Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi everyone. I'm doing my best to make a website for our company, even though css is new to me. Trying to solve a design problem. Any input would be appreciated.

This template started as 960px wide. My boss has decades of testimonials, and he wants them seen above the fold. [Confusion warning!] I'm moving the testimonials from under the slider to the newly created sidebar. 1280px wide now. Please disregard the location of the testimonials under the slider.

Additional problem to solve:
    We book comedians for lots of different events, none of which are necessarily more important. Each event will have a preview in the slider and its own page. Any ideas on how to organize lots of different testimonials so that someone scanning is more likely to distinguish a pertinent client quote for their event? Perhaps small icons that match the icons on the slider.

I'm posting two screenshots: dark sidebar, light sidebar.

Thank you in advance for any (positive!) feedback.

DARK SIDEBAR

LIGHT SIDEBAR

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Personally, I've never cared for dark backgrounds, but that's a decision that should be chosen based on the target market, not anyone's personal preference. From past experience, I've found that using colors as a sperator for defining content sections. If you want draw attention the any particular section of the site, a color difference has always been the best choice.

As for moving the tesrimonials "above the fold" that is a good choice. The less the visitor has to scroll to find important information the better.

ICONS or even thumbnail images are always a good choice to try a correlate information in one section to information in another section. The sections in such close proximity, you might consider .... I've seen sliders out there that have the capability of "scrolling" and highlighting content in one section while the main scroller is changing. Can't think of the name right off, but it could be modified to display the main image in the main slider area, as they transition from one slide to the next, scroll through and highlight the testimonial that is associated with that particular slide.

One other thing, you didn't ask, but I'm gonna say it anyway, using a gmail account and displaying it as your email contact for the site, is usually not the best professional way. I know many of my clients did that because thier "web person" told them, that's the way everyone does it. Nope, that is one of those first impression things, and from experience I've seen big jumps in responses from using an email addess that is actually associated with the site name ( instills confidence in a user that might be on the fence as to whether to contact you or not ), depending on your host, it may be as simple as just setting up a "forwarding email account" on your host, and just redirect all responses to "wherever".

Member #
    Thanks for the great suggestions and feedback, Webzarus!

I'm very new to web design, and I'm only doing it because I'm the guy at our business that does everything involving technology, whether I have any experience in it or not.

I'll create email addresses for us, like you suggest. Good point. I'll see what I can accomplish with that slider, too.

Time to regroup! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 242408
    Personally, I've never cared for dark backgrounds, but that's a decision that should be chosen based on the target market, not anyone's personal preference. From past experience, I've found that using colors as a sperator for defining content sections. If you want draw attention the any particular section of the site, a color difference has always been the best choice.

As for moving the tesrimonials "above the fold" that is a good choice. The less the visitor has to scroll to find important information the better.

ICONS or even thumbnail images are always a good choice to try a correlate information in one section to information in another section. The sections in such close proximity, you might consider .... I've seen sliders out there that have the capability of "scrolling" and highlighting content in one section while the main scroller is changing. Can't think of the name right off, but it could be modified to display the main image in the main slider area, as they transition from one slide to the next, scroll through and highlight the testimonial that is associated with that particular slide.

One other thing, you didn't ask, but I'm gonna say it anyway, using a gmail account and displaying it as your email contact for the site, is usually not the best professional way. I know many of my clients did that because thier "web person" told them, that's the way everyone does it. Nope, that is one of those first impression things, and from experience I've seen big jumps in responses from using an email addess that is actually associated with the site name ( instills confidence in a user that might be on the fence as to whether to contact you or not ), depending on your host, it may be as simple as just setting up a "forwarding email account" on your host, and just redirect all responses to "wherever".

Remove Ads