Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello, all!

I'm new to this board and relatively new to web design in general. I'm currently designing my first publicly-viewable page for a friend of mine, and I'm kind of stuck.

I guess the layout is okay, but it's gonna get A LOT of attention here locally (Nashville), and I'd like it to have more OOMF! to it. Anyway, I'm here to ask you guys if you can offer me any suggestions, layout wise. I know the content is kind of sparse (We're working on that, trust me!!!); I'm more concerned with the structure of the page and making it look better. I'm not sure I like the plain old navbar at the top and "frame bar" (I have no idea what the technical term for it is) at the bottom. Plus, the lady I'm designing it for wants a side bar kind of thing in addition to the top navbar (or maybe instead of it)...

Anyway, any thoughts?!?! Help, please?!?! Here's the URL (NO, I DIDN'T come up with the name)

http://www.yuyusisterhood.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I for one like it; it's very simple and extremely easy to find your way around.

However if you want to go nuts...do you have Photoshop and know how to use it? You could make some cool graphics (like I did for these forums )

In fact after looking at it for a few minutes straight I honestly can't find anything wrong with it. Now let me view it in different browsers and then we'll see just how bad it is
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Looks good in Mozilla 1.0 RC3 (Windows XP), IE6 SP1 (Windows XP), and IE5.2.2 (Mac OS X).

Of course Netscape 4 screwed up something. Screenshot attached; notice the link colors are wrong for the nav bar:

One pet peeve: never use three exclaimation marks! One is considered to be correct punctuation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Found the solution for the links: remove the quotes for the colors in your style sheet (quotes aren't supposed to be used in CSS often):
    Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    <!--
    a:link { text-decoration: underline; color:#ffffff }
    a:visited { text-decoration: underline; color:#ffffff }
    a:hover { text-decoration: none; color:#ffffff }
    -->
    </style>

Member #
    Great, thanks! I kind of like the simplicity of the site, but at the same time, there's too much white space in my opinion, and it's kind of boring. I really like the navbar you have here on the forums, which I'm guessing you did in Photoshop. I just recently got Paintshop Pro 7...my grandmother gave it to me. I'd imagine I could do that same thing with my navbar, but I don't know how to achieve that effect. I guess I'll have to go for some major tutorials somewhere!

And thanks for the tip on the stylesheets!

Anybody else have anything to add?

Member #
    I have both Photoshop 7 and PSP 7, and personally I think Photoshop is much better as far as creating professional-looking graphics go.

I suggest you design it with .shtml extensions, so that you can have sections on each page (e.g. a navbar) that are shared by all of the pages. That way, if you make a navbar change you'll only have to update the code on one page and not every single page of the site. Let me know if you would like more info about shtml, that is my forte.
    The Extent of my PHP Knowledge:

<?php
    print "In the Zone";
    ?>

Member #
    Perhaps you should add a bgcolor like this to take away some of the white space:
    Attached Images Attached Images

<?php
    print "In the Zone";
    ?>

Member #
    Always interested in learning something new! I'm sure this is a stupid question, but is SHTML compatible with all browsers, or is it more of an IE thing, like DHTML is? How does the modular coding thing work in shtml?

I know Photoshop is probably WAY better than PSP, but I don't have the money to fork over for it, and I'm not into software piracy (though I agree that it's almost ALL WAY overpriced). I guess I could download The G.I.M.P., tho. I guess I could find some good tutorials for that online somewhere...

Any ideas for my layout?

Member #
    Yeah, I thought about that. I was thinking about maybe doing the background in red like that but having the top line be angled to a point like a roof or something, but I think that'll push the content too far down on the page....

BTW, how'd you get that up so fast?! It'd take me forever to create those rounded corners!

Member #
    Originally posted by HanZnSolo
    Always interested in learning something new! I'm sure this is a stupid question, but is SHTML compatible with all browsers, or is it more of an IE thing, like DHTML is? How does the modular coding thing work in shtml?
    shtml works on browsers as obscure as Opera, so I don't think you'll have any compatibility issues.

I'm not sure what modular coding is, to be honest. :nervous:

<?php
    print "In the Zone";
    ?>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads