Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi All
    just finished this 3D Vehicle Profiler for Rally austalia (part of the World Rally Championship).

Let me know what you think of it
    click here

Details of Job
    All cars were created in 3D Studio Max 5
    Textures designed in Photoshop 7
    Authored in Flash MX

Total time for project - 6 weeks, 1 designer

thanks guys

- James
    ------------------------------------------
    www.torpedo.com.au

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Very impressive as a toy. My only complaint and praise is that its in flash... meaning a big hit on accessability, but it also makes the site very impressive and has the entire functionality for the site
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    thanks, I would've liked to use a third party plugin such as cult3d to give more flexibility in terms of scalability and filesize - but then the end user would need to download the plugin (fairly big too). As it turns out though, 97.4 percent of uses have Flash installed (according to macromedia), and afterall, the plugin isnt that big to download anyway.

thanks for the critz/comps

-J

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Oh I agree.. I was more referring to the Search Engine indexing part (the fact that none of the site will be indexed) Perhaps you should think about adding in a html version that just has the information for each car.. but that would be a lot of work.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    yeah, true, but unfortunately time didnt permit event is a few weeks away now

-J

Member #
    another downside to flash is the added download time which can get annoying. especially for people who are lumbered on dialup.

The site handles itself well and is displayed fantastically. As a designer i can see the downside to it though the general public will only see the flashy buttons and cool cars so you've done a great job..

4 out of 5

Member #
    The site took a little while to load, even on my cable connection, so I would bet that dial-up users are choking. The different cars in the nav should have mouseovers, IMO, and sounds on mouseover, not mouseout.

Clicking on each pages, the expand animation is cool, but distracting. I'd rather see the site be that larger size from the begining. Also, as cool as the 3D model is, the fact that there is still more loading once the flash site is loaded is a little frustrating.

3 out of 5.

Member #
    fair enough... Ive heard both sides of the argument on various forums now, some say the downloads are too big/take too long, some say that they would prefer to see a higher res version with less artifact (which would take longer to download)

I certainly agree on the mouseover comments though...

thanks for your comments.

cheers

James

Member #
    As a designer, you did your job in supplying a lower res and a higher res of each profile. You cant expect to host something in today's world of low speed home connections and limited bandwidth and space to accomodate to people who want less artifacts and those that are too impatient to download and view your site content. They come to you for the quality and the information, and its how you get the information out. Users who dont wanna spend as much time loading, and are willing to sacrifice quality for speed can get the smaller version at 1/3 the size. Or, if willing to wait, they can get the larger format. Sure a lot of us would love a 1024x res format and be willing to wait 5 minutes to download it, but its not cost effective to you to allow it, especially in austrailia. Only boggle is why the text is so blurry at the bottom, could be my 3am eye sight!

So again, I say you did your job as best as possible. Hell, least they could of done is given you access to REAL cars to take the 3d photos of :P

Shawn

4/5 Score from me

Remove Ads