art education at first, because it is in many ways, intangible, but believe me, it pays off now and in the future, as the principles stick with you.

Oh, and your picture of Newfoundland looks like a dinosaur fossil. I use Inkscape too, and I know that you can make much smoother graphics than what you have. Perhaps the pixelation came from skewing the size of the original image?

-R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads