Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    5.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello all,

My name is Charlie and I'm new to these forums, and new to web design as well. A complete novice to be honest.
    I run a company that records and produces music for dancers, and I currently have a range of CDs for Ballet which are currently on iTunes, Amazon and for sale via my own website

I made the website not only to fulfill the function of selling CDs and downloads directly to customers, but also to raise the profile of my company and name, primarily with the keywords 'music for ballet class' and 'charles mathews'
    The selling of downloads is accomplished via a php script that allows me to send a unique download code for each album that is dynamically generated and has time and usage limits to customers who purchase my digital download products. Payment is accomplished through Paypal, and I don't have any cart functionality.
    The website was designed by myself, from a heavily modified free CSS template. I did most the artwork myself as well in photoshop.
    I would very much appreciate constructive advice and reviews regarding the functionality of the website, its ease of use, its likely effectiveness in raising my profile (keywords for charles mathews compete against a victorian playwright who is currently much more famous on Google than me!) and also its general aesthetics. I would quite like a more catchy banner perhaps an image but I ended up really struggling with the design and layout to get a pretty banner that also allowed me to display the company name prominently, without pushing all the relevent content of the site too far down the page so that visitors have to scroll down to see anything that is actually useful.
    Many thanks!

Charlie

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    It's okay. I would definitely say that it's clean and well-organized. It's not mind-blowingly good according to current website standards, but I think that the type of people who buy ballet music would have a pretty easy time navigating and using your website.

If there's one thing I'd like to see, it would be spacing: padding in the content containers and between lines (line-height).

-R

Member #
    Hi Charlie, though you are new to web design, your performance regarding your website design is fine, but i want to say one thing that is, website is not looking so colorful, once if you use some bright colors then it will get awesome look and every one will show more interest to visit your site.

Senior Member Web Outsourcing Gateway's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    First of all, it's so nice to see that your website has sample music/track listing. When it comes to the design, well, it's not bad for a newbie. But honestly, it seems like a blog to me than a website. Perhaps the design and layout can still be improved if you will ask for the help of professionals. Functionality, it's very user-friendly and easy to navigate. However, I think it would be better if you will make your website a fully-functional e-commerce website.
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs. Visit and connect us now for your Web Development and Design requirements.

P.S. If my post/reply is informative, helpful, or in any way entertaining, could you at least click the "Like" link just below this signature? That would be the best way to say thanks. And don't worry, I probably already clicked the "Like" link of your post if it helped me in any way. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Not bad. I really like your top menu and header/logo. The sheet/content needs a margin and padding tho, so the text isn't starting right below where the white/beige area starts. I think you should fix those youtube and facebook icons too so they aren't smooshed down like that. I don't know that you need more color, but you could use more imagery and maybe shine or gloss to the site.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Its a good start. It looks nice and clean. There are a few things i would like to point out that could possibly be improved.

Home Page

1) Header/Navigation - Im my opinion your navigation and logo are a bit too big. Try to make the logo smaller and bring the navigation down a bit (about 20px)
    2) Social Network buttons - Your facebook and youtube buttons are a little stretched. I would maybe start over and make new graphics for that. Try to make them a little smaller and not as stretched. I would also advise you to make the buttons have some sort of hover effect.
    3) Sidebar - As i have been designing over the years(not as meny as i just made it sound) I learned a few simple but effective tricks to drastically improve the overall look of a design. In this case I would suggest you move down the content in your sidebar a little lower. Try to have about 15 to 25 pixels of padding between any content and the borders of a box.
    4) Main Content - Same thing as I said for sidebar. Move the content down a little. Also make the spacing between the sidebar and its content match with the main content and its content. I would also make the font a little bigger. Its a bit hard to see.

Biography Page

1) Header/Navigation/Container - When I go to this page the whole site shifts to the right about 10 pixels. This should defiantly be fixed. The rest same as home page.
    2) Content - Same advice as home page advice

Buy CDs Page

1) Header/Navigation - If you notice when you go on this page your navigation and header become a little smaller. Try to make them exactly the same to make it look more porfessional.
    2) Social Network Buttons - Same as home page advice
    3) Sidebar - Same as home page advice
    4) Main content - same as home page advice

Reviews Page

1) Header/Navigation/Container - Same as home page advice. Everything shifts to the left about 10 pixels
    3) Sidebar - same as home page advice
    4) Main content - Same as home page advice

Contacts Page

1) Header/Navigation/Container - Same as home page advice. Everything shifts to the right about 10 pixels
    3) Sidebar - same as home page advice
    4) Main content - Same as home page advice

Good luck!
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    hi charlie i am also new to this forum .. if you are new then if you have made anything then share with us so we can recommend you something new.. or rate your site/design

Junior Member CalgaryWebDesignNetwork's Avatar
    Member #
    Hi Charlie I thought your website was a great first effort, there are people with experience that don't do as good of job especially when new to things One obvious thing though if getting more picky is the fonts and their spacing on the page. Your headers and text are right at the top of your text boxes and shifted way to the left. Not sure if that's something your able to fix being new but if you can center the text better both horizontal and vertically it will make the look much more professional. Also a lot of the pages look very empty this is because of the layout and the albums on the left but filling it up better would also help. Whether that means writing a little more, adding pics or increasing font size it would bring together the look a little more. Like the simplicity and clarity of your site, organized neatly and easy to navigate. Maybe a few pictures of ballet or other dancers somewhere other than just the CD covers would help too if you have any. Think overall you did well I personally don't have an issue with the colours much it suits the tone of what you are selling. Good luck with your site!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Not too shabby! Nice and clean, and you really focused on the content, which is paramount.
    My 2 cents :
    - Facebook and Youtube links do not need as prominent as they are. I would put them below the Online Shop links, and make them a little smaller -- the 'listen links' on the left do a better job of giving lookers quick access to sample your material
    - The top links could perhaps be a little smaller, and right aligned

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    the website is really nice and i loved the theme and color combinations..

Remove Ads