Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all!

I was hoping to get some thoughts on an upcoming redesign for FredtheMonkey.com that I'm putting together. I must admit I'm not a web designer (animator by trade) but sadly my desire to make free cartoons for people to enjoy means I can't hire out making the website to host them (since it makes no actual money). SO I'm hoping for some expert opinions by you who do this stuff more frequently than I.

Any thoughts are most appreciated. Any questions, just ask. I wouldn't know what to answer upfront since this isn't my area of expertise.

Here's the link to the design I've got so far.

Thanks a bunch for any advice!
    -JK

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    I had some problems connecting to your site and got a server time out.
    I see your hosted with pair networks.
    pair networks is a little pricey for the bang for the buck you get in my opinion.

no pun intended
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Definitely loads slowly.
    @bleau, I looked it up, holy cow that is expensive! lol!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the thoughts on the server end, I'll definitely look into that. I guess we use them because their office is literally down the hall and we can contact them anytime very easily.

Any thoughts on the design itself? The image one, not the current one (which yes, it very slow).

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    I think your new site will be fine when your get it completed and live.

I'll tell you now though. if you have a slow loading site it could make your viewers move on to another site and not wait for yours to load. It' can also hurt your seo.

I don't care how much a person loves a hosting company, how close they are to them and how easy it is to walk to their offices. If a new client comes in here, and we find they're being boinked with high prices and has a poor server load, we move them immediately to another host at less than 1/2 their prices with fast servers and much more bang for the buck. If they don't won't to move their site then we wish them well in finding another developer because we don't need or want the frustrations of slow and over priced servers.

Get going on your new site and get it live so we can see it working and have a tour of it.
    Bleau

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon, post: 240351
    I'll tell you now though. if you have a slow loading site it could make your viewers move on to another site and not wait for yours to load. It' can also hurt your seo.

I don't care how much a person loves a hosting company, how close they are to them and how easy it is to walk to their offices. If a new client comes in here, and we find they're being boinked with high prices and has a poor server load, we move them immediately to another host at less than 1/2 their prices with fast servers and much more bang for the buck.
    This is the best post ever!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I guess my difficulty is I've only ever used terrible, terrible hosting companies. I'm not aware of any GOOD ones out there. I started with Lunarpages back in the day, and they were hacked and my site was destroyed for like three weeks. Plus they'd randomly take servers down with no warning and there wouldn't even be any site up. Then I used a local place, small business operation and that went alright for a bit but then they stopped answering emails and were super hard to get a hold of. With Pair we can contact them anytime and actually get a real answer, so if the price is higher at least the horrors of the last two aren't happening.

Do you have any suggestions? I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for a new host. I absolutely don't want the previous situations I mentioned happening again. That's my biggest fear upon moving to someone else. That it doesn't WORK and then they don't bother being helpful.

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    There are a lot of good host now. We've found that the smaller host do us a much better job than the larger big name host do.

Two host that give us outstanding fast support, easy on the pocket book with all the bells & whistles and the best uptime we've ever had.

KVCH has Unlimited but seem to manager their servers well and we see very little downtime with them and our sites load fast.
    KVCH http://www.kvchosting.com

Hostmantis http://www.hostmantis.com
    They have the fastest servers we use now. Excellent support and excellent uptime. I think they also have a 50% off coupon for life on their forum.

We're also going to give our forum dude shovenose a shot pretty soon and see how he works for us.
    We've got a new client in his area so we're going to localize everything for him at his request
    http://www.keylimehosting.com

This forum has some of the best on it so ask and keep on asking if you need any kind of help. It's also a friendly forum and not eat up with arrogance and think they are wanna be's.
    Bleau

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Thanks for the recommendation bleau canon!
    I would also recommend JaguarPC they are also very good.

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 240387
    Thanks for the recommendation bleau canon!
    I would also recommend JaguarPC they are also very good.
    You're welcome, and well, my name is actually Carrie, and I'll post a link to bleau and canon.
    I'll leave the link up for a little while.
    Bleau

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads