Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    123 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

*EDIT: This draft is still up, but I've uploaded the final draft as my main website*

Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to re-do my website for a while now and finally have something to show for it. This is not actually final, but a rough draft, but not a finished product (so it's in a subdirectory).

This is a 1-page website. Responsive design. I'm opting for a much simpler, more stylish, and more professional look than I currently have. The theme I'm aiming for is office supplies/stationary.

I have studied a bunch of 1-page websites and I've taken note of trends and uses of jquery for user-friendliness. I am still lacking a bit in art though, so that's why it looks really bland. Again, this is a draft. I want it up soon, but would love to first hear some feedback from WDF members.

Thanks.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Man, it's always nice to see clean design. Well done!
    Only comment is that the line-height in your <p>'s and <ul>'s may look a smudge inconsistent...

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Thanks. The 1 pagers that I modeled after were indeed, clean as heck, and I wanted to go in that direction as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lever, post: 241323
    Man, it's always nice to see clean design. Well done!
    Only comment is that the line-height in your <p>'s and <ul>'s may look a smudge inconsistent...
    Do you mean the text inside the tooltips? I made the font smaller and line-height smaller so that the tooltip would take up minimal height (to prevent the tool tip from being clipped). I might just scratch the tooltip and use Jquery's toggle function (the show/hide thing), as there won't be any clipping issues there.

-R

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I really really really really like it!
    Except make your email address something at ronswebsite or something instead of using Gmail. And PLEASE do your self a favor and ditch iPage! JaguarPC and Arvixe are good, check out my recommended list: http://www.michelstaake.me/recommended-hosts/

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 241348
    I really really really really like it!
    Except make your email address something at ronswebsite or something instead of using Gmail. And PLEASE do your self a favor and ditch iPage! JaguarPC and Arvixe are good, check out my recommended list: http://www.michelstaake.me/recommended-hosts/
    Hm... never saw the need for a domain email, but I might make the change (on my next set of business cards as well), because I plan to keep this domain name forever (because it's generic enough that I can use it for whatever I do!!). Might help reduce the amount of spam sent to gmail as well. Thanks.

By the way, everytime I see your signature box, I swear, it seems like you've re-made your site or your host sit.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Nice, slick design you have there. One major problem, though. I can only vouch for Chrome, but when I use the nav links on the site, the smooth scroll jumps. It's hard to explain, but it's almost like it smooth scrolls to the wrong spot, and then snaps to the right spot. It's a bit disorienting.

Other than that, I really like it.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 241359
    Nice, slick design you have there. One major problem, though. I can only vouch for Chrome, but when I use the nav links on the site, the smooth scroll jumps. It's hard to explain, but it's almost like it smooth scrolls to the wrong spot, and then snaps to the right spot. It's a bit disorienting.

Other than that, I really like it.
    Thanks for telling me this. I'm using someone else's smooth scroll JS and have come into that problem again and again. I really hate it and worse, I don't understand it. It seems to happen in Firefox too, but I thought it was just a glitch caused by me changing my window size (to test responsiveness). I thought I took care of it... alsdfjals;jf ljlaf:banghead:

-R

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Animation does not work. Its not in sync. When I click on the link its scrolls for a random amount of time an jumps the rest of the way. Like Ronald said, so far its only on chrome.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 241344
    Thanks. The 1 pagers that I modeled after were indeed, clean as heck, and I wanted to go in that direction as well.

Do you mean the text inside the tooltips? I made the font smaller and line-height smaller so that the tooltip would take up minimal height (to prevent the tool tip from being clipped). I might just scratch the tooltip and use Jquery's toggle function (the show/hide thing), as there won't be any clipping issues there.

-R
    Sorry it took so long to respond.

What I was looking at was your webskillz list. With the padding on each item, the spacing seems off to me. Maybe set the top and bottom padding to 0 and change the line height? Or conversely set top margin to be 14px... just something to make list items space the same as the paragraph above it.

I remember reading somewhere (though I can't remember where) that line heights should more or less multiples of the font size (eg. 'clean fractions' like 1.5) -- which in this case would be 42px.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Ya, fix the padding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads