Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey people, finally got registered after a couple of days getting errors. Anyway, finally a forum with some web designers that know their stuff Heres my site, it's my web design company homepage and although I'm pretty pleased with it, go ahead and tear it to shreads Also check out my portfolio and feel free to go nuts with our shoutbox. heres the link Sirius20
    Thx in advance

Stephen Gilmour
    Sirius20
    Regards
    Stephen Gilmour

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Okay.. I'm gonna go through a lot of stuff I noticed. Overally, sleek design. But get some color in there! It's like a rainy day.

Also.. WHY AREYOU BEING REFERRED TO AS SIRUS20?? I'm sorry but this bugs the crap outta me. I'm not going to hire someone named "sirus20" I want a NAME, a REAL person. Especially in your testimonials... which gets me on some more. Your testimonials look totally bogus. They are filled with grammatical errors and saying things like "within a few hours" is just BS. Web Design doesn't work that way. I don't know if they're real or not, but from reading them, I think they are 100% BS.

Get rid of the middle scrollable area and make the whole site scroll... also don't break the back button (like when you view a portfolio). Get rid of the shoutbox and the admin link, no point in those. And I'd narrow down your links to professional based stuff, not "my unreal clan site" that's no good.

And one of your sites in your portfolio is hosted on lycos? =x

Overall, I think it would be a very nice home page, but a very lousy web design company page. It's way too personal and not businesslike enough.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Oh well, I am taking into account a few of the things you said. I am referred to as Sirius20 as it has been my online alias for a long time. The Smartoz.dk website WAS made by me in under 3 hours, I only made the template, doesn't take long. Yes one of my sites is hosted on Lycos, so I shouldn't include it in my portfolio? Anyway, thx for taking a look and taking the time to post. Your point about the personal links is noted and i agree.

Stephen Gilmour
    Sirius20
    Regards
    Stephen Gilmour

Member #
    I agree with what Brak has said, and have this to add:
    1. On top of the whole site being very gray, it's also hard to read. I took one look at your news page and left, because you had gray text on a gray bg, and it was WAY too hard to read.
    2. Your splash page. Splash pages are useless, they are another hurdle visitors must jump through to get to your page. But yours isn't easy to bypass. I was looking for a "skip intro" button near the animation, and then expected the animation to be clickable. The "proceed" button doesn't stand out enough IMO. Links should be underlined, it's what users expect.
    3. Pictures and more color would be a great improvement. The site is a strain on the eye to look at.
    Nice work overall, just needs some improvements. Welcome to the board!

Member #
    The bud, I'm just went into dreamweaver and photoshop and I'm working on fixing the things you guys have pointed out.

Things I'm working on:

Brightening up the site
    Getting rid of the iframe and going for a scrolling site
    Removing splash page (was gonna do that anyway)
    Making all links underline
    Removing all links that have nothing to do with web/computers

Ill post with a link as soon as I'm done.

Stephen Gilmour
    Sirius20
    Regards
    Stephen Gilmour

Member #
    OK, I've been working on this for the last 3 hours and I got rid of the inline frame, brightnened the site up and also got rid of the references to sirius20 and replaced them with our names. I removed the links that shouldn't really have been there and the link to the website that is hosted on Lycos space.
    Let me know what u guys think.

PS. I know there are bugs like on the shoutbox page at the bottom, but I REALLY need to go to bed.

Stephen Gilmour
    Sirius20
    Regards
    Stephen Gilmour

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Nice improvement... although download Firebird and I see some strange stuff.. it's like part of your header is a fixed bg... and the rest of the content scrolls.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    OK, i guess that is to do with the css i used. I can fix that but not tonight It runs ok for you in IE though right? thx again

Stephen Gilmour
    Sirius20
    Regards
    Stephen Gilmour

Member #
    I like the site better without the iframe, much better. Some more eye candy like the graphic in the header would brighten the site up more, great improvement so far.

Two small notes: I think it should be "Testimonials" and not "Testimonies" in the navigation, and on the home page, the 5 bulleted points look like they should be links. You should have info on them somewhere in your site, and if it's on the same page, make those anchored links.

EDIT: I also noticed that you have this page refreshing every 60 seconds. Unless you plan to make changes every few minutes, I'd get rid of that. This isn't a breaking news site, the refresh is unnecessary (and it could slow down your server/kill your bandwidth allotment if someone left your site open accidentally for a long period of time).

Member #
    it looks ok but its not very professional.
    It looks way better without the iFrame.. Get rid of the link to you 'clan' site.. Those things are lame....

good job

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads