Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi

I've just complete a major redesign of my website SleepForAll.com. It has gone from a very basic custom made Wordpress theme to a much improved Genesis theme which I've extensively tweaked.

The purpose of the website itself is to help people with insomnia and sleep problems by providing them with a range of articles so they can better understand their situation, so I've put a lot of effort into making the website very readable and easy to navigate. I've tried to get the balance right between showing what's on offer and allowing the user to focus on the article in front of them.

I'm still very much willing to tweak the design to further improve it, so I would be very grateful for any feedback or suggestions you may have.

Thanks for looking!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Actually, I don't think it will even phase them... From what I've seen in log files ... Bots and or hackers use scripts that seek out the pages that give them a response... Since your htaccess file is set to re-write the PHP extension to .htm extension... But not actually do anything else... The bots are going to hit the .htm files with the same thing they hit the .php files with... As long as thy are receiving a 200 response from our server, they really don't care what you name your files.

For the lesser experienced visually, yeah, they think you're running static files... But those people aren't going to be running a SQL injection script against your site... Thy are going to be the one tryin to gain access to your admin area, they are not the ones that are going to be hitting your server with "post" scripts to see if you left a permission un set.

Bots ( hackers use bots to find sites that may not be secure ), and run their scripts in a matter of seconds.... They will call... Index.htm, index.html, index.php, index.asp ( and all the standard default file names ) ... Which ever responds with a 200 response ... They will adjust their scripts for.

In the time it took for me to write this post, bots have hit probably 30 or more sites looking for a vunerable one.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 244447
    Actually, I don't think it will even phase them... From what I've seen in log files ... Bots and or hackers use scripts that seek out the pages that give them a response... Since your htaccess file is set to re-write the PHP extension to .htm extension... But not actually do anything else... The bots are going to hit the .htm files with the same thing they hit the .php files with... As long as thy are receiving a 200 response from our server, they really don't care what you name your files.

For the lesser experienced visually, yeah, they think you're running static files... But those people aren't going to be running a SQL injection script against your site... Thy are going to be the one tryin to gain access to your admin area, they are not the ones that are going to be hitting your server with "post" scripts to see if you left a permission un set.

Bots ( hackers use bots to find sites that may not be secure ), and run their scripts in a matter of seconds.... They will call... Index.htm, index.html, index.php, index.asp ( and all the standard default file names ) ... Which ever responds with a 200 response ... They will adjust their scripts for.

In the time it took for me to write this post, bots have hit probably 30 or more sites looking for a vunerable one.
    Lol it appears it wasn't a very well written article.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov, post: 244449
    Lol it appears it wasn't a very well written article.
    I'm sure it came across as accurate and informative, but that's the problem with 99% of the stuff posted on the Internet. Especially when it comes to tech issues and security, you should find a credible resource.

Hopefully it wasn't a blog post on the subject... If it was... Then lesson learned.

Listen... I am Not the know all / be all... But I have been doing this stuff a very long time and having done it old school style for so long ... I've learned a few things...

BTW... Your question about file extension affecting SEO ? Nope, not a bit... Search engines used to give a little more weight to content on static pages... But they stopped that 4-5 years ago, when over 60% of all websites are using some sort of DB or CMS... So weighting rankings on static sites became irrelevant.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 244447

What he said...since it's a much better explanation than mine.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 244358
    I'll be honest with you...when I first saw your link and description, my thought was "oh CRAP, another thin affiliate site". I'm glad that I appear to have been wrong.

It looks like you've put some thought into what you were doing and tried to come up with something useful, which is the big thing. My wife's a notorious insomniac herself, so I might have her have a look at this (I, on the other hand, generally sleep through hurricanes). Yes, you've got ads, and you have affiliate products, but in this case, you bloody well should have them...you've actually tried to build something useful, and if you make money off of it, it's well-earned.
    Thanks very much for your comments.

I've been very careful not to go down the well trodden snake oil marketer route, but at the same time try to build a respectable income.

I only use one Adsense ad per article, which you can obviously avoid if you use Adblock, and I recommend a single product at the bottom of each article.

I've tried to make so people can completely ignore the advertising if they wish, but while at the same time promote awareness of products that might help them.

I really love the affiliate model of getting paid for bringing attention to great products though great content, but its been dragged through the dirt by people who try to use it as a get rich quick scheme.

The big thing I would recommend is to either include the rel="nofollow" attribute on your affiliate links or (ideally) pass them through a jump script that bots are forbidden from crawling. The latter is a lot harder, though, and for your goal the former should suffice.
    That's a very good point, I think some of the affiliate links might be no follow, but the vast majority definitely aren't. I'll get that sorted.

The only other thing I would recommend is to use Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; for your body font. Don't default to Helvetica...it looks horrible on any browser on a PC that doesn't have anti-aliasing enabled (e.g. Chrome). No one seems to know this, though, so that's not on you.
    I had no idea about that! Thanks for letting me know, that's definitely something I'll look to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by donkey123, post: 244368
    Looks very clean and visually easy on the eyes, looks very good. Would like to have some move-over images on some of the action buttons "Sign Up Now" and "Send". Also good to have the border change color in the contact fields too, so the user knows where the cursor is.
    Good ideas, should definably help with usability. I'll look into getting that done.

Quote Originally Posted by donkey123, post: 244368
    Have a question, I guess this would be a CMS (php) in the back ground?, but you are using a URL with a .htm on the end, does this help with the Google rankings at all?
    It's running on Wordpress, but I deliberately added the .htm to the end of the URLs. The reason I've done this is because a few years ago, the site was built using static HTML pages.

When I migrated to Wordpress, I wanted to keep the old URLs for two main reasons. First, because I don't think I knew how to do a redirect the time and I didn't want to mess up my search engine rankings, and second because I would have lost the numbers on the social media counters. So even for new content, I always add the .htm part at the end of the URL for consistency.

I've read about the security reasons for doing this, but I think it's rather hard to hide the fact you're using Wordpress in the code. Plus since it's the most popular CMS, I'm sure most hackers will try a few Wordpress hacks as standard anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by reynoldsdigital, post: 244402
    It looks good but maybe have a header image as there aren't any above the fold on the home page
    The main reason I went for the simple text logo with the moon image is because the website has been designed to be responsive to screen size, and I'm not sure how well a full header image will scale down. Plus I don't really have a brand as such to promote, so I went for simple rather than flashy. It's something I'll definitely keep in mind for the future though.

Thanks very much for all the great feedback.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquatic, post: 244487
    I've read about the security reasons for doing this, but I think it's rather hard to hide the fact you're using Wordpress in the code. Plus since it's the most popular CMS, I'm sure most hackers will try a few Wordpress hacks as standard anyway.
    You're right...but only if they can detect a WP install (which, as you said, isn't difficult...if nothing else, all the folders associated with WordPress are wp-something-or-other). They generally don't if they can't detect a WP install, although there may be an exception as it pertains to comment forms of any sort...hackers love those.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads