Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello there!

I'm in the process of designing a new website for my online portfolio, to show potential employers what I can do and how far I've come from starting. I was told about using forums to get feedback, so here I am!

I'm in the middle of tidying up behind-the-scenes (including changing the JavaScript mouseover events into CSS hover, moving the faded background images to an IE-only stylesheet and implement CSS3, etc) so most of the things you point out there are probably being edited out.

(And I will get a better URL once the draft is complete and I have done some research into a new host).

Thanks guys!

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I think the design is a little to dark and some portions don't make sense. I think if you made the portfolio images, your photo and the graduation photos color it would add a little more life into the page and it wouldn't feel so melancholy.

If you keep everything to one page I would recommend adding a heading above the portfolio mid section. That was the first thing that drew my attention so I was hovering over them not know anything about what they were.

Underneath the About Bio, the images of the caps is confusing at first, For two reasons, first the bottom half of the image is not in my screen (1920x1080) so looking at it, I start to mouse over it to figure out what it is but nothing. So even when I scroll down and see the photo I don't automatically put 2 and 2 together because the caps image, education and graduation image are all "self" contained with the rounded corners making them look like they are not together. I understand your idea but I don't think it comes out as easily as thought out. I would say make each section square, and bring them closer together to help limit any confusion, but with that said your whole page has the same spacing between each section and everything is rounded so I don't know what to do lol because you should keep it all the same.

Member #
    Thanks for the feedback! I can see what you mean about the graduation image, but am glad you can see what I'm trying to do with it. I'll go back to the drawing board on that one!

I agree with the portfolio heading, it is to the right of the portfolio (under the image of me) however it shouldn't be there, it's out of place, so I'll move it.

As for the colour scheme, I think it's safe, but dull (a little dark, as you say). I tried making the images display their original colours to start with, but it didn't go with the rest of the design I thought, so I made it all greyscale. I shall try your suggestion another time however and get some more feedback on it!

Thanks again!

P.S. It says my website isn't validated CSS, when it is! :/

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Actually if you click on the "Invalid CSS" it will show you that it is in fact valid. I think that is a forum issue, not on your website coding.

I agree, on the color scheme, definitely see what others think, it might be different peoples tastes and so on something like this a few different opinions will help you.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Cut down on loading time. It took about 10 seconds to completely render first time I opened it.
    Also, the pink doesn't really match the theme.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Ok thanks for the feedback. Since the last time I asked for feedback, I've gone through a drastic re-design. I realised the previous design was absolute crap and I can do better! Take a look at the new design (still a draft ofcourse, but have added some nice features I've learnt). Same address. Thanks.

P.S. Still working on content though!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quite nice!
    -You Typo'd "Technical" on the home page
    -I would make the "Job Specification" box the same size as the one next to it

Member #
    Oops, corrected the spelling. Thanks, didn't notice until you pointed it out! *facepalm*
    I made the "Job Specification" box the same length, however had to get rid of it as I've implemented some jQuery to add a little engagement to the website. Opinions?

(content still not finished, am getting there though!) Thanks!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    It is just a really really really nice site
    about the new feature you added, sometimes it gets stuck at the big size and doesn't get smaller again until I click something else

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I like it a lot better than the original design! With that said though in needs some more graphics showcasing what you can or have done and maybe this will come when you build up a portfolio but it is definitely lacking right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads