Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please review

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Okay, so the back story is this;

I built this for my brother, everything except the reservation system, which I admit needs work, unfortunately it is in php and I am not extremely well versed (by any means) in php. I went to school in Boston for Graphic and Web Design and while they taught us how to use HTML and Photoshop and Dreamweaver and all the other fun designing programs, they spent one hour teaching php...

The rest of the site I know needs tweaks, the code (I think) is a mess and I know there are easier, more proper ways to do these things. If ANYONE would like to pick this thing apart and give me some pointers/tips/constructive criticisms. I would completely appreciate it!

Also if there is anyone out there that would like to pick apart the reservation system and help me out with that, I would appreciate that too...

Thank you!:wavespin:

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Hey there welcome to the forum. I looked over the site a little and found some issues that I have addressed below. I hope this helps.

• To many Meta keywords - you should only use around 10 keywords per page and they should be different keywords not all the same.
    • Your Meta description should be shorter and to the point and more descriptive as it is right now when your site comes up on Google all you read is:
      • You and your children will have the time of your lives on the most unique ride to come to the Riviera Beach Marina. Bring young and old alike aboard the Black ...
    • Need to Center the page
    • The overall look is to dark
    • Inline scroll bars are a pain in the arse.
    • Fonts are a mess. You have different sized fonts and maybe even different fonts all over the place. For example Home and History are different. Another example you made the Ahoy Matey's that matches the banner color and font but all of the other pages are different Font and color. You should have all the headings be the same including the Ahoy Matey's and if possible be done as <h1><h6> and given style rather than making them a graphic.

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    I agree, center the page.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Nice graphics used for the background, however, there was a very long load time for me (at least 10 seconds) to load up. Maybe you could try and reduce the quality of the image to load faster or try something else.
    IQ Catch Intelligent Dating for Smart People www.iqcatch.com

Member #
    The background has been an issue (among other things..) with this website, it's pirate themed, so any suggestions on how I can make it look "piratey" without sacrificing the theme? Also it would make everything sooo much easier if I could get it to stretch with content, you know, the way it SHOULD be..

Thanks for all the input, if anyone dares, I have a super "awesome" (super unloved) reservation system that needs an expert check out, it has a lot of issues, the origional designer left old bits and pieces in that aren't even used and are just taking up space...that in itself is another project...

What do you guys feel about the navigation...the double rows of buttons...?

<3 DG :wavespin:

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Had a look at the reservations, on Firefox, your website is aligned to the left with the field inputs aligned to the right of the page (see image), with Explorer your website is centered but items not aligned correctly in the content box. For load times you seem to have images at the top loaded on top of each other (i.e. in the same space), maybe if you could combine the logo_head.png image with the other image that is used in the same space, this could help reduce load times?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IQ Catch Intelligent Dating for Smart People www.iqcatch.com

Member #
    For some reason, the previous designer f the registration system created two duplicate css pages for our site, now I have a base2.css and a all-ie-only2.css...is that really neccesary? and would that contribute to loading time? I am not sure where you see the double images..unless you mean the navigation bar, I did it that way to change the color when you hover over the link...is there a better way?

Member #
    As for the alignment problem, unfortunately I haven't been able to fix that on firefox..or at least I am not finding where to fix that issue...I've only been at web design for two years now...but it's still frustrasting to see these things and not be able to fix them without someone catching it.. do I need to make a specific firefox css for the browser?:frantic:<---my brother's (my "boss")...lol

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    ...I am not sure where you see the double images..unless you mean the navigation bar, I did it that way to change the color when you hover over the link...is there a better way?
    http://tutvid.com/create-pixy-css-ro...aver-tutorial/

For some reason, the previous designer f the registration system created two duplicate css pages for our site, now I have a base2.css and a all-ie-only2.css...is that really neccesary?
    Try commenting out one of the css refs and see what happens. If the site still looks and acts the same, then it is not necessary to have them both. There might be very subtle differences in each of the style sheets. If there are, find the differences in code and integrate them into one sheet and ref only the integrated sheet

As for the alignment problem, unfortunately I haven't been able to fix that on firefox..or at least I am not finding where to fix that issue...I've only been at web design for two years now...but it's still frustrasting to see these things and not be able to fix them without someone catching it.. do I need to make a specific firefox css for the browser?
    Code:
    .wrapper {
        background-image:url(../images/bg-main.jpg)
        background-repeat:no-repeat;
        width: 900px;
        margin-left:auto;
        margin-right:auto;
    }
    .wrapper is a div class (you can use class [.] or id [#] for this) that wraps around the entire content of the page. Set only the width (usually the width of the BG image) and leave the height out. As you add content, the div will auto expand the height. By setting the margin-left and right to auto, it will auto align the div in the center of the browser. In some cases, IE will ignore the margin code. In this case, use text-align instead of margin.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx, post: 241009
    Hey there welcome to the forum. I looked over the site a little and found some issues that I have addressed below. I hope this helps.

• To many Meta keywords - you should only use around 10 keywords per page and they should be different keywords not all the same.
    • Your Meta description should be shorter and to the point and more descriptive as it is right now when your site comes up on Google all you read is:

• You and your children will have the time of your lives on the most unique ride to come to the Riviera Beach Marina. Bring young and old alike aboard the Black ...
    • Need to Center the page
    • The overall look is to dark
    • Inline scroll bars are a pain in the arse.
    • Fonts are a mess. You have different sized fonts and maybe even different fonts all over the place. For example Home and History are different. Another example you made the Ahoy Matey's that matches the banner color and font but all of the other pages are different Font and color. You should have all the headings be the same including the Ahoy Matey's and if possible be done as <h1><h6> and given style rather than making them a graphic.
    What do you suggest I use instead of inline scroll? Besides making the page longer, I've already stretched for the reservation system (and it still isn't looking correct) and I've already got a large space of emptyness on the home page...The font is an issue as well, I was told to use web safe fonts and anything else should be a graphic (also a pain in the bum) is there a better way instead of using times and stiking with the theme? I'm only using that particular font for titles...

Would anyone be willing to help me out with the php reservation system? I can pay you for your time, but the origional creator of said system takes a week to get back to me and a week to complete the task I'm asking of, and I am by no means trying to say anythign bad about them...
    they are very busy people...of course i'm the only one that understands this ( Brother--> :frantic::furious:, he's my business partner and "boss"...kinda, according to him) ANYWAYS! The rest of the site I don't mind help with either if anyone wants to come on and be part of the "team" (which includes me and my computer 'Little Mac') But need some SERIOUS help with the Reservation System, I just dont have the skill of learning fast and understanding everything like that *insert finger snap here*

Sorry if this is super long...

Thanks! :wavespin:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads