Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello all,

I recently finished the first prototype of a redesign I'm doing for the Herald, Yale University's weekly newspaper that my sister works for. The prototype, located at http://uptonau.tripod.com/herald is meant to replace the current design, at www.yaleherald.com.

Don't worry-- nothing's broken. The prototype is exported from .psd format into .jpeg format.

The work is pro bono as the exposure and the url (www.yaleherald.com) would add variety and further credibility to my portfolio.

I've been informed of a few minor changes by the Editor-in-Chief that are related to the specific way the Herald does things as a newspaper (no lead for an Opinions piece, for example).

I look to the readers of WDF for critiques and comments regarding the merits and shortcomings of the design itself. Ratings would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Upton

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I really like to the idea of the columns coming down fromt he page, but I think they're too obtrusive. Also I don't like the ones in the background so to speak. I also think you're not letting enough width for content, and if you're doing a new site I reccomend using a liquid design to maximize use of space.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Yaz
    Member #
    VERY NICE!!!!
    I like the image at the top!!
    Very cool and appropiate font for the name(YALE HERALD).
    Nice use of culumns.

Now, here is my advice

-I strongly recommend using no more than 2 types of fonts. You have your Herald font, cool for titles such as Latest Headlines and Online exclusives, but dont use it for things like YALESTATION, YALEMAIL etc etc... Dont use Times new roman for text... use Verdana or Arial, they are good for monitor reading. The font you have for the menu is exellent.

- The image behind (Latest Headlines) its a litle bit too prominent, you have to dim it down a litle.

-I think you are not leaving enough room in the middle colum for the stories. So best advice like Brak up there said, make it liquid.

-You know the line that separates the headlines (far right column) and the middle column, make it a single line like the line underneath the menu to the left.

The idea is that you keep consistency troughout the site, choice of colours is very cool too, keep in mind that the ideal thing is to have only 3 colours tops.

Anyways, I'm interested in seeing how you are bringing this to life, because I think it may be tricky to make a fast loading site with all those images.

I hope it helps... I really like it.. very original!
    ..:: Yaz ::..

Member #
    I like the design, but I agree with Brak that the columns are too obtrusive. They are too dark and they appear to smother the content. Also, the date, search and advanced search line is hard to read because it's on top of the dark banner.

It does seem like this design needs more room for content. I think it can be done using a defined page width, but a liquid page width would give the most room possible.

Remove Ads