Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi

I've just complete a major redesign of my website SleepForAll.com. It has gone from a very basic custom made Wordpress theme to a much improved Genesis theme which I've extensively tweaked.

The purpose of the website itself is to help people with insomnia and sleep problems by providing them with a range of articles so they can better understand their situation, so I've put a lot of effort into making the website very readable and easy to navigate. I've tried to get the balance right between showing what's on offer and allowing the user to focus on the article in front of them.

I'm still very much willing to tweak the design to further improve it, so I would be very grateful for any feedback or suggestions you may have.

Thanks for looking!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'll be honest with you...when I first saw your link and description, my thought was "oh CRAP, another thin affiliate site". I'm glad that I appear to have been wrong.

It looks like you've put some thought into what you were doing and tried to come up with something useful, which is the big thing. My wife's a notorious insomniac herself, so I might have her have a look at this (I, on the other hand, generally sleep through hurricanes). Yes, you've got ads, and you have affiliate products, but in this case, you bloody well should have them...you've actually tried to build something useful, and if you make money off of it, it's well-earned.

The big thing I would recommend is to either include the rel="nofollow" attribute on your affiliate links or (ideally) pass them through a jump script that bots are forbidden from crawling. The latter is a lot harder, though, and for your goal the former should suffice.

The only other thing I would recommend is to use Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; for your body font. Don't default to Helvetica...it looks horrible on any browser on a PC that doesn't have anti-aliasing enabled (e.g. Chrome). No one seems to know this, though, so that's not on you.

I like it, though. It's simple, it's easy to read, the colors are appropriate, etc.
    Aquatic likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Looks very clean and visually easy on the eyes, looks very good. Would like to have some move-over images on some of the action buttons "Sign Up Now" and "Send". Also good to have the border change color in the contact fields too, so the user knows where the cursor is.

Have a question, I guess this would be a CMS (php) in the back ground?, but you are using a URL with a .htm on the end, does this help with the Google rankings at all?
    Aquatic likes this.
    IQ Catch Intelligent Dating for Smart People www.iqcatch.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Google generally doesn't care about extensions. I say "generally" because there are certain, fairly obvious, extensions that raise red flags (e.g. .exe, .com, .bat).

He's using WordPress...hence the Genesis theme reference.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It looks good but maybe have a header image as there aren't any above the fold on the home page
    TheGAME1264 and Aquatic like this.
    Reynolds Digital - WordPress web designers based in London - Web Design London

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not sure on that...normally I'd agree, but in this case, I'm thinking the site's better off without it. At least this way the user can read about the site and get into it as quickly as possible.

Definitely something that should be tested, though. I'm not really sure whether a header would work or not.
    Aquatic likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey123, post: 244368
    Looks very clean and visually easy on the eyes, looks very good. Would like to have some move-over images on some of the action buttons "Sign Up Now" and "Send". Also good to have the border change color in the contact fields too, so the user knows where the cursor is.

Have a question, I guess this would be a CMS (php) in the back ground?, but you are using a URL with a .htm on the end, does this help with the Google rankings at all?
    If I'm understanding you I do this all the time. You simply edit the htaccess file to write php extensions as htm and vice versa.
    donkey123 likes this.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Thanks Andrew, but why do it? is there a benefit to having a .htm extension?
    IQ Catch Intelligent Dating for Smart People www.iqcatch.com

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey123, post: 244424
    Thanks Andrew, but why do it? is there a benefit to having a .htm extension?
    I read an article a about a year ago. It was something along the lines of "for better security" or something of that sort. I though it was a good idea so started doing that. I guess it disguises the extension from php to html so no one attempts to hack the site?
    donkey123 likes this.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    People (and bots) will still try to hack it regardless. But the short version of what you probably read is that it's harder to guess the programming language used, and therefore make it harder to hack as a result. It won't stop a hacker who really wants to try...it'll only slow the hacker down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads