Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is probably the right type of place to try to get this little issue we are having resolved.

There's this site I developed. Admittedly, I am generally more of a developer than a designer - but on this case, I did the majority of the design work. The owner likes the design. Our new graphic designer hates the design. I'm stuck in the middle, I suppose, but I tend to side with the owner as he is, after all, the customer.

But I like to get second, third, and hopefully many opinions and see what a more broad reaching variety of minds have to say.

Now, the biggest concern is the logo. Owner loves it. I made it, and I'm not married to it - I think there is always room for improvement! But our graphic designer swears up and down that this logo 'is too cold and uninviting'. I'm not really seeing that... so, you tell me, please, I really would like some other [graphic designer] input on this.

Ok, I guess none of this will get anywhere unless I put some kind of linky thing in here so you all can actually see and judge for yourselves!

So here it is - just visit: skratchworks.com. In case the link thing above didn't work out...

Be blunt, be honest, don't worry about my feelings, I'm just a lowly developer who is more accustomed to PHP code highlighting than the output on the frontend. :P

Thanks in advance your participation in helping me collect some critiques to resolve our design dilemma!!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm more of a developer myself, but I do have a bit of understanding of the other side as well. The answer you seek isn't going to come from me, you, anyone else you ask, the owner, or the designer. It's going to come from your target market. If they like it, whatever any of us say doesn't matter.

Having said all of that, I'd actually say that the logo isn't your biggest concern. Your biggest concern is that the home page doesn't give me the foggiest idea of what the site is about or what Skratch is or does. I looked at the about us page, and it reads more like someone whose ego is getting a bit in the way of what could be an interesting architectural innovation.

This may also explain why I'd side more with the designer on this, whereas normally I wouldn't. Siding with the owner just because he's the client is never the correct approach even though it sounds like it should be; by siding with him, you're effectively letting him dictate to you rather than approaching it as a collaborative effort, which in turn means that he's not letting you do what you do best (or in this case, the designer). I don't particularly care for the logo either, but then again, that's aesthetics and I don't usually comment on those because again...my opinion doesn't matter much.
    Periculi likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for the quick response!
    "Your biggest concern is that the home page doesn't give me the foggiest idea of what the site is about or what Skratch is or does"
    I've kind of been feeling that too. The home page is a new version we just put up this week, and it felt like there are some important things missing there to me... lol

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah...like what it's about or does.
    Periculi and AlphaMare like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Logo

To start off, I don't like the logo, I wouldn't even call it a logo to begin with, all it is, is Clip masked text and it can be viewed as cluttered and uninspiring. I understand the concept you are going for but this is not what you do for a "true" logo/brand. I would rather you do this type of clip mask text on each of the categories rather than the current mouse over effect you currently have. I think you should have the "graphic designer" design the logo since that is what he gets paid to do and that is more along the lines of their skill set. I would be interested in comparing what the G.D. makes with this and go from there.

Website

I am not fond of the website right now. I don't like having to mouse over each image to get a menu option, it is to clunky in my opinion. Also I don't like the overall color scheme of the site, it is to gloomy and I know a lot of people (maybe just graphic designer community) HATE the scan line look, though I am partial to them. If you want to fine tune your overall color scheme go here and fine colors that blend and compliment each other.
    Periculi likes this.

Member #
    Thanks for your review. Haven't heard "gloomy" yet, but I can see where you are coming from. That's a great resource you linked for me on the color scheme, much appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Your welcome, I am usually not that descriptive with my choice of words but that is just how the site came across to me. I am glad you like the Kuler link and I hope it helps.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I don't care for the logo either. As for the site, other than your social media side tab, it has a very late 90's feel to it. Blocky, too brash, and very unclean. Less is more in today's design field. All the images on the home page divert from the meaning you are trying to convey. I will agree completely that it is very hard to decipher what it is the site is for and what it is you do.

Remove Ads